Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang, S. Korea

soon

A place to discuss these winter games.

I believe in the power of sport as a tool of communication and as a way of experiencing our shared humanity.  So, awesome to see a united Korean team.  Glad the North brought its own cheering squad though, the "army of beauties."

• Like 1

Rank Country Gold MedalG Silver MedalS Bronze MedalB TotalTotal  
NorwayNorway 
1 4 3 8 Norway Medal Summary
CanadaCanada 
1 4 1 6 Canada Medal Summary
GermanyGermany 
4 0 1 5 Germany Medal Summary
NetherlandsNetherlands 
2 2 1 5 Netherlands Medal Summary
United StatesUnited States 
2 1 1 4 United States Medal Summary
FranceFrance 
1 0 1 2 France Medal Summary
Czech RepublicCzech Republic 
0 1 1 2 Czech Republic Medal Summary
Olympic Athlete from RussiaOlympic Athlete from Russia 
0 1 1 2 Olympic Athlete from Russia Medal Summary
FinlandFinland 
0 0 2 2 Finland Medal Summary
AustriaAustria 
1 0 0 1 Austria Medal Summary
South KoreaSouth Korea 
1 0 0 1 South Korea Medal Summary
SwedenSweden 
1 0 0 1 Sweden Medal Summary
SlovakiaSlovakia 
0 1 0 1 Slovakia Medal Summary
ItalyItaly 
0 0 1 1 Italy Medal Summary
KazakhstanKazakhstan 

0 0 1 1
  • Like 1

We're coming for you in the medal count, Norway! 

Canada moved within a victory of curling gold and assured itself of at least a silver with an 8-4 win over Norway in the Olympic mixed doubles semifinal Monday in Pyeongchang.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canada-play-for-gold-after-beating-norway-mixed-doubles-curling-semi.html

Ps: The world lets men and women curl together?  Well, now Ive seen everything!  lol  But seriously this is the first time theres been mixed doubles in Olympics.

No! No! No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Canadian skip Rachel Homan stirred up controversy in Friday's round-robin match against Denmark. But it was the Danes who had the last laugh as Homan missed a takeout with the hammer in the 11th end, losing 9-8 and dropping Canada to 0-3 in the tournament.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/rachel-homan-burned-canada-falls-women-curling.html

• Like 1

The games are only a day or two from their closure.  Looks like Norway will take home the most number of medals and also claim the most number of gold medals.  Congrats to Norway.  Granted, one-third are in one sport (more if you include the biathlon), but still an impressive haul (at least Norway isn't a one-trick pony like the Netherlands with speed skating).

The U.S. has had a disappointing showing.  The U.S. Olympic team projected 35-37 medals and it looks like they'll end up with somewhere between 22-24 by the end.  

Canada has done well despite choking in the sports they were expected to win medals (curling and hockey).  As a Canadian who never played and not a huge fan of hockey, it's nice to see the Olympic success devoid of hockey.  

The two Russian figure-skating girls were machines on Thursday.  No one was anywhere close to challenging them for gold or silver.  

Smart move to include more X-Games events into the Olympics.  The big air, ski and board cross events are some of the most exciting to watch.  

Ok...so the US may not have gotten a ton of medals but honestly who cares because the medals that were won like the Women's hockey gold and the gold in X-country skiing that Diggins and Kikkan Randall won (#AKrepresenting!) were amazing accomplishments and showed the true spirit of these games with true grit, hard work and perseverance! And let's not forget about Shaun White or Lindsay Vonn who also medaled. I am very happy with Team USA! 🙌👍👏

44 minutes ago, downzy said:

The two Russian figure-skating girls were machines on Thursday.  No one was anywhere close to challenging them for gold or silver.  

I haven't been paying too much attention to the games and don't know much about skating, but I did watch that last night for a bit in the early hours of the morning. Those 2 girls were very impressive and looked like stars compared to the others. Especially Evgenia (the girl the commentators here expected to win, but came second)

The others (Americans, Candian, South Korean ect) just looked like just girls who could skate comfortably on ice and do a jump. As someone who knows nothing, I couldn't tell a difference between almost of all them unless they fell down. 

Some sports look like they might not be around for much longer.  The female aerial competition was horrifically bad this year.  The finals was determined by whoever actually landed their jump, with the gold medal winner the only person to actually land both of their jumps.  This use to be a popular and well executed sport.  Probably best to remove it from Olympic competition if the field continues to be so weak.  

I still say bring back speed skiing, the NASCAR of winter sports!

28 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I haven't been paying too much attention to the games and don't know much about skating, but I did watch that last night for a bit in the early hours of the morning. Those 2 girls were very impressive and looked like stars compared to the others. Especially Evgenia (the girl the commentators here expected to win, but came second)

The others (Americans, Candian, South Korean ect) just looked like just girls who could skate comfortably on ice and do a jump. As someone who knows nothing, I couldn't tell a difference between almost of all them unless they fell down. 

I know next to nothing about figure skating but it was obvious who the real stars were in the female competition.  I'm glad the Canadian girl won a bronze, as she almost quit the sport only a couple of years ago due to a severe break in her leg.  

But yeah, those two Russian girls were far above any of their competitors.  Apparently the girl who won silver won nearly every single event she entered until the European championship last year (where she came in second to this year's gold medal winner).  She was apparently unbeatable until an injury took her down a notch.  

I guess the Netherlands ended up taking second in the medal count.  Canada and they were back and forth for second.  Well done Netherlands - ya know what?  Im actually gonna learn once and for all if you are one place or multiple places; you've earned it. :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soon said:

I guess the Netherlands ended up taking second in the medal count.  Canada and they were back and forth for second.  Well done Netherlands - ya know what?  Im actually gonna learn once and for all if you are one place or multiple places; you've earned it. :lol:

Germany took second, Canada third, and the US fourth. 

• Thanks 1

I did vaguely find it amusing, and this is horrible I know, that Scottish girl who fell on her arse three times and was disqualified a fourth time. It struck me as a very ''British'' example of sporting failure; it was firmly in the tradition of ''Tiger'' Tim Henman and too many penalty shoot-outs to count.