Whatever happened to the alternate covers?

On 15/01/2018 at 1:54 PM, soon said:

Did Axl fight the label on this?  Is this one of the reasons he did no promotion and didnt tour right away?

I am fairly certain it’s one of the main reasons there was little promotion etc. Add in the fact there was grammatical errors etc. in the booklet just compounded matters. I suspect the track list was not what was wanted either and influenced by the leaks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I am fairly certain it’s one of the main reasons there was little promotion etc. Add in the fact there was grammatical errors etc. in the booklet just compounded matters. I suspect the track list was not what was wanted either and influenced by the leaks.

There were most likely promises made in the go between to get the record handed in but once the BB deal was signed, UMG had little motivation to do anything but what they were contractually obligated to do. There was no incentive for UMG to sink additional time/money once the check recouped enough of the costs. The units were paid for. Best Buy had no idea what to do w a release of that nature. They didn’t have a team dedicated for music releases or the amount of stores to handle an exclusive on that level. 

I was living in LA at the time and I swear the display in the Pico Best Buy had the different covers available the day of release. It was one of their flagship music stores and they’d get unique stuff sometimes. Picked up a Duff signed Loaded vinyl off the shelf there. I just didn’t have interest in alternate covers to buy them. 

My guess is that they had promos sent there and it made it to the floor. They probably wouldn’t have scanned and ended up getting pulled once they figured it out

Edited by guitarpatch

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I take it there were no vinyl pressings of the grenade/red hand covers - just CD’s?

I wish; not that I'm fussed about vinyl (sorry @RussTCB :P ) but I'd love large format version of the Red Hand inner artwork. I prefer the Grenade cover art, but the selections made for the rest of the artwork for the Grenade cover were amateurish/a step down from the Red Hand art, apart from maybe the mashup of the two Anton S. Kandinsky pieces for the piece about the inspiration behind Riad:

CDChiDemGrenade18.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amir said:

I wish; not that I'm fussed about vinyl (sorry @RussTCB :P ) but I'd love large format version of the Red Hand inner artwork. I prefer the Grenade cover art, but the selections made for the rest of the artwork for the Grenade cover were amateurish/a step down from the Red Hand art, apart from maybe the mashup of the two Anton S. Kandinsky pieces for the piece about the inspiration behind Riad:

CDChiDemGrenade18.JPG

It’s bad when you stop and think about how badly handled the actual release was - from the promotion to the artwork/content. You may have a point in that a combination of grenade cover and most if the red hand inner may being the best one.

Edited by DTJ80
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Amir said:

HEY NOW....DON'T YOU POKE FUN AT MY VINYL! :lol:

Having said that; I'm usually not too worried about vinyl album cover variants, but MAN, I would love it if the Red Hand or Grenade cover were ever pressed!

That's FAR too much to ask though, especially given the fact that the existing vinyl sounds like total crap :(

• GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

HEY NOW....DON'T YOU POKE FUN AT MY VINYL! :lol:

Having said that; I'm usually not too worried about vinyl album cover variants, but MAN, I would love it if the Red Hand or Grenade cover were ever pressed!

That's FAR too much to ask though, especially given the fact that the existing vinyl sounds like total crap :(

I have still to give mine a spin although it’s an American print where I gather the European print was supposed to be better?

21 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I have still to give mine a spin although it’s an American print where I gather the European print was supposed to be better?

People always say the Euro pressing is much better. I've never heard it and I've never gone through the trouble of getting one, so I can't vouch for it. 

I know for certain the all US pressings are garbage though. The first 2 1/2 songs on each side sound good to great, then the last couple of songs on each side sound absolutely terrible :(

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

People always say the Euro pressing is much better. I've never heard it and I've never gone through the trouble of getting one, so I can't vouch for it. 

I know for certain the all US pressings are garbage though. The first 2 1/2 songs on each side sound good to great, then the last couple of songs on each side sound absolutely terrible :(

I remember you commenting on it before. I got mine cheap 2nd hand so not too upset - although another case of botching the albums release!!

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

I remember you commenting on it before. I got mine cheap 2nd hand so not too upset - although another case of botching the albums release!!

Absolutely. 

I didn't pay full price either. It's just annoying as hell to me because I have over 1000 records that I love listening to. CD is one of my favorite albums and it irritates me to no end that the vinyl is worthless to listen to. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whatever Axl was trying to convey through Chinese Democracy was lost on average fans. It's was just an album. I don't even know what the significance is behind the album.

1. Axl  took too long: 15 years is an awful long time to make an audience wait for a new album.

2. Chinese Democracy isn't a masterpiece: Cluttered, unfocused and bloated, Chinese Democracy never lived up to the hype it generated.

3. GN'R isn't GN'R: Instead of the members fans loved; Slash, Duff, Izzy and the drummer (whichever one the fans cared about) were no longer there. Buckethead and Bumblefoot are fine players, but average fans never embraced their diversity.

4. Too much ill will over the years: Back in the day, Axl was notorious for being hours late for concerts. People who've paid hard cash for a show don't like stunts like that, and they didn't forget.

5. The tunes didn't work for radio: On mainstream and classic rock stations where other Guns N' Roses songs receive regular rotation, Chinese Democracy's title track flatlined. Meanwhile, people still call and ask for November Rain, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City.

6. Best Buy: Not the best idea. There seemed to be little to no interest in the album. Aside from one poster and a small display, there was no sense that an 'event' was taking place.

2dmf5te.jpg

Edited by 31illusions
  • Like 3

I’ve been pondering on the "alternative booklet". You know what I mean. I remember having this pdf (I think) including the very cool images, more correct lyrics with much less mistakes as compared with the official one, Axl’s explanation regarding Riad N’ the Bedouins, as well as his 'thank you' note. 
And I was thinking why this material is not too known publicly. I mean, it could be hardly on the same level as the leaks, right, when it’s something from an album already released over 10 years ago. Or is there a concern they might want to issue some new edition of the record containing this very booklet, so it’s the same old same old with the copyright stuff? 
I guess that could be it, but it’s kind of meh, who’d care these days, it’s not like they’re gonna release anything of this sort now, with the old Gunners back in the band...

23 minutes ago, Gianluca87 said:

so, nobody knows how many copies red hand are pressed? circa...

Not that I know of. There's some speculation in this thread:

I'd totally forgotten the forum once gave one away. It was for designing the new forum skin, I think, @RussTCB?

55 minutes ago, Lio said:

Not that I know of. There's some speculation in this thread:

I'd totally forgotten the forum once gave one away. It was for designing the new forum skin, I think, @RussTCB?

Yep! We were given a Red Hand CD and instead of keeping it for ourselves, we threw a banner contest to give it away :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creed said:

the box set cover is fine...the rest has a bad vibe...the bike is the most random pic ever...don't know why Axl was stunned by the scenario, when he was in asia. a rice sack has the same impact on the viewer...

but TSI cover is even more horrible...italy should have sued them for disgracing spaghetti. i have never seen such disgusting spaghetti in my life, actually :D

Yes you are right 😂👍. 

In Italy some spaghetti like TSI cover ended in the bin