Terminator - Dark Fate

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but you'll ruin the end of T2 with some shit scenario where Arnie is still alive and John Conner gets bumped off. Best end the saga with Arnie going into the lava and the future changed so Skynet can never exist. The perfect ending. 

tbh, the T2 ending was never going to make sense from the get go.

if arnie was lowered in the lava, the chip destroyed etc, and the future altered.... how could arnie have been sent back in time to begin with?

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but you'll ruin the end of T2 with some shit scenario where Arnie is still alive and John Conner gets bumped off. Best end the saga with Arnie going into the lava and the future changed so Skynet can never exist. The perfect ending. 

Well that's where the writers come in and make up something. They seems to like doing that in this franchise <_<

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is the time travel paradox! 

it just makes no sense, even if you "could" send someone back in time.

think about this.

Terminator 2 ends, the future is changed (or so the movie wants you to believe). but the future is not changed, as in the moments that follow the movie, sarah and john are still aware of the terminator's existence. How can they be aware of terminators, in a timeline where terminators don't exist? are john and sarah two people who are misplaced from timeline A (terminators exist) to timeline B (terminators don't exist)? Since information of terminators exists in johns and sarahs brain, shouldn't they have been killed too in order to alter the future? They needed to destroy that chip since it contained information on terminators..... but there is also information on terminators in sarah's and john's brain! 

Edited by action

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Not enough to build the bastard though and thats what counts. 

yes, but how can there be information on terminators in their brain, if we agree that the future is changed, and terminators don't exist?

I mean, take you for example. you live in a world where terminators don't exist right? so there could never be information in your brain, like "I just killed two terminators and threw a chip in molten steel". That would be ridiculous right? terminators don't exist. So how come that sarah and john have such information in their brain?

sorry for the mindfuck btw, but this is a serious matter :lol:

I know, there are supposed to be parralel realities. But this is implemented poorly in the movies.

I'm not sure that the laws of physics would allow an entity in reality A be "aware" of events happening in reality "B".

if they wanted to make a "realistic" approach to future-altering actions, then the moment they destroyed the terminator (supposedly, a future-altering action), they should have immediately lost all memories to it too. Moreover, they should have been magically transported back to their homes, drinking tea and having cookies, as if nothing bad had ever happened!

As it stands, the future is only "partially" changed. Sarahs and johns brain are unaffected by their actions, they even have scars and bruises left inflicted by terminators. 

Edited by action

11 minutes ago, action said:

yes, but how can there be information on terminators in their brain, if we agree that the future is changed, and terminators don't exist?

I mean, take you for example. you live in a world where terminators don't exist right? so there could never be information in your brain, like "I just killed two terminators and threw a chip in molten steel". That would be ridiculous right? terminators don't exist. So how come that sarah and john have such information in their brain?

sorry for the mindfuck btw, but this is a serious matter :lol:

Yeah, the shit ain't really airtight, you have to engage your suspension of disbelief with movies, in the same way you have to suspend your disbelief to believe that a paunchy balding John Wayne is fit enough to even get on a horse, let alone take on hoardes of marauding Indians on the western plains :lol:

But I guess the idea is that act changed the future...but it had to've happened to change the future and John and Sarah were the ones that initiated that shit, ergo they have to know about the shit for it to've happened.  But yeah, I could easily pick holes in that shit.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, the shit ain't really airtight, you have to engage your suspension of disbelief with movies, in the same way you have to suspend your disbelief to believe that a paunchy balding John Wayne is fit enough to even get on a horse, let alone take on hoardes of marauding Indians on the western plains :lol:

But I guess the idea is that act changed the future...but it had to've happened to change the future and John and Sarah were the ones that initiated that shit, ergo they have to know about the shit for it to've happened.  But yeah, I could easily pick holes in that shit.

if sarah and john can change the future, so can I.

I wonder, how many times do we change the future, each day?

I think the moment a certain future is established, say, by sending a terminator back in time, that future is set in stone.

It's not possible anymore to avoid a "terminator future" , when the terminator is sent back to your timeline: the future is already "here". It's as if your timeline has been shifted back to yourself a couple of years.

so it follows, they aren't really trying to change the future; they are trying to change the "now", and that is not possible. You can't change what already "is".

had the terminator never been sent back in time, then yes, then you can try to change the future (because it hasn't already happened). But not if the future baddies are first and are sending information back in time.

Edited by action

5 minutes ago, action said:

if sarah and john can change the future, so can I.

I wonder, how many times do we change the future, each day?

I remember this old book, or short story or something and its like these two people they time travel and they're in like some kinda prehistoric times and one of em kicks over like a plant or a weed or something, like fucks it up so it don't grow...then when they get back to their present day that whole world is altered beyond recognition cuz like...that one fuckin' plant was a formative thing in the timeline of humanity and the knock on effect of fuckin' that shit up had a far reaching effect on the future.

We're changing the future, or creating the future with every step if you think about it.  Like if i didn't stop to pick up my watch this morning, if i had breakfast instead of not, I might've happened to be crossing the road to get the work right when that speeding car was hurtling down the street, stepped in front of it and ended arse up on the other end of the street breathing my last, its all a fine balance innit? 

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I remember this old book, or short story or something and its like these two people they time travel and they're in like some kinda prehistoric times and one of em kicks over like a plant or a weed or something, like fucks it up so it don't grow...then when they get back to their present day that whole world is altered beyond recognition cuz like...that one fuckin' plant was a formative thing in the timeline of humanity and the knock on effect of fuckin' that shit up had a far reaching effect on the future.

We're changing the future, or creating the future with every step if you think about it.  Like if i didn't stop to pick up my watch this morning, if i had breakfast instead of not, I might've happened to be crossing the road to get the work right when that speeding car was hurtling down the street, stepped in front of it and ended arse up on the other end of the street breathing my last, its all a fine balance innit? 

There's times, like only yesterday, I was getting out of bed and doing my daily care routine, and there is this certain perfume I use every day. But as I was reaching for it, I decided "no, today I want to use the other one I haven't used in a while", but I physically could not stop grabbing the first one and sprinkling it on me. it was the weirdest feeling, as if some force prevented me from deviating from a certain "script".

there are many small habitudes you do each day, without thinking too much about it, that are so routine it's sometimes hard to change things up a little. When your mind makes a decision, then your body is executing that decision, it becomes very hard to change it when the execution is in progress.

Guess I'm not making much sense here do I, but then what's new :lol:

4 minutes ago, action said:

There's times, like only yesterday, I was getting out of bed and doing my daily care routine, and there is this certain perfume I use every day. But as I was reaching for it, I decided "no, today I want to use the other one I haven't used in a while", but I physically could not stop grabbing the first one and sprinkling it on me. it was the weirdest feeling, as if some force prevented me from deviating from a certain "script".

there are many small habitudes you do each day, without thinking too much about it, that are so routine it's sometimes hard to change things up a little. When your mind makes a decision, then your body is executing that decision, it becomes very hard to change it when the execution is in progress.

Guess I'm not making much sense here do I, but then what's new :lol:

Force of habit?  People that come out of nick often have such behaviour patterns.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, action said:

they released me from prison the other day, just in time to celebrate my wife's 14 th birthday. that explains it then. ;)

I felt a similar thing going abroad for my first time in a country where I didn't speak the lingo, this weird displaced feeling like something weren't right.

56 minutes ago, action said:

yesterday, I was getting out of bed and doing my daily care routine, and there is this certain perfume I use every day. But as I was reaching for it, I decided "no, today I want to use the other one I haven't used in a while", but I physically could not stop grabbing the first one and sprinkling it on me. it was the weirdest feeling, as if some force prevented me from deviating from a certain "script".

action getting all philosophical about his perfume choices. *mists himself in eau du toilet and suddenly Audrey Hepburn never existed* :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I felt a similar thing going abroad for my first time in a country where I didn't speak the lingo, this weird displaced feeling like something weren't right.

I didn't know you'd been to Middlesbrough. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Another really smart review of this movie, this one gets into the anti-feminine and anti-motherly nature of this movie compared to the previous entries in the franchise.

This guy agrees with me, they should have focused on the Arnold character and how he deals with fitting in with human society.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Who wants to see the T800 with saggy moobs pretending to be human? Utter bollocks. 

Hey that's like only new unexplored territory in this movie! I'm kind of interested in the 'psychology' of what could make him turn and how he deals with family life, being a father figure and husband. Now granted that might not make for a great Terminator film, but I think it's at least interesting and new.

Just now, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Hey that's like only new unexplored territory in this movie! I'm kind of interested in the 'psychology' of what could make him turn and how he deals with family life, being a father figure and husband. Now granted that might not make for a great Terminator film, but I think it's at least interesting and new.

It would be moving into Pinocchio/Data territory.

Just got back from seeing it. I was totally in the dark on this one - didn't see any promo material besides the first teaser, mostly because that didn't excite me much. Didn't read any reviews or comments beforehand, so I went in with a total clean slate. I thought it was great, best Terminator film since T2. I thought the action pieces were great other than the plane fight (Found that one to be a bit of a mess from a cinematographic standpoint - too busy, and too many quick cuts), it had a surprising amount of heart in it - particularly from Arnie and Linda, and a nice, fresh storyline. 

Salvation stands as the only Terminator film I dislike. 

• Like 1