Gn'R playing Wrigley Field (Chicago) July 27th

6 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

I bet you nothing is happening... 

This is tempting.....

I'm basing it on the stepping up of venue sizes here. I'd be absolutely shocked if a seemingly random decision has been made to do another stadium run aftter 3 or so runs of not-sold out Arenas. It would seem beyond comprehension and logic. 

Surely? 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

This is tempting.....

I'm basing it on the stepping up of venue sizes here. I'd be absolutely shocked if a seemingly random decision has been made to do another stadium run aftter 3 or so runs of not-sold out Arenas. It would seem beyond comprehension and logic. 

Surely? 

This is my thought process as well. As others have stated, you logically cannot UP the venue size from arenas to stadiums on your 5th year of touring without a drastic change in your brand. It literally doesn’t make economical sense. If we can recognize that, surely they are aware as well. SOMETHING has to be cooking.  

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

This is tempting.....

Surely? 

They can do a small run of stadium shows in big markets over the course of July/August. They will sell in Chicago, Boston, NYC, LA, etc..

Shows don’t have to sell out to make $ for a promoter. They’ll do well in those bigger markets 

We knew there was gonna be a summer stadium tour. Susan leaked it already. My only real question was if GNR would do Lollapalooza or their own date. I guess we have the answer. I'm sort of mad. Concerts at Wrigley are very expensive and GNR is very expensive. People like to be "seen" at Wrigley for concerts. Def Leppard plays in town at a venue just outside Chicago for $20-$40 a ticket. Their Wrigley dates were going for like $200.

Edited by GnR Chris

1 minute ago, GNRfanJen said:

This is my thought process as well. As others have stated, you logically cannot UP the venue size from arenas to stadiums on your 5th year of touring without a drastic change in your brand. It literally doesn’t make economical sense. If we can recognize that, surely they are aware as well. SOMETHING has to be cooking.  

Yeah, that's what I said above. 

Practically, booking agents are going to look at ticket sales on previous runs and guage future demand on that. Surely the only way they'd agree to book them into bigger venues is the promise of a predicted spike in demand, for whatever reason that may be....

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

They can do a small run of stadium shows in big markets over the course of July/August. They will sell in Chicago, Boston, NYC, LA, etc..

Shows don’t have to sell out to make $ for a promoter. They’ll do well in those bigger markets 

Would they sell out? I'm not sure at all. America has been absolutely saturated with GNR dates. 

Time will tell I guess, but another run around the world with the same setlist? WOW. 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Would they sell out? I'm not sure at all. America has been absolutely saturated with GNR dates. 

Time will tell I guess, but another run around the world with the same setlist? WOW. 

They last played Chicago in 2017. It’s been 3 yrs. It will sell. 

Shows don’t have to sell out for the promoter to make $

Also, most fans that attend want that set list. They could give 2 shits about CD or new music. Bathroom break material there 

Edited by guitarpatch

4 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

They last played Chicago in 2017. It’s been 3 yrs. It will sell. 

Shows don’t have to sell out for the promoter to make $

That was an Arena though right? So why would they go back and do a stadium? Why not an Arena again? 

I can't see why they'd think they could sell MORE tickets this far into the tour......

Sure they don't have to sell it out, but if their drawing power is nearly filling Arenas, why spend extra hiring a Stadium and having empty seats? 

Edited by allwaystired

Just now, allwaystired said:

That was an Arena though right? So why would they go back and do a stadium? Why not an Arena again? 

I can't see why they'd think they could sell MORE tickets this far into the tour......

Sure they don't have to sell it out, but if their drawing power is nearly filling Arenas, why spend extra hiring a Stadium and having empty seats? 

They played an arena in 2017 because they played 2 stadium shows in 2016. It’s been 3 years. A Wrigley show is enough for those fans to return. They haven’t seen them there yet 

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

They played an arena in 2017 because they played 2 stadium shows in 2016. It’s been 3 years. A Wrigley show is enough for those fans to return. They haven’t seen them there yet 

I'm sorry, you may be right, but I don't really buy that.

The buzz has gone, the tour is still rumbling on, if they couldn't fill an Arena in 2017 in a city I can't possibly see how they'd fill a stadium in the same city after even more of the buzz/demand from casuals has gone. 

People went in 2016. Less people went the next time they came to the City. Makes absolute sense. Whether 3 years has gone past or not, if it's the same tour, and the same set, it follows that less people again will want to see them the next time they play in the City. 

The 'playing a different venue' thing doesn't really hold water. If it did, why did all those people that went in 2016 not want to go the next time, when it was a different venue?