Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Shame! It didn't explain those things on purpose because you are supposed to think about them after the movie is over.

Agreed, it's stunning. As Wasted said, the line 'we're not bad people, we just come from a bad place' (and the obvious sexual tension between them) is all that's needed. It's a beautiful film and Steve McQueen is an extraordinary talent.

Good day to be a die hard fan. Ill probably go. I mean its Die hard how good were the others really. Its die hard, one liners, smoking, and yippe kai yay motherfuckers.

The original is a classic of the genre and the sequels vary from fantastic (3), to perfectly agreeable (2 and to a lesser extent 4). This one doesn't feel like part of the series, it's like a cheapo straight to DVD piece of shit that inexplicably features the character John McClane...even though he doesn't feel like John McClane and Willis gives the exact same performance he gives in everything now.

Saw A Good Day a couple days ago. It's the first Die Hard I've seen.

I dunno. I guess I'll have to see the others to understand all the complaints. Is anyone actually expecting a great storyline here and Oscar worthy acting? It's an action movie. Enter the theater, shut off your brain for an hour and a half, and enjoy the ride.

That said, I thought the car chase went on too long and it just lost me halfway through it. McClane was kind of annoying actually, with his wisecracks that felt tacked on and out of place. I thought Jai Courtney was actually better than Willis, and he felt like more of an action star to me (this might have something to do with his age and muscles).

I guess I can see how this movie falls short of The Last Stand and Parker, two other action flicks I've seen recently. Those films actually seemed to have a bit of a storyline to them, and some set up, whereas this one was just flying by the seat of it's pants.

Edited by KBear

Aren't they going to make another Rush Hour?

maybe it's not classed an action movie, but I think Jackie is done. He was talking about wanting to do movies like Clint now. Can't see him being a leading man, but maybe if he funds them.

I love Shame! It didn't explain those things on purpose because you are supposed to think about them after the movie is over.

Agreed, it's stunning. As Wasted said, the line 'we're not bad people, we just come from a bad place' (and the obvious sexual tension between them) is all that's needed. It's a beautiful film and Steve McQueen is an extraordinary talent.

Good day to be a die hard fan. Ill probably go. I mean its Die hard how good were the others really. Its die hard, one liners, smoking, and yippe kai yay motherfuckers.

The original is a classic of the genre and the sequels vary from fantastic (3), to perfectly agreeable (2 and to a lesser extent 4). This one doesn't feel like part of the series, it's like a cheapo straight to DVD piece of shit that inexplicably features the character John McClane...even though he doesn't feel like John McClane and Willis gives the exact same performance he gives in everything now.

Saw A Good Day a couple days ago. It's the first Die Hard I've seen.

I dunno. I guess I'll have to see the others to understand all the complaints. Is anyone actually expecting a great storyline here and Oscar worthy acting? It's an action movie. Enter the theater, shut off your brain for an hour and a half, and enjoy the ride.

That said, I thought the car chase went on too long and it just lost me halfway through it. McClane was kind of annoying actually, with his wisecracks that felt tacked on and out of place. I thought Jai Courtney was actually better than Willis, and he felt like more of an action star to me (this might have something to do with his age and muscles).

I guess I can see how this movie falls short of The Last Stand and Parker, two other action flicks I've seen recently. Those films actually seemed to have a bit of a storyline to them, and some set up, whereas this one was just flying by the seat of it's pants.

See the first Die Hard then you'll understand exactly why most say A Good Day is a poor entry in the series. The first film was one guy taking on a team of terrorists because he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The whole film was him talking to himself and using his wits to get out of tight situations. The action was exciting and sometimes pushed the boundaries of believability but still remained grounded enough to differentiate it from most action movies of the time. Above all else, it had a tight script and an inspired plot. The key to the movie is its simplicity. One setting, one man, one terrorist leader and a group of baddies. He's got to use his creativity to outsmart the entire team with little outside help aside from Alan - the lone cop who believes McClane is telling the truth. The other cops think McClane might just be one of the terrorists playing them and thus stage attacks against the terrorists against McClane's wishes and only end up screwing things up even more.

Now, they've turned McClane into a generic action hero, and thus A Good Day plays more like a typical action film. Entertaining, but not a Die Hard film. It lost what made the films so great in the first place. My biggest complaint was that it was just action set piece after action set piece. Very little outsmarting done by either McClane or his son.

Die Hard should have been left as one film, but I guess they just wanted to make more money.

I forgot who said it but one guy said the problem with the last two Die Hards were the directors. They grew up watching the movies so they were feeling nostalgic and forgot what made the films so good.