Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread

Guillermo del Toro, Shape of Water

Actor in a Leading Role

Timothée Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread

Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Actress in a Leading Role

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Meryl Streep, The Post

Actress in a Supporting Role

Mary J. Blige, Mudbound

Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread

Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Actor in a Supporting Role

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World

Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Adapted Screenplay

James Ivory, Call Me by Your Name

Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, The Disaster Artist

Scott Frank, James Mangold, and Michael Green, Logan

Aaron Sorkin, Molly’s Game

Virgil Williams and Dee Rees, Mudbound

Original Screenplay

Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani, The Big Sick

Jordan Peele, Get Out

Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor, The Shape of Water

Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Animated Feature Film

The Boss Baby

The Breadwinner

Coco

Ferdinand

Loving Vincent

Foreign Language Film

A Fantastic Woman (Chile)

The Insult (Lebanon)

Loveless (Russia)

Body and Soul (Hungary)

The Square (Sweden)

Documentary Feature

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail

Faces/Places

Icarus

Last Men in Aleppo

Strong Island

Cinematography

Roger A. Deakins, Blade Runner: 2049

Bruno Delbonnel, Darkest Hour

Hoyte van Hoytema, Dunkirk

Rachel Morrison, Mudbound

Dan Laustsen, The Shape of Water

Film Editing

Paul Machliss and Jonathan Amos, Baby Driver

Lee Smith, Dunkirk

Tatiana S. Riegel, I, Tonya

Sidney Wolinsky, The Shape of Water

Jon Gregory, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Production Design

Beauty and the Beast (Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer)

Blade Runner: 2049 (Production Design: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Alessandra Querzola)

Darkest Hour (Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer)

Dunkirk (Production Design: Nathan Crowley; Set Decoration: Gary Fettis)

The Shape of Water (Production Design: Paul Denham Austerberry; Set Decoration: Shane Vieau and Jeff Melvin)

Costume Design

Jacqueline Durran, Beauty and the Beast

Jacqueline Durran, Darkest Hour

Mark Bridges, Phantom Thread

Luis Sequeira, The Shape of Water

Consolota Boyle, Victoria & Abdul

Makeup and Hairstyling

Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, and Lucy Sibbick, Darkest Hour

Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard, Victoria & Abdul

Arjen Tuiten, Wonder

Original Score

Hans Zimmer, Dunkirk

Jonny Greenwood, Phantom Thread

Alexandre Desplat, The Shape of Water

John Williams, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Carter Burwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Original Song

“Mighty River,” Mudbound

“Mystery of Love,” Call Me by Your Name

“Remember Me,” Coco

“Stand Up for Something,” Marshall

“This Is Me,” The Greatest Showman

Sound Editing

Julian Slater, Baby Driver

Mark Mangini and Theo Green, Blade Runner 2049

Richard King and Alex Gibson, Dunkirk

Nathan Robitaille and Nelson Ferreira, The Shape of Water

Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Sound Mixing

Julian Slater, Tim Cavagin, and Mary H. Ellis, Baby Driver

Ron Bartlett, Dough Hemphill, and Mac Ruth,Blade Runner 2049

Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landarker, and Gary A. Rizzo, Dunkirk

Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern, and Glen Gauthier, The Shape of Water

David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, and Stuart Wilson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Visual Effects

Blade Runner 2049 (John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert, and Richard R. Hoover)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner, and Dan Sudick)

Kong: Skull Island (Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza, and Mike Meinardus)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Neal Scanlan, and Chris Corbould)

War for the Planet of the Apes (Joe Letteri, Daniel Barrett, Dan Lemmon, and Joel Whist)

Animated Short Film

Dear Basketball

Garden Party

Lou

Negative Space

Revolting Rhymes

Live Action Short Film

DeKalb Elementary

The Eleven O’Clock

My Nephew Emmett

The Silent Child

Watu Wote: All of Us

Documentary Short Subject

Edith and Eddie

Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405

Heroin(e)

Knife Skills

Traffic Stop

I still have a number of films and performances to see, but based off of what I have seen, my votes would be as follows:

Best Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Director: Jordan Peele

Best Actress: Frances McDormand

Best Actor: N/A (Still have 4/5 performances to see)

Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell

Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney

7 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Ive only seen 'Get Out'

I've just noticed Dunkirk on there. I've seen Dunkirk

The Oscars always pick the same type of film. Oscar films tend to be biographical dramas and feature liberal causes, down-trodden types fighting against prejudice/impairment. They also like a bit of the olde Holocaust do the Oscars. Nothing gets the Oscars hornier than a gas chamber of dying people. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nothing gets the Oscars hornier than a gas chamber of dying people. 

So like UKIP voters?

I want to see Phantom Thread, but have only seen Dunkirk and Get Out.

Get Out was fine, but it's hardly a classic. It being hyped as political relevant in terms of US politics ignores the fact that it's just a better than average, but not very interesting horror film. Very predictable and a little too similar to The Stepford Wives.

Dunkirk though is a brilliant film made for the big screen and loud speakers, where the immersion is probably lost drastically if you're not watching it in the Cinema. I doubt it'll win.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:48 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Haven't seen any of them except for Get Out (why is this nominated??) but I hope Gary Oldman wins Best Actor, simply for every other role he has ever played. He is a master.

I tend to agree with you, but doubtful as his main competition is literally the greatest male actor of all time....who hasn't done anything in five years and is retiring.  Love Gary Oldman, but not a good year to go up against DDL.

8 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I tend to agree with you, but doubtful as his main competition is literally the greatest male actor of all time....who hasn't done anything in five years and is retiring.  Love Gary Oldman, but not a good year to go up against DDL.

Yes, very unfortunate timing. Oh well, if not this year, his time will certainly come.

Get Out is a fine genre entry, though the motivations of the white people don’t really make sense. Lady Bird is lovely but...slight. Completely repelled by Three Billboards. Really not my year. 😂 I just hope Janney takes Best Supporting Actress and The Shape of Water upsets Billboards streak. 

Despite the fact that Daniel Day Lewis is up for an award and it's his last film, there's nothing remarkable about his performance in Phantom Thread. The character might be memorable, but his performance is understated.

It's not what one would call one of his "crackerjack" performances.

Oldman is my favorite actor and for his sake I hope he wins, but it's more of a prosthetic marvel than the greatest role he's ever been in. Plus, he's got his politics forever working against him.

Stopped watching these award shows years ago. I never see any of the nominated movies.

I did see Get Out which was good, but I don't think is really award material, but what do I know?

Now with the whole women's movement, there will be more speeches about rights and shit and I'm actually tired of hearing about it.

My mom fought for women's rights in the 60's and I guess nothing changed in 60 years. Hope it works this time.

Anyway, whatever. It all seems to be about what people are wearing more than the awards now.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Haven't seen any of them except for Get Out (why is this nominated??) but I hope Gary Oldman wins Best Actor, simply for every other role he has ever played. He is a master.

ha ha I said the same thing.

Maybe next year Black Panther will be nominated.

it seems the academy is just voting for movies with black actors and directors just so they don't have to hear people complain again.

There have been plenty of movies with black actors who were Oscar worthy but never got nominated. It's all Hollywood bullshit.

Honestly, why should any of us give a shit? It just means more money for the actors that win and then it seems the women get shitty roles after they win. Why is that?

With that mentality, why watch anything? Seriously lol.

I thought Get Out was great. Great performances, originality, and extremely well directed, especially for a first-time director.

While I’ll agree to a point that there will certainly be politically driven speeches relating to obvious politics and the women’s movement, there’s an obvious reason that it’s still being discussed in this day and age, and that’s because the issues everyone is tired of hearing about are issues that haven’t been resolved after 60 years, or took way too long to be addressed in the first place. So cry about hearing it all you want, but it all happens for a reason and ultimately the greater good, in some respect.

Anyway, I’ll be seeing The Shape of Water tomorrow.

@Angelica You didn’t like Three Billboards?

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Nooooo. I really, really did not. 😂 I found it messy and profoundly off-putting. I hated Call Me by Your Name too. I’m the biggest crank this year. 

It seems like it! 😂  it was in my top three the year. 

I’ll be seeing Shape of Water tomorrow. And then hopefully Phantom Thread and Darkest Hour at some point next week. I’ll be seeing shape of water tomorrow. And then hopefully phantom thread and darkest hour at some point next week

On 26/01/2018 at 11:40 AM, Angelica said:

Nooooo. I really, really did not. 😂 I found it messy and profoundly off-putting.

While I did overall enjoy Three Billboards, I agree it was messy (the monologue about culpability was especially awkward and hamfisted) and respect your opinion.

On 26/01/2018 at 11:40 AM, Angelica said:

I hated Call Me by Your Name too. I’m the biggest crank this year. 

WHAT THE FUCK

:lol:

I’ve been less cranky this year than in years past. Last year I was happy with the Moonlight win, would have been happy with La La Land, too, but I was unbelievably cranky when Birdman won in 2015; my least favourite Best Picture winner since Crash.

It's hard for me to get remotely excited about the Oscars anymore -- but Blade Runner 2049 was absolutely snubbed.

Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Ford in his best performance in decades) and Best Original Score should have been lock-ins. The soundtrack is a monumental feat considering it lived up to the work of Vangelis' original score and that one is considered one of the all-time great masterpieces of film scoring. I was really skeptical that Zimmer could pull it off, but he did. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

It's hard for me to get remotely excited about the Oscars anymore -- but Blade Runner 2049 was absolutely snubbed.

Best Director, Best Supporting Actor (Ford in his best performance in decades) and Best Original Score should have been lock-ins. The soundtrack is a monumental feat considering it lived up to the work of Vangelis' original score and that one is considered one of the all-time great masterpieces of film scoring. I was really skeptical that Zimmer could pull it off, but he did. 

Best Score for me this year is a toss-up between Desplat for The Shape of Water and Greenwood for Phantom Thread.

On 1/27/2018 at 7:35 AM, Amir said:

While I did overall enjoy Three Billboards, I agree it was messy (the monologue about culpability was especially awkward and hamfisted) and respect your opinion.

WHAT THE FUCK

:lol:

I’ve been less cranky this year than in years past. Last year I was happy with the Moonlight win, would have been happy with La La Land, too, but I was unbelievably cranky when Birdman won in 2015; my least favourite Best Picture winner since Crash.

Tried to watch Call Me By Your Name two different times and couldn’t get into it, and honestly, won’t be trying to watch it again.

I don’t think it was necessarily bad, from what I did watch, albeit seeming pretentious.

Oh well. Will hopefully be seeing Phantom Thread tomorrow, then I have to see Darkest Hour and Lady Bird.