What Are You Listening To 2018

Sosso

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, soon said:

When the senator called to pass the motion to legalize weed in Canada, he said '...and then we have to also pass the dutchie.' :lol:

And today it is legal!

Trivia: video was directed by Don Letts, a key figure in the early punk scene, kind of responsible to introducing reggae into it, was the DJ at the first ever punk venue in London the Roxy, directed some Clash videos and documentaries as well as being depicted on the cover of Super Black Market Clash, a good friend of everybodys in that scene and an invaluable figure.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Trivia: video was directed by Don Letts, a key figure in the early punk scene, kind of responsible to introducing reggae into it, was the DJ at the first ever punk venue in London the Roxy, directed some Clash videos and documentaries as well as being depicted on the cover of Super Black Market Clash, a good friend of everybodys in that scene and an invaluable figure.

Interesting. I had no idea about Letts. This seems kinda poppy and slick for his resume? Maybe done in the name of growing reggae's popularity?

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Interesting. I had no idea about Letts. This seems kinda poppy and slick for his resume? Maybe done in the name of growing reggae's popularity?

Don Letts was so instrumental in reggae in general, he was the one sent by Richard Branson (along with a certain John Lydon, a reggae afficiando) to scout reggae artists in the late 70s when The Pistols broke up. He also worked in Acme Attractions, the OTHER punk shop on the Kings Road besides Malcolm McLaren, it later became BOY LONDON, which I’m sure you see around even today, became a pretty chic designer brand.  

It is poppy I suppose but its also work, I mean Julian Temple of Pistols fame ended up working extensively with The Stones.

Edited by Len Cnut

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Don Letts was so instrumental in reggae in general, he was the one sent by Richard Branson (along with a certain John Lydon, a reggae afficiando) to scout reggae artists in the late 70s when The Pistols broke up. He also worked in Acme Attractions, the OTHER punk shop on the Kings Road besides Malcolm McLaren, it later became BOY LONDON, which I’m sure you see around even today, became a pretty chic designer brand.  

It is poppy I suppose but its also work, I mean Julian Temple of Pistols fame ended up working extensively with The Stones.

Cool, bridging with Jamaica from the UK via music so shortly after Independence is a powerful thing. US Punk was very white. Going on a fact finding mission with Lydon would be bonkers! Oh, yeah, I have heard of BOY LONDON but didnt know its history.

True about needing to work. And I guess the Clash were fairly poppy by the early-mid 80's too.

Did Letts and Lydons scouting lead to any acts being signed?

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Cool, bridging with Jamaica from the UK via music so shortly after Independence is a powerful thing. US Punk was very white. Going on a fact finding mission with Lydon would be bonkers! Oh, yeah, I have heard of BOY LONDON but didnt know its history.

True about needing to work. And I guess the Clash were fairly poppy by the early-mid 80's too.

Did Letts and Lydons scouting lead to any acts being signed?

Yeah I believe it led to Dr Alimentado getting signed, among others.  England and Jamaica have had a massive musical cross-over from the 60s onwards.  Some even argue that the true sound of the streets in England has always been reggae.  Right from when Dave and Ansell Collins did Double Barrell.  In fact the skinhead movement came about because of Jamaicans.  Their big boots and shorn haircuts when they got off the boat were the influence, thats why all the skinheads listened to reggae.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah I believe it led to Dr Alimentado getting signed, among others.  England and Jamaica have had a massive musical cross-over from the 60s onwards.  Some even argue that the true sound of the streets in England has always been reggae.  Right from when Dave and Ansell Collins did Double Barrell.  In fact the skinhead movement came about because of Jamaicans.  Their big boots and shorn haircuts when they got off the boat were the influence, thats why all the skinheads listened to reggae.

Interesting. Wait, like the racist skinheads? They not only emulated style but also listened to black music? Were these Jamaican immigrants also straight edge?

Cool track

Interesting. Wait, like the racist skinheads? They not only emulated style but also listened to black music? Were these Jamaican immigrants also straight edge?

It later became a racist thing but it didn't start off as that, quite the opposite, it was more a reaction to hippies and flower power and that and characterised that they hung around with black people and listened to reggae.  It weren't a racist thing until the 70s.  And they weren't straight edge, no, that shit all came later through punk, they were very much into enjoying themselves :lol:

On 10/18/2018 at 1:55 PM, soon said:

Cool track

@soon i was a skinhead, we wasn't all racists. We listened to Reggae, ska and 2tone music. 

• Thanks 1