black sabbath or led zeppelin?

action

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Zeppelin just rip-off Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson and stick some elves in there and claim some artsy fartsyness. Stodgy heavy metal desecration of the blues with poodle haired screeching and clanky drumming. Awful.

Boring would be a good description.

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

They're both fucking great, as are Deep Purple.

Sabbath were far more influential though.

Are they? Cause there are literally 0 guitarists out there that don't have Jimmy Page as their top 3 influences or drummers and Bonham. I mean, they influenced totally different things but don't think one is more influential than the other

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Are they? Cause there are literally 0 guitarists out there that don't have Jimmy Page as their top 3 influences or drummers and Bonham. I mean, they influenced totally different things but don't think one is more influential than the other

Well they basically created an entirely new style of music in Heavy Metal, which has evolved into many, many sub-genres, it all leads back to Sabbath. As much as I love Led Zep and can't separate them in terms of preference, I wouldn't say they changed the musical landscape the way Sabbath did. Yeah, of course Jimmy Page is a massive influence on guitarists, but I'd argue that there will be plenty around who would say Tony Iommi is just as big an influence.

You can make the argument that there are a few bands who predate Sabbath as Metal's year zero, bands that were doing a similar kind of thing around that time, I've always liked the idea that The Kinks started it off as far back as the mid 60's in terms of the rawness of their guitar riffs, but when it comes to overall sound/tone, lyrics, image and general fucking heaviness, it was definitely Sabbath.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, Nicklord said:

I play guitar and while i respect Jimmy Page, I'll take Iommi over him any day, Bill Ward i prefer over Bonham also.

(I recognize its sacrilege to think Bonham was shit, but to me he's a bit lumbering and plodding) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

I thought i recall him saying how heavy they were and that was who he wished to be like, maybe I got my wires crossed...

You could be right, I'm pretty sure he likes Led Zep but I've only really read/seen him speak of John Lennon as his idol, numerous times as well.

Edited by bucketfoot

23 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

You could be right, I'm pretty sure he likes Led Zep but I've only really read/seen him speak of John Lennon as his idol, numerous times as well.

I have an interview with him from the 90s where he lists the first two LZ albums in his top ten 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, DR DOOM said:

I have an interview with him from the 90s where he lists the first two LZ albums in his top ten 

Cheers mate, I haven't seen that. He did name Led Zeppelin IV in a recent 'Best Metal Albums' thing he did, so he definitely seems to be a fan, which isn't really surprising. I'm sure I've read something before about the two bands jamming in the studio at some point as well, Bonzo was apparently good friends with the Sabs and Iommi in particular.

Edited by bucketfoot

3 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Cheers mate, I haven't seen that. He did name Led Zeppelin IV in a recent 'Best Metal Albums' thing he did, so he definitely seems to be a fan, which isn't really surprising. I'm sure I've read something before about the two bands jamming in the studio at some point as well, Bonzo was apparently good friends with the Sabs and Iommi in particular.

Iommi was best man at Bonzo's wedding.

I think there are some tales of the two bands in the (definitive) How Black Was Our Sabbath? book by two of Sabbath's roadies.

Ozzy does change his tune/mind/story a lot but yeah....undoubtedly a fan of LZ.

Oz also sang on that Gary Moore song "Led Clones" which was a stab at all the rip offs...Coverdale/Whitesnake with Still Of The Night in particular!

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1