Appetite for Distortion Ep. 74 - "Leaker's Revenge"

2 minutes ago, evader said:

Oh no. There were WAY more than 2 versions, and I could make 100 in a day because all the tracks are split. But, the early version that I think made it to Florida had the ending vocal of a previous verse that leads into what I believe is the chorus. I think that it goes "I always wanted you to leave......" and is the beginning of the cellphone clip. Could also be "I always wanted you to be" but "leave" seemed more appropriate. That version also had a "Bucket-headed" solo which was very similar to the cellphone guitar solo, which is most likely Finck. That was the last version I shared with anyone who may have sent it to Florida.

The version that is leaking - I think - is the Rick version. It has a different solo, also Bucket (Factory V). No intro pre-chorus vocal.

So now I consider there to be 3 versions, none of which I will ever consider to be "done".

1) The Rick Version (2:28)

2) The full version with the aforementioned vocal (just a few extra seconds)

3) The Shacklers Remix-style version, which is my current favorite, but most of you would f'ing hate (3:42)

we have had 10 years of crap from the GNR camp. sorry for being so blunt but you know how it is. we just need something, anything. we just need something new. 

fan made art is better than no art at this stage. just drop your work and let us have a listen. 

• Like 3

If the subject of the actual song is what was discussed on the AFD podcast that is some heavy stuff.  Sometimes artists get too transparent and later regret it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this song never comes out.  Maybe a cathartic exercise to write it, but releasing it is another thing entirely.  That said, it could be a powerful thing if something was done with it like @Chester524 suggested.  You can't change the beginning of the story, but you can write the ending.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pastortine said:

If the subject of the actual song is what was discussed on the AFD podcast that is some heavy stuff.  Sometimes artists get too transparent and later regret it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this song never comes out.  Maybe a cathartic exercise to write it, but releasing it is another thing entirely.  That said, it could be a powerful thing if something was done with it like @Chester524 suggested.  You can't change the beginning of the story, but you can write the ending.

If there's a particular reason why this wasn't released, other than the usual record label crap, this is most likely it. With all the stuff that's come out recently about it's subject matter, I'm not suprised we've never heard it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

Wait is this actually out there? I saw the link 2 pages back but I'm getting an unknown error popup when I click it... 

the real concert intro and the cell phone clip are out there. so is the Evader versions of both of them. 

fuck all that ! what the fans need is another version of KOHD in HD quality. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, evader said:

If you change your avatar, I suspect your luck may change.

i can change it to=

the pitman towel

the yellow raincoat.

Axl in a G string.

melissa reese bare bum.

what do you have in return ?  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

As evidenced by what I had to say on the podcast, I find it damn near disgusting that GNR flat out refuses to share new music with their fans at this point. 

I totally agree that I'd take any fan audio as an acceptable replacement at this point. 

but the 2010 issue still rings in the back of my head. did Axl hand in a new album that was rejected ? true or not the fans have no direction to point their anger at for lack of new material. thats probably why things can boil over so quickly on the forum. just a brief statement from fernando on where the band stand right now will do. 

21 minutes ago, donny said:

i can change it to=

the pitman towel

the yellow raincoat.

Axl in a G string.

melissa reese bare bum.

what do you have in return ?  

The last one. I doubt anyone would argue. World's gotta know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, donny said:

but the 2010 issue still rings in the back of my head. did Axl hand in a new album that was rejected ? true or not the fans have no direction to point their anger at for lack of new material. thats probably why things can boil over so quickly on the forum. just a brief statement from fernando on where the band stand right now will do. 

In 2008 Axl referred to the remixed version of Silkworms as something on "the next record":

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-takes-part-in-another-online-chat-says-there-are-no-plans-for-gn-r-tour-right-now/

Q: Is "Silkworms" on the next record? It's a masterpiece.

Axl: [It] has a lot of guitars, lots of different drum [patterns] and the chorus is gone.

So yeah, I'm guessing Axl turned in the remix album, the label went "what the fuck - no"  and that was that

• Haha 1

I’ve tried for years to look at it all from an artistic integrity standpoint, and wondered if it really was the label.  Labels are a business.  Labels want $ so why would they sit on material for so long, something that would no matter what generate revenue regardless of which hatted guitarist is or isn’t involved.  More recently I’ve wondered if it was a respect thing for returning/new members of the band to listen to the songs, add there own parts, write new songs etc. Which that would be cool, but they should get all members in a room and do a 1 hour interview and say this is what we are and aren’t doing.  These are our plans.  Unless they are afraid to really climb the elephant in the room that ripped up the band the last time.

I would assume at this point in life there wouldn’t be a clash of “genre” and who wants what in an album as there has been contradiction on both sides.  But they’re human beings.  We are all fickle, but it would be nice to have a bone thrown.  Or, a break down lengthy interview of what happened since 2008 when CD was released.  You’d think such a large name in music would have a better marketing approach as pointed out in the podcast.  It baffles me why the album didn’t see the supposed tour edition with original artwork.  They could’ve done a limited run and increased price to feel out sales.  Just all seems shady to me,,but I guess that’s business.  I’ve been involved myself in music since 1999 in and out of bands and released some independent albums and did some showcases.  I saw even being contracted with an entertainment firm had weird string and shady schemes involved.

General would be cool

Atlas would be cool

Anythjng new and not regurgitated would be cool.  Only thing I enjoyed about the $200 deluxe edition I bought was pictures, and finally having decent mixes and versions of those old songs.

Chinese Turns 10 this year.  I’d pay 1k for all the unreleased Chinese stuff in an expanded edition including demos remixes and all unreleased supposed 3 albums of material. Don’t want pictures just the timelessness that guns has brought since I was a kid.  The music.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

In 2008 Axl referred to the remixed version of Silkworms as something on "the next record":

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-takes-part-in-another-online-chat-says-there-are-no-plans-for-gn-r-tour-right-now/

So yeah, I'm guessing Axl turned in the remix album, the label went "what the fuck - no"  and that was that

if i where the record label manager and heard silkworms/OMG and blood in the water i would have chased axl out of the door with a long broomstick. i thought the rejected album contained songs like the general/atlas shrugged/seven and oklahoma, that sort of stuff. 

Edited by donny

5 minutes ago, cineater said:

Was it legal to buy or attempt to buy HB from this guy in Japan?  Is it legal to possess a copy of it?

large grey area. back in the mid to late 90's i could and did buy a lot of GNR stuff while on holiday around the mediterranean islands. there seemed to be no law just rules, the rules where if the band has released that music then buying unofficial copies was ripping them off. unreleased bootlegs however was a different matter. VHS tapes and CDs of unreleased stuff where sold openly. looking at saskatoon and other "new" dvds i have saw photos of on twitter makes me think japan works in the same way today. 

• Like 1