how many times Slash played madagascar, and any links?

hi... I haven't been following, but is there a good collection of CD era songs that Slash had played live?

Would love to hear best of his renditions, starting with Madagascar, and then anything else you can throw at me :)

tnx. 

(I hope this is ok request, since its not about leaks)

Edited by username05

So I refuse to post any links due to the Cyber Police taking them down but they broadcasted the November 2017 show from the Forum in Inglewood, CA on SiriusXM and it has versions of every CD song Slash played on, including a great version of Madagascar. The show is pretty easy to find if you Google it.

Edited by The Matinator

5 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

So I refuse to post any links due to the Cyber Police taking them down but they broadcasted the November 2017 show from the Forum in Inglewood, CA on SiriusXM and it has versions of every CD song Slash played on, including a great version of Madagascar. The show is pretty easy to find if you Google it.

thanks! Headed to google right now

Edited by username05
  • Like 1

WOW!!! Nice! They re-produced better intro! It starts with a fkin solo! Been waiting for a proper intro to that song for 13 years!

this is quite promising! If Slash and Duff make such changes to other songs... then the CD songs will get even better! CEWL

Edited by username05
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, seely said:

Chinese

Better

TWAT

Catcher

Sorry

Madagasacar

This I Love

Prostitute

All played with Slash and Duff. Who would have expected that 5 years ago?

damn! Can you recomend best performances for each of those?
The original CD lineup never played Catcher live! and I'd trade all the leaks to have heard Finck play Catcher live :(

lol... just listening Slash's solo on TWAT... Buckethead really made it impossible to compete :D Awsome Buckethead :D When even slash struggles with :D it
got to admit it... finck kicked ass at Sorry solo.

Axl really had a powerhouse of musicians by his side :( 2 bad for bad luck... its amazing how much buckethead contributed within first year of being in the band (judging by the leaks). 2 bad he stayed for such a short while :(

Edited by username05

Slash is on record as saying the stuff Bucket played is hard to play. I think there is a lot of respect there. 

Look at how Finck bastardized the November Rain solo. I think Axl hit the nail on the head when he once said in one of his "rants" that it is difficult to ask musicians to play the part - or parts of musicians before them. 

2 hours ago, username05 said:

The original CD lineup never played Catcher live! and I'd trade all the leaks to have heard Finck play Catcher live :(

lol... just listening Slash's solo on TWAT... Buckethead really made it impossible to compete :D Awsome Buckethead :D When even slash struggles with :D it

Axl really had a powerhouse of musicians by his side :( 2 bad for bad luck... its amazing how much buckethead contributed within first year of being in the band (judging by the leaks). 2 bad he stayed for such a short while :(

Slash actually pulled off buckethead’s solo in Mexico, 2016. It brought me to tears.

2 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Can you point me to where you're finding the show? You claim it's an easy find on Google but I'm having a hell of a time :P

4 hours ago, username05 said:

For prostitute id recommend Houston 2017

11 hours ago, bdinan said:

Slash is on record as saying the stuff Bucket played is hard to play. I think there is a lot of respect there. 

Look at how Finck bastardized the November Rain solo. I think Axl hit the nail on the head when he once said in one of his "rants" that it is difficult to ask musicians to play the part - or parts of musicians before them. 

It must be incredibly boring also, as a musician, to be asked to strictly reproduce something someone else has done, in a live setting, over and over again.  Musicians don't really work that way.  And how far do you take that sort of a mentality...and what is the purpose of it?  The purpose of it, I suppose, logically, it to sound as much like the original as possible...but how far do you take that?  Use the same equipment and set up?  It must feel like you've been hired for mimicry.  All a musician can never do is his take on a particular thing, at least in a rock context.  This is why I've never been a big one for 'such and such bastardized that solo', Robin Finck doing November Rain should sound like Robin Finck doing November Rain, not Robin Finck trying to sound like Slash in the early 90s doing November Rain.  Firstly he'll never pull it off and secondly why would he care to?  Same goes for Slash doing Buckethead.  The best of bands tend to take that sort of thing in a different direction each night.  Some would call that musical ineptitude or a kind of sloppiness but I'm not sure I agree with that, not in every case anyway.  The logical extension I suppose is to just have it down on sheet music and learn to read sheet music and play the shit strictly by the book.  Don't expect too much freewheelin' passion though.

Even classical musicians doing venerated pieces, pieces they don't really have the liberty to tinker with, don't all sound exactly the same.

Edited by Len Cnut

13 hours ago, bdinan said:

For all his weirdness, Buckethead is still a virtuoso on the guitar at the level of Satriani.

Slash is very good at playing blues and rock n roll, but he can't compete with the Buckethead and Satriani's of this world on a technical level.

Part of what makes Slash special is his tone and feel of playing. And of course his style with the top hat etc.

It's somewhat comparable to "slow hand" Eric Clapton. Lots of players are faster and more technical proficient, but Clapton has a certain feel for how he plays something that just makes it sound so much better.

Slash in 2003:

The solo isn't fast, but it sounds sweet as hell. You instantly recognize who is playing it.

But when it comes to Bucketheads solo's being played live... Bumblefoot was miles ahead of Slash. Just watch TWAT solo's on YouTube.

It requires a lot of technical skill. The finger picking in between and shit like that. And some hand positioning where the pinky goes somewhere my hand would feel like it's breaking :lol:

It's not exactly a typical blues solo.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Im @ work so I didn't get the chance to post it but they also broadcasted a show from the Apollo Theater the same year and I personally like the versions of Better, Sorry & This I Love More the the forum ones.

That apollo show was the first time Axl pulled out that weird demonic voice in the chorus of Better iirc. I remember listening live and hearing it and then going back through every single other show to see if it was a common thing because i thought it was badass. 

15 hours ago, seely said:

Chinese

Better

TWAT

Catcher

Sorry

Madagasacar

This I Love

Prostitute

All played with Slash and Duff. Who would have expected that 5 years ago?

I hope they add Street of Dreams, IRS, If the World and Shackler's to that list someday. And while they are at it, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God and Silkowrms :)

It seems strange that they have not played street of Dreams, it was a mainstay in the setlist for so long and I always thought it was one of the CD songs that most resembles the Illusions era. 

Edited by Thorbear

13 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Slash actually pulled off buckethead’s solo in Mexico, 2016. It brought me to tears.

It brought me to tears too, but in the sense that I was crying over how he butchered it.

14 minutes ago, Thorbear said:

This makes me miss Bumblefoot :( 

Bumblefoot was a class act. Great guy. Only wanted the best for the fans, which I can’t say any other Guns member has really embraced. Extremely talented as well. Nothing but good things to say about him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It brought me to tears too, but in the sense that I was crying over how he butchered it.

Bumblefoot was a class act. Great guy. Only wanted the best for the fans, which I can’t say any other Guns member has really embraced. Extremely talented as well. Nothing but good things to say about him.

What did he want for the fans. Im not informed on that.

And finck was awsome as well. He was posting fan photos and emails on his site.https://web.archive.org/web/20070403020225/http://robinfinck.com/submission/letters/index.php

And was genuinely pissed off when they canceled Rock in rio (2004?)

Have to find his letter to fans...

I guess he left because he felt like he was getting no work done and just idling for 10 years. And those were his prime years.

Robin's mail to the fans April 2004: 

dear friends,
i want to make this opportunity to comment on gnr's recent withdrawal from the rock-in-lisbon festival. i was disappointed, as were the lot of us, to come to grips that we won't be performing there as anticipated. my bags have been packed for some time awaiting such an event. i'm chomping at the bit to get out and really shake things up with gnr and look forward to the release of the new album and ultimately to tour and to tour.
'til then - love, r ob i n

Edited by username05

For some reason, my ears find it hard to distinguish what Slash is actually playing on Madagascar live. At least in the recordings I’ve listened to, there are too many things going on for me to try and hear what he’s playing. Probably because my hearing is going to shit these days too  

I’d love to hear an isolated version of just Slash’s guitar from Madagascar played live, if such a thing exists

On 18/09/2019 at 11:11 AM, Lethalis said:

But when it comes to Bucketheads solo's being played live... Bumblefoot was miles ahead of Slash. Just watch TWAT solo's on YouTube.

It requires a lot of technical skill. The finger picking in between and shit like that. And some hand positioning where the pinky goes somewhere my hand would feel like it's breaking :lol:

It's not exactly a typical blues solo.

Do you know what show that video is from?