ELVIS

action

190759406427_600x600.jpg

there's this new compilation of 11 recorded shows of elvis, in 1969 when he just returned to live performing, and it's totally awesome. Here, the band is still very much rock n roll and Elvis still sings mean and lean on most of these songs. The sound quality is perfect, and it's just the perfect experience.

there's dinner and midnight shows, so every day at lunch I play the former, and just before I go to sleep I play the latter. case of getting in the mood in listening to these concerts.

I feel like it's cool to listen to Elvis again, don't you think? The media and the public are focusing again on what made him great, and the ridiculous later stage of his career tends to be ignored a bit like it should.

• Like 3

It never stopped being cool to me, Elvis is fuckin' class, he is basically the embodiment of all the possibilities of rock n roll, style, subversion, attitude, class tunes.  That first album of Elvises is basically the start of it all and to me has to be among the toppermost rock n roll albums ever created, it really doesn't get any better than that album, Elvises voice is glorious on it, Scotty Moore basically inspired an entire generation of guitarists and DJ's swinging drumming (a key ingridient in any PROPER rock n roll band) is just fantastic.

And y'know there's some quality work even in his later period, the band were always solid, the stage productions etc are what the stereotypes are based around but the music was there, always more in spits and spurts. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It never stopped being cool to me, Elvis is fuckin' class, he is basically the embodiment of all the possibilities of rock n roll, style, subversion, attitude, class tunes.  That first album of Elvises is basically the start of it all and to me has to be among the toppermost rock n roll albums ever created, it really doesn't get any better than that album, Elvises voice is glorious on it, Scotty Moore basically inspired an entire generation of guitarists and DJ's swinging drumming (a key ingridient in any PROPER rock n roll band) is just fantastic.

And y'know there's some quality work even in his later period, the band were always solid, the stage productions etc are what the stereotypes are based around but the music was there, always more in spits and spurts. 

I see a trend these days, where historic artists are being rediscovered and repositioned to their peak moments and are being "symbolized" along the way. You've got the freddie biopic, the elton biopic, there are hipsters wearing old band shirts litterally everywhere, just the other day I bought Queen's greatest hits 1 and this fashionable 20 - something bloke went "cool choice", whereas I clearly remember 20 years ago at school this was dismissed as fagg*t music and some douche even boasted how he threw the GH1 album in the trash.

all of these artists are being stripped of their worse connotations, and are being viewed (reduced?) almost as being iconic, as "symbols" of a fashion. These hipsters don't know nirvana, they dont know AC/DC, but they're still wearing the t shirt. They don't know Elvis was fat and wearing ridiculous costumes, they think about the 1968 special now.

1 minute ago, action said:

I see a trend these days, where historic artists are being rediscovered and repositioned to their peak moments and are being "symbolized" along the way. You've got the freddie biopic, the elton biopic, there are hipsters wearing old band shirts litterally everywhere, just the other day I bought Queen's greatest hits 1 and this fashionable 20 - something bloke went "cool choice", whereas I clearly remember 20 years ago at school this was dismissed as fagg*t music and some douche even boasted how he threw the GH1 album in the trash.

all of these artists are being stripped of their worse connotations, and are being viewed (reduced?) almost as being iconic, as "symbols" of a fashion. These hipsters don't know nirvana, they dont know AC/DC, but they're still wearing the t shirt. They don't know Elvis was fat and wearing ridiculous costumes, they think about the 1968 special now.

Elvis got a lot of shit over these weird 'racist' accusations and that oft quoted thing 'the only thing black people can for me is shine my shoes', a quote that he never said.  More than that he collaborated with black people, had an all black back up singing group for a while and more than anything, regardless of these accusations of ethnic forgery, took black music and made a sensation out of it, which did a lot for black music as well as for himself and the poplarized white take on such music.

As for the rediscovered aspect, yeah, that HBO documentary The Searcher kind of sought to undo a lot of the damage that had been done to Elvises rep' and contextualise him and give him his proper artistic respect.  It was a lot of things with Elvis though, the bloated end, the racist claims, the 'he never wrote his songs therefore can't be a proper artist' claims but fuck that shit, I don't give a shit who wrote it, it could be a team of writers doing it for wholly commercial considerations for all I care, if you can sing the bastard like you fuckin' mean it and make me feel it then I'm onside.  All this artist bullshit, fine, he's not an artist, give him another name, call it a loo brush for all I care, as long as the tunes bang. 

I've always held a funny position with the t shirts and that, I don't give a shit who wears em and i don't hold no issue against some bloke if he likes the design of The Ramones logo and don't know shit about em, us fans get to precious about this shit, like liking this band makes you part of some kind of special society or something, fuck that shit, it only tunes innit, end of the day.  I always think like, I paid for a thing, if someone came over to me and questioned or took the mickey out of my wearing it, like I didn't have a right I'd tell em to fuck off.  In fact I always kept this thing in my head that if anyone ever did approach me (which they never have I don't think) about some band related shit I was wearing I'd probably say I didn't know who or what they were just to wind the other person up...and if they've still got a problem after that well what are they gonna do about it? 

I tend to avoid wearing clothes with shit written on em now.  Perhaps I'm getting old or something but like...band t shirts or clothes with certain statements or slogans on em, alright, fair enough, you like a certain band or have a particular stance about a given thing...why do you care to let people know about it?  You just make a caricature of yourself, like 'oh look, there goes such and such, he's like 'x' '.  I suppose you could just like the design too. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, action said:

Im wondering if music fans are looking to past bands, because the rock music scene at the moment is uninteresting.

I know what you're saying but it wasn't really the same.  Axl has had huge chunks of time when he wasn't touring whereas Elvis was on an endless grind starting in 69/70 until his death. Then you add his Vegas residency on top of that and it became an impossible schedule.  Another difference was that Elvis actually released new music during that time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I know what you're saying but it wasn't really the same.  Axl has had huge chunks of time when he wasn't touring whereas Elvis was on an endless grind starting in 69/70 until his death. Then you add his Vegas residency on top of that and it became an impossible schedule.  Another difference was that Elvis actually released new music during that time.

I'm listening to the 11 cd box of his 1969 concerts, when all was still exciting and fresh, and by god was he on an insane schedule there already. two shows a day, weeks on end. and that was just the beginning.

11 consecutive concerts on that box, and those were really just a taster of what went down that first month

Edited by action

9 minutes ago, action said:

I'm listening to the 11 cd box of his 1969 concerts, when all was still exciting and fresh, and by god was he on an insane schedule there already. two shows a day, weeks on end. and that was just the beginning.

11 consecutive concerts on that box, and those were really just a taster of what went down that first month

Absolutely.  Elvis did two shows nightly in Vegas at 9 and midnight.  And he would even add a 3AM show if the overflow crowds warranted it.  This was pretty rare but it did happen.   Can you imagine, that's insane but so friggin cool. 

Edited by lame ass security