Greta Van Fleet

Ace Nova

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanna say that I recently listened to both EPs for the first time, as well as all of the new singles thus far, and HOLY SHIT this band is awesome! So remarkable how professional and talented they are, and at such a young age too!!

and for the record, I like how they sound nearly identical to Zeppelin. The more of that, the merrier.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

The newest song Anthem, IS catchy, it gets stuck in your head. But if I'm honest, the lyrics are pretty bad. It really says NOTHING of importance or note. To borrow from Seinfield, "Its a song about nothing." Which not every song has to have some sort of deep meaning, but to name it "Anthem", but then say nothing, just feels hollow imo. I was just hoping for a little more out of the band on this album, and so far... not impressed if I'm honest. I like the From the Fires EP better so far. I was REALLY hoping this song would be the "raise the lighters" song from them. Which I'm sure their diehards will do that, but it's just not worthy of that imo. I just haven't heard much or any growth in them from the first ep to this album. Honestly, I might argue they have regressed. Highway Tune is STILL their best song imo. Lover Leaver Taker Beliver is GREAT live, because even though its lacking lyrically, they jam it out for like 10 mins (and it sounds Zeppelin like for sure). But on the album they shortened it to like 4 mins... That's like a 4 minute version of Coma or Kashmir, it just looses the "cool" factor by trying to make it into a single. 

I'm afraid they have bought into their own hype before they really deserved it. Let's be honest here, they are a nice little band with some great potential, but potential and REALIZING that potential are two VERY different things. If these boys are the "saviors of rock" I'm pretty nervous at this point. Why? If they came out in the 70's, 80's, or 90's they wouldn't have been able to rise to the top, because they dont have the SONGS to do it. I can't put them above Ratt, Poison, (name a band) at this point. Let alone put them next to Zeppelin. So because they are proving to be the best rock band (from an era that BARELY understands what rock is), we are supposed to over look their weaknesses? It's called constructive criticism... They are NOT going to get any better if we give them a pass for mediocre songs. 

Look, I am HONESTLY rooting for this band, I WANT to like them. My 13 year old daughter LOVES them. My wife is taking her to see them in December here in Detroit. My wife and I have a  Thirsty Thursday" most weeks, and we usually listen Vinyl during those happy hours. Well last week we listened to Use Your Illusions 2, and during songs like Breakdown, Estranged, and Locomotive I pointed out the "depth" and poetry to Axls lyrics, to my wife and daughter. Which I'm not asking for THAT much depth to GVF's lyrics, but SOME would be nice. When I woke up Friday morning I saw "Anthem" was released, so I listened to it... and those lyrics are cringeworthy BAD imo. SO far removed from what the three of us were listening to the night before. Yes the song is catchy, yes it will get stuck in your head. But it's a song full of "fluff". A song about nothing.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I think the exciting thing about Greta isnt so much their sound (which I really dig) but what they represent. There hasnt been an all new, young rock band to grab the world's attention like this in decades. They have exploded at an unprecedented scale. I dont remember a rock n roll band doing that in the mainstream's eye like that in my teenage and young adult life. Adults that grew up in the 60 s-70 s like them, teenagers and young adults like them, its awesome! 

They have the energy and that "it" factor, which leads them to have that chemistry together that reminds me of the old legendary bands of yore. That in itself makes them really refreshing to me even though their music is clearly influenced by Led Zeppelin and the like. That doesn't bother me either; they take their influences and wear them in their sleeve. Zeppelin straight up plagerized for much of their first record, anyways. Doesnt make me like them less. This is their first full album and they seem to already be branching out a bit from their EPs. They have a lot of career ahead of them and plenty of room to grow. I think they have some good tunes, too. I really dig Talk on the Street, Edge of Darkness, When the Curtain Falls, etc.

They arent my favorite band or even new band (Royal Blood is) but Id call myself a fan and I'm excited to see them and how they carry on. Doesnt hurt they are from Michigan, either. lTheyrolde off to a great start. 

Also, it seems like Lover, Leaver is a radio edit and the album version will be 6 minutes @Iron MikeyJ. Really looking forward to hearing that. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 4

On 10/14/2018 at 8:33 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I think the exciting thing about Greta isnt so much their sound (which I really dig) but what they represent. There hasnt been an all new, young rock band to grab the world's attention like this in decades. They have exploded at an unprecedented scale. I dont remember a rock n roll band doing that in the mainstream's eye like that in my teenage and young adult life. Adults that grew up in the 60 s-70 s like them, teenagers and young adults like them, its awesome! 

They have the energy and that "it" factor, which leads them to have that chemistry together that reminds me of the old legendary bands of yore. That in itself makes them really refreshing to me even though their music is clearly influenced by Led Zeppelin and the like. That doesn't bother me either; they take their influences and wear them in their sleeve. Zeppelin straight up plagerized for much of their first record, anyways. Doesnt make me like them less. This is their first full album and they seem to already be branching out a bit from their EPs. They have a lot of career ahead of them and plenty of room to grow. I think they have some good tunes, too. I really dig Talk on the Street, Edge of Darkness, When the Curtain Falls, etc.

They arent my favorite band or even new band (Royal Blood is) but Id call myself a fan and I'm excited to see them and how they carry on. Doesnt hurt they are from Michigan, either. lTheyrolde off to a great start. 

Also, it seems like Lover, Leaver is a radio edit and the album version will be 6 minutes @Iron MikeyJ. Really looking forward to hearing that. 

I've thought about what you said here, and I see your point. As such, I'm gonna start to look at them through more of THAT lense. I guess for me, even though it HAS been a while since a rock band grabbed people's attention, it isn't a "new" thing, because I'm old, lol. I remember Van Halen being IT. I remember Guns ruling the world, Metallica, and others. Heck I still remember 90s bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Sublime, and others really catching fire. Tool and (unfortunately) Limp Bizkit were probably the last bands that really seemed to catch on with the youth. Yes it's been a while, but all of those bands, and plenty of others I recall really being "it" for a while. So I guess that has clouded my perception I suppose. So I can see how it is good that the youth having a new band to latch onto is a good thing.

We were listening to the album this morning while my daughter was getting ready for school. I will say, as I've said before, I like their sound. But I still feel something is missing, honestly it might be songwriting. I haven't heard anything from this album that I would say "that's a good song." Honestly I like Highway Tune and Talking in the streets better than anything I've heard from the new album. Maybe it'll grow on me... I was just hoping for a little more, hearing some growth. It feels a little rushed imo. Which I blame the producer, they need a new one imo. Go get Mutt Lang, lol. What's he doing these days??? He would get more out of them imo.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, triad said:

And the live version is 26 minutes.  

This is amazing. It reminds me so much of old Zeppelin and I mean that In the best way. Its like Zep's massive As Long As I Have You, Dazed And Confused, While Lotta Love, etc versions from the first half of their career. Those extended versions with the jamming, other song snippets, covers and other songs, etc are one of my favorite things about Zep and Greta did a phenomenal job there. Love it. 

I really like the new album. Its still very Zeppeliny but they do a good job writing more pop structured songs with that sound. Pleasently surprised with all the acoustic on it. My favorite songs are Age of Man and Brave New World. Those even sound early Rush-like at times. Josh's vocals are the highlight but they all do a good job. Great growth from their EPs

Ya, we were just listening to it some more. The 6 min lover leaver I like MUCH better than the short one. I also like Brave new world, those are my favs so far. I also feel Anthem works better in context of the actual album. By itself as a single... The songwriting feels flat imo. I also agree that Josh sounds more Geddy Lee like than Robert Plant like. Which I dont really like Rush, if I'm honest. 

On a side note, Lover Leaver was ABSOLUTLEY "inspired" by Oh Well. I'm not gonna hold that against them though, Double Talkin Jive was also "inspired" by Oh Well. 

The album is growing on me. But I still would say Highway Tune is their best single.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I've thought about what you said here, and I see your point. As such, I'm gonna start to look at them through more of THAT lense. I guess for me, even though it HAS been a while since a rock band grabbed people's attention, it isn't a "new" thing, because I'm old, lol. I remember Van Halen being IT. I remember Guns ruling the world, Metallica, and others. Heck I still remember 90s bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Sublime, and others really catching fire. Tool and (unfortunately) Limp Bizkit were probably the last bands that really seemed to catch on with the youth. Yes it's been a while, but all of those bands, and plenty of others I recall really being "it" for a while. So I guess that has clouded my perception I suppose. So I can see how it is good that the youth having a new band to latch onto is a good thing.

We were listening to the album this morning while my daughter was getting ready for school. I will say, as I've said before, I like their sound. But I still feel something is missing, honestly it might be songwriting. I haven't heard anything from this album that I would say "that's a good song." Honestly I like Highway Tune and Talking in the streets better than anything I've heard from the new album. Maybe it'll grow on me... I was just hoping for a little more, hearing some growth. It feels a little rushed imo. Which I blame the producer, they need a new one imo. Go get Mutt Lang, lol. What's he doing these days??? He would get more out of them imo.

I think "what's missing" is a combination of things. For me the first one is the guitsr work. Jake is a very good guitarist and has all sorts of awesome riffs and parts on this album, but I'd like to see a few more stand out solos. His solos always serve the song as a whole, and thats the most important thing, but he hasnt tracked one that takes a song to the stratisphere, yet. Again, his solos are enjoyable and serve the song, Id just like to see him take them to the next level as they keep going.

Second reason is the most obvious for me, the comparisons to Led Zeppelin. That's a huge pro and also a big con. It's a pro because that is the single reason they are taking the world by storm. The single thing that makes Highway Tune so remarkable is that it instantly makes the listener think its a long lost Zeppelin song. Its uncanny. As a massive Zep fan I can say theres no better band to be compared to, but its also a con because they will never be as good. I dont know how much that matters in the long run. If they are supposed to be the band that rejuvenates rock in a more mainstream light, that probably isnt as much of a good thing. If they are supposed to plateau, then I dont think sounding like Zeppelin matters. They seem afraid of the Zeppelin comparison, too. Josh has diminished the Zeppelin connection, when that is clearly not true. It isnt just his tone, but his dress, mannerisms, and performances are straight out of early Zeppelin shows. Jake's guitar is just like early Jimmy Page, although I think hes admitted to emulating Page. I will say there are signs of musical diversity branching away from Zeppelin on the new album. I want them to lean towards the first category where they keep getting bigger, so that's a good thing. 

Finally, this is just personal opinion, but they dont have a Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child O Mine, Dream On, Hotel California, etc yet. In my opinion, they don't have a legendary, timeless song yet and that's totally ok. This is their first full album and they are super young. They do, imo, have a lot of good to really great songs and thats super promising.

I don't want to seem like I'm ripping on them, Id call myself a big fan of theirs after this release. They arent trail blazers pioneering new sounds lile Zep was 50 years ago so constructive nit picking and more of a microscope is warranted etc, especially with the insane hype. There are lots of cool ideas on this album, and not all songs are carbon Zeppelin copies. A few are, but they nail the sound and song structure so I dont mind as much. My favorites right now are the more creative songs like Brave New World and Age of Man. Great songs and Josh has a superb nack for melody. Vocals are killer and theres a lot of musical diversity which I appreciate. I also like how their song writing isn't all so derivative and I think they'll get better at getting more creative as they keep playing. That 30 minute Lover, Leaver shows they have the ear for good transitions and musicianship.

I think When the Curtain Falls is a safe song but a great lead single choice and I really like the album. I just hope these guys aren't a flash in the pan, I honestly cant remember the last time an all new rock band was given this shot by the general public

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think "what's missing" is a combination of things. For me the first one is the guitsr work. Jake is a very good guitarist and has all sorts of awesome riffs and parts on this album, but I'd like to see a few more stand out solos. His solos always serve the song as a while, and thats the most important thing, but he hasnt tracked one that takes a song to the stratisphere, yet. Again, his solos are enjoyable and serve the song, Id just like to see him take them to the next level as they keep going.

Second reason is the most obvious for me, the comparisons to Led Zeppelin. That's a huge pro and also a big con. It's a pro because that is the single reason they are taking the world by storm. The single thing that makes Highway Tune so remarkable is that it instantly makes the listener think its a long lost Zeppelin song. Its uncanny. As a massive Zep fan I can say theres no better band to be compared to, but its also a con because they will never be as good. I dont know how much that matters in the long run. If they are supposed to be the band that rejuvenates rock in a more mainstream light, that probably isnt as much of a good thing. If they are supposed to plateau, then I dont think sounding like Zeppelin matters. They seem afraid of the Zeppelin comparison, too. Josh has diminished the Zeppelin connection, when that is clearly not true. It isnt just his tone, but his dress, mannerisms, and performances are straight out of early Zeppelin shows. Jake's guitar is just like early Jimmy Page, although I think hes admitted to emulating Page. I will say there are signs of musical diversity branching away from Zeppelin on the new album. I want them to lean towards the first category where they keep getting bigger, so that's a good thing. 

Finally, this is just personal opinion, but they dont have a Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child O Mine, Dream On, Hotel California, etc yet. In my opinion, they don't have a legendary, timeless song yet and that's totally ok. This is their first full album and they are super young. They do, imo, have a lot of good to really great songs and thats super promising.

I don't want to seem like I'm ripping on them, Id call myself a big fan of theirs after this release. They arent trail blazers pioneering new sounds lile Zep was 50 years ago so constructive nit picking and more of a microscope is warranted etc, especially with the insane hype. There are lots of cool ideas on this album, and not all songs are carbon Zeppelin copies. A few are, but they nail the sound and song structure so I dont mind as much. My favorites right now are the more creative songs like Brave New World and Age of Man. Great songs and Josh has a superb nack for melody. Vocals are killer and theres a lot of musical diversity which I appreciate. I also like how their song writing isn't all so derivative and I think they'll get better at getting more creative as they keep playing. That 30 minute Lover, Leaver shows they have the ear for good transitions and musicianship.

I think When the Curtain Falls is a safe song but a great lead single choice and I really like the album. I just hope these guys aren't a flash in the pan, I honestly cant remember the last time an all new rock band was given this shot by the general public

Ha, I saw you yesterday on the GVF leak Reddit thread. I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with what you said here and the other post.

I love their new album (even though I spoiled myself half of it because of the 5 singles they released). And, BY FAR, Brave New World is the best song. I’d even say it’s the best song they’ve ever done. As I said on Reddit, it reminds me a lot to Metallica. It has that dark vibe, and even the drumming seems to be similar to what you hear on a Metallica “ballad”.

Still, there are more good songs. I’d say the only filler song (or atleast the weakest) is Mountain Of The Sun. The other ones are pretty cool and very diverse. I think it’s a great record and it’s super valuable that we are getting something like this in 2018 by a young band. I hope we see more of Josh’s low voice. I find his high voice annoying at times. Too screechy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Ha, I saw you yesterday on the GVF leak Reddit thread. I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with what you said here and the other post.

I love their new album (even though I spoiled myself half of it because of the 5 singles they released). And, BY FAR, Brave New World is the best song. I’d even say it’s the best song they’ve ever done. As I said on Reddit, it reminds me a lot to Metallica. It has that dark vibe, and even the drumming seems to be similar to what you hear on a Metallica “ballad”.

Still, there are more good songs. I’d say the only filler song (or atleast the weakest) is Mountain Of The Sun. The other ones are pretty cool and very diverse. I think it’s a great record and it’s super valuable that we are getting something like this in 2018 by a young band. I hope we see more of Josh’s low voice. I find his high voice annoying at times. Too screechy.

Brave New World is a phenomenal song. They did a great job with it. I feel like this record has a lot of heart and their chemistry together is unreal. Reminds me of a Zep or GNR. This albums a lot better than Slash's new album, I'll say that much

I agree, it IS much better than Slash's new album. 

I also agree with gnrfanmilo, I find Josh's voice annoying at times. He is in his higher register too much on this album imo. When it matches the sound of the band (harder, faster, etc.) Then he sounds great. But his higher vocals on some of the softer or slower parts, I'm not a big fan of. Which Zoso hit the nail on the head, he sounds more like Geddy Lee. Which I've NEVER like Rush, because I dont like Geddys voice. Plant has more range with his voice than I've heard out of Geddy or Josh.