Guns n Roses to tour Canada

cruenadian

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's great the band is announcing tour dates, but my god, anyone here besides me think it's a little late to start touring trying to promote this album? 1st concert dates after the album were released won't happen until 1yr after it's release.............what a fucking waiste of a good album

No. There is no rule that says a band has to tour immediately after an album's release. Just because everyone does it a certain way does not make it the ONLY way. And as far as I know, C.D. is still available for purchase.

Going to try to make Hamilton, London, and Toronto! Maybe Ottawa too. 3 shows would be pretty f'n awesome! I work till 8pm the night of the Toronto show, will probably get there around 9pm, which means I'll be there early. :lol:

Just curious, it looks like the Copps Coliseum in Hamilton is huge (18,000). Hamilton is only 60 miles from London, ON, and basically a suburb of Toronto. I want to possibly go to this show and the London show, but don't want to buy tickets for a show that will be sparsely attended or possibly canceled. Can anyone who lives in this area provide some info--is this normal for bands to book all three places, and sell well? Is Hamilton independent enough from Toronto, that the show will be able to sell well on it's own? Will Hamilton draw many fans from Buffalo, and that is why they are booking this date? Any info is appreciated.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=155718&pid=2525906&st=0entry2525906

Copps holds 18000+ for rock shows, it is far enough away from Toronto and with over 5 million people within 100 miles it is a huge market, Britney Spears just sold out a show here easily, GNR will sell out fast, it is normal for the bands to book it like this any fans that could not get in Toronto show come here and Buffalo fans would rather go here than Toronto because it is closer. GNR will be selling out in Hamilton for sure dude, I live in Hamilton BTW it is a strong music scene here, VR played to a packed house here as well...

Gunsguy

The Ticketmaster seating chart for Guns N' Roses shows that they're tarping off almost half of the arena for the Hamilton show -

30384s_a.gif

Going to try to make Hamilton, London, and Toronto! Maybe Ottawa too. 3 shows would be pretty f'n awesome! I work till 8pm the night of the Toronto show, will probably get there around 9pm, which means I'll be there early. :lol:

Just curious, it looks like the Copps Coliseum in Hamilton is huge (18,000). Hamilton is only 60 miles from London, ON, and basically a suburb of Toronto. I want to possibly go to this show and the London show, but don't want to buy tickets for a show that will be sparsely attended or possibly canceled. Can anyone who lives in this area provide some info--is this normal for bands to book all three places, and sell well? Is Hamilton independent enough from Toronto, that the show will be able to sell well on it's own? Will Hamilton draw many fans from Buffalo, and that is why they are booking this date? Any info is appreciated.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=155718&pid=2525906&st=0entry2525906

Copps holds 18000+ for rock shows, it is far enough away from Toronto and with over 5 million people within 100 miles it is a huge market, Britney Spears just sold out a show here easily, GNR will sell out fast, it is normal for the bands to book it like this any fans that could not get in Toronto show come here and Buffalo fans would rather go here than Toronto because it is closer. GNR will be selling out in Hamilton for sure dude, I live in Hamilton BTW it is a strong music scene here, VR played to a packed house here as well...

Gunsguy

The Ticketmaster seating chart for Guns N' Roses shows that they're tarping off almost half of the arena for the Hamilton show -

30384s_a.gif

GA? That's so fucking awesome, I looked at the seat chart the other day and it looked seated on the floor...

Gunsguy

30384s_a.gif

GA? That's so fucking awesome, I looked at the seat chart the other day and it looked seated on the floor...

Yeah they were going to do the exact same thing in 93 then ticket sales went through the roof and they opened seating all behind the stage

Gunsguy

There is no rule that says a band has to tour immediately after an album's release. Just because everyone does it a certain way does not make it the ONLY way. And as far as I know, C.D. is still available for purchase.

it's an unspoken rule but it's there. And it pretty much is the only way, or the right way at least...

Gunsguy

30384s_a.gif

Yeah they were going to do the exact same thing in 93 then ticket sales went through the roof and they opened seating all behind the stage

Gunsguy

Unfortunately, at this point, they're probably going to have to tape off more to make that place look full . . .

Gunsguy

30384s_a.gif

Gunsguy

Unfortunately, at this point, they're probably going to have to tape off more to make that place look full . . .

This is Canada. We sell out our concerts. CD sold the most in Canada, so I'm sure people will fill these arenas.

that's great the band is announcing tour dates, but my god, anyone here besides me think it's a little late to start touring trying to promoAnd te this album? 1st concert dates after the album were released won't happen until 1yr after it's release.............what a fucking waiste of a good album

If you follow the music buisness a bit closer than the average Joe, you would have picked up on that bands don't tour to promote albums anymore! It's the other way around! Now, with albums selling less and less, they release albums to promote tours! That's the norm! Concerts, merch and licensing is where the money is at! And if the past 9 years have taught us anything, GNR is one of the few major acts that do fairly sucessfull tours WITHOUT an album! So they win either way! :thumbsup:

With every album in the world being litteraly free on the web, the music buisness has been forced into shifting their focus! It's not 1992 anymore!

From Duff McKagan's column in Playboy:

"A rock tour back then [early 90's], at the dawn of the digital era, was really just a huge commercial to sell your record. Because a larger portion of people get their music for free via piracy these days, touring, “merch” sales (mostly t-shirts, but also stickers and pins and anything else you can slap your band’s logo onto), and licensing of one’s music for ads and ringtones must support the average music act these days."

http://www.playboy.com/articles/duffonomics-the-dirty-side-of-the-music-business/index.html

So, to all you whiners that cling to the "why-the-hell-would-they-tour-off-a-year-old-album" - argument! Read and educate yourself a little!!

that's great the band is announcing tour dates, but my god, anyone here besides me think it's a little late to start touring trying to promoAnd te this album? 1st concert dates after the album were released won't happen until 1yr after it's release.............what a fucking waiste of a good album

If you follow the music buisness a bit closer than the average Joe, you would have picked up on that bands don't tour to promote albums anymore! It's the other way around! Now, with albums selling less and less, they release albums to promote tours! That's the norm! Concerts, merch and licensing is where the money is at! And if the past 9 years have taught us anything, GNR is one of the few major acts that do fairly sucessfull tours WITHOUT an album! So they win either way! :thumbsup:

With every album in the world being litteraly free on the web, the music buisness has been forced into shifting their focus! It's not 1992 anymore!

"A rock tour back then [early 90's], at the dawn of the digital era, was really just a huge commercial to sell your record. Because a larger portion of people get their music for free via piracy these days, touring, “merch” sales (mostly t-shirts, but also stickers and pins and anything else you can slap your band’s logo onto), and licensing of one’s music for ads and ringtones must support the average music act these days."

http://www.playboy.com/articles/duffonomics-the-dirty-side-of-the-music-business/index.html

So, to all you whiners that cling to the "why-the-hell-would-they-tour-off-a-year-old-album" - argument! Read and educate yourself a little!!

You're basically right. But don't you think that the much-fabled term 'momentum' doesn't count? I do. The way I see it is that I couldn't really give a fuck about the business side of things but more about the fan's sensibility. And it really sucked big time for fans after the release of CD / Axl chats... I don't really buy into that 'Axl doesn't owe us anything'-crap and frankly, I don't believe all of Axl's whining about how complicated everything is 'behind the scenes' ( :violin: ). If he REALLY wanted it, he could have toured earlier. It's GNR or at least an incarnation of it for fuck's sake. That for me is the most disappointing thing: His indiffrence towards his fans.

You're basically right. But don't you think that the much-fabled term 'momentum' doesn't count? I do. The way I see it is that I couldn't really give a fuck about the business side of things but more about the fan's sensibility. And it really sucked big time for fans after the release of CD / Axl chats... I don't really buy into that 'Axl doesn't owe us anything'-crap and frankly, I don't believe all of Axl's whining about how complicated everything is 'behind the scenes' ( :violin: ). If he REALLY wanted it, he could have toured earlier. It's GNR or at least an incarnation of it for fuck's sake. That for me is the most disappointing thing: His indiffrence towards his fans.

The way I see it is that I couldn't really give a fuck about the business side of things but more about the fan's sensibility.

If I remember correctly. He closed of his chats with words like: "Thank you so much for nice comments, recently and over the years. It's greatly appriciated" (or something like that...)

To me, that shows a man that truly cares about that we appriciate his/their work (ChiDem/tours). But if he started to do things ACCORDING to fans whishes, then he would be comprimising his art! You see, the diffeerence? Tom Zutaut said something like, "Axl is one of the few artists I've worked with who truly doesn't care about money"

That things have gone sour with GNR and the label due to the release of ChiDem, is common sense I guess. At least that is what I got out of one of the few interviews he did after the release. There must have been a lot of stuff goin' on behind the scenes. Stuff we will never hear about, and I couldn't give a damn...

And judging from the MAJORITY of hyped up diehard fans on the forums, most are psycked that GN'R is touring soon! And the diehards are gonna be the MINORITY at the shows. It'll be mostly casual rock-fans. So the few whiner's opinions on the forums counts for ZERO in the grand scheme of things! And THAT is really why a MINORITY of you whiners are so but-hurt!

:violin::violin::violin:

The way I see it is that I couldn't really give a fuck about the business side of things but more about the fan's sensibility.

If I remember correctly. He closed of his chats with words like: "Thank you so much for nice comments, recently and over the years. It's greatly appriciated" (or something like that...)

To me, that shows a man that truly cares about that we appriciate his/their work (ChiDem/tours). But if he started to do things ACCORDING to fans whishes, then he would be comprimising his art! You see, the diffeerence? Tom Zutaut said something like, "Axl is one of the few artists I've worked with who truly doesn't care about money"

That things have gone sour with GNR and the label due to the release of ChiDem, is common sense I guess. At least that is what I got out of one of the few interviews he did after the release. There must have been a lot of stuff goin' on behind the scenes. Stuff we will never hear about, and I couldn't give a damn...

And judging from the MAJORITY of hyped up diehard fans on the forums, most are psycked that GN'R is touring soon! And the diehards are gonna be the MINORITY at the shows. It'll be mostly casual rock-fans. So the few whiner's opinions on the forums counts for ZERO in the grand scheme of things! And THAT is really why a MINORITY of you whiners are so but-hurt!

:violin::violin::violin:

I don't consider myself a diehard of the new line-up. Leaving that discussion aside, I know that my opinion counts for zero in the grand scheme of things. But so does yours.

PS: 'Butt-hurt' is a very tacky word that became popular on this forum a while ago...please come up with a new word.

Edited by LysanderSky

Gunsguy

30384s_a.gif

Gunsguy

Have the people commenting in this thread ever even BEEN to the venues they're yapping about?

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular but this is getting funny. Seems like some people are dooming these shows to failure or something simply because they didn't tour right when the CD came out, or because the venues are too big, yada yada. Yet in 2006 with no CD they sold out 5 of 8 Canadian shows and the rest were pretty full. That's WHY Canada is getting this tour I'm sure (or Axl really, really likes poutine or beavertails or something ;)). Rock sells better on average here than in the U.S. for various reasons (I'm sure U.S. dates will come mind you).

The photos shown are normal End Stage layouts for rock shows. GNR uses video screens, so no one wants to sit behind the stage or even at side-stage because you CAN'T SEE SHIT due to the screens and equipment.

Tool played Copps with that exact same setup - I was actually in the venue. That's not half the arena, that's the normal diagram for all shows, not just GNR. That show sold out and they didn't open up more seats - although they did add a second show.

A few seats might get opened up if it sells out but generally speaking, what you see is what they're expecting to sell.

As for location - Hamilton, as much as I dislike the city (it's pretty dirty - our answer to Detroit or something), is not a subburb of Toronto and whoever said that probably pissed off a lot of Hamilton natives considering they just lost out on an NHL team yet again thanks to Bettman and the Leafs veto :P It's got a population of 500,000 and gets quite a few shows each year. Like I said, Tool managed to sell out 2 nights so it's by no means a hick town. And that was after playing Toronto on the first leg of their tour.

I've seen shows at all four venues GNR is playing in Ontario (not GNR at all though) and the band will likely do pretty well even with the "close" distance. Very few people are going to drive from London in the dead of winter for a concert but in 2002 the place was packed (only holds about 10,000 for end stage concerts). The ACC and Bell Centre (Montreal, Quebec for the latter) seem huge but given the population and end stage layout they're going to hold a few thousand less than what they can for hockey - the floor doesn't make up for it because of fire code regulations (can't oversell the floor so you always lose).

In other words... chill out with worrying if shows will sell well etc. Buy your tix and enjoy em.

Whoever asked which shows in Ontario to check out:

London

Hamilton

Ottawa

Toronto

in that order. Toronto crowds suck (and that's my home town crowd). They get too many shows (spoiled), and you get a lot of non-fans showing up who got tickets through some promotion or other. They have a serious reputation for lame crowds for concerts and sports.

London is home to Western (University) so you can get a pretty crazy crowd. It's pretty fucking nasty there in winter (unless you're from up north/out west) and there's not really fuck all happening other than this show most likely ;) 2002 there was nuts, including some crazy guy running through the rafters and a lot of screaming in the streets after the show.

Hamilton gets a good crowd - it's kinda a rock/punk/metal town. Industrial area.

Ottawa's average I suppose. Good crowds, kinda a quiet town. The arena is in the burbs, not in Ottawa itself, so look for a bus or have transportation for after the show.

its a very good point. people like to ignore somethingl ike this, and instead focus on silence. silence means nothing, but people take that silence as a negative, hes not talking so he obviously hates us.

thats a huge logical jump to make.

im not defending the silence, but too many people just jump to the negative. when axl came here, he was fucknig great. he was humble, open and in good spirits. a lot of people were shocked, it was amazing.

then after a few months of silence hes back to hitler status. i dont think the silence means he hates us, thats ridiculous

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

Edited by Jackie Moon

its a very good point. people like to ignore somethingl ike this, and instead focus on silence. silence means nothing, but people take that silence as a negative, hes not talking so he obviously hates us.

thats a huge logical jump to make.

im not defending the silence, but too many people just jump to the negative. when axl came here, he was fucknig great. he was humble, open and in good spirits. a lot of people were shocked, it was amazing.

then after a few months of silence hes back to hitler status. i dont think the silence means he hates us, thats ridiculous

You rock for posting the Jump to Conclusions mat from Office Space :)

Whoever asked which shows in Ontario to check out:

London

Hamilton

Ottawa

Toronto

in that order. Toronto crowds suck (and that's my home town crowd). They get too many shows (spoiled), and you get a lot of non-fans showing up who got tickets through some promotion or other. They have a serious reputation for lame crowds for concerts and sports.

London is home to Western (University) so you can get a pretty crazy crowd. It's pretty fucking nasty there in winter (unless you're from up north/out west) and there's not really fuck all happening other than this show most likely ;) 2002 there was nuts, including some crazy guy running through the rafters and a lot of screaming in the streets after the show.

Hamilton gets a good crowd - it's kinda a rock/punk/metal town. Industrial area.

Ottawa's average I suppose. Good crowds, kinda a quiet town. The arena is in the burbs, not in Ottawa itself, so look for a bus or have transportation for after the show.

I completely agree. London was awesome and I'm really hoping to go again somehow. Right now money is tight as hell, don't even have enough for one ticket, let alone the three shows I want to go to (Toronto, Hamilton, and London). London should be the top choice of anyone who's coming from outside of Ontario, especially our American friends. It's such a bigger party town. Hamilton is Canada's Pittsburgh, blue-collar steel town that has a huge appetite for rock. Toronto use to be a good concert crowd twenty years ago, but everything became too commercialized and ticket prices are too high for the degenerates that bring the chaos to shows like these,

I will say that I'm curious whether Hamilton and London will eat into Toronto sales. In '02 you had the novelty of it being GNR's first show in almost ten years, and Toronto and London were your only options. London sold out and Toronto was pretty close. In '06 you only had the one show in Toronto, so a large percentage of people from all over the golden horseshoe drove to see the show. This time around, you've got three shows very close to each other. I don't see a lot from Hamilton, St. Catharines or upstate NY coming to Toronto like they did in '06. They'll most likely go to the Hamilton show.

We'll see, though I'm still fairly optimistic. (Truth be told, out of my own selfishness I'm hoping that sales are a little slow so I can maybe snag a ticket to Hamilton and London later when I have some money, but hey, I wish the band success as well).

Cheers,

Andrew

Okay, am I the only one who is still slightly skeptical about these shows?? I know it's pretty much official, but still, I tend to not buy into anything GNR related until I hear it directly from Axl, and of course, he's said nothing.The website hasn't been updated.Ugh.Has anybody had any confirmation from Bumble,Dizzy, Eric, Jarmo ... Anyone?? And yes, I know Ticketmaster has all of these dates listed, but then again, I still have 4 ununsed Gnr concert tickets from Ipay One Center '2006.And who could forget Doug Goldstein booking a tour Axl wasn't even aware of.Man, it's tough being a Guns fan.

Okay, am I the only one who is still slightly skeptical about these shows?? I know it's pretty much official, but still, I tend to not buy into anything GNR related until I hear it directly from Axl, and of course, he's said nothing.The website hasn't been updated.Ugh.Has anybody had any confirmation from Bumble,Dizzy, Eric, Jarmo ... Anyone?? And yes, I know Ticketmaster has all of these dates listed, but then again, I still have 4 ununsed Gnr concert tickets from Ipay One Center '2006.And who could forget Doug Goldstein booking a tour Axl wasn't even aware of.Man, it's tough being a Guns fan.

I hear what you're saying, but considering every news organization in the country has reported about the Canadian tour, it would be a little silly if GNR just didn't bother to shoot down a rumor of such magnitude. Remember it was only a day or two that we heard through official sources (Beta) that the India show was bogus.

There was something reported that more dates were being finalized and when everything was done there would be something official from the band.

And the show cancellations of 2002 and 2006 were quickly posted by promoters and ticket agencies. I seriously doubt ticketmaster is going to sell tickets for something that isn't contractually binding.

UPDATE: According to this article (http://www.livedaily.com/news/20444.html), there was a press release issued by the band:

"The Canadian shows are part of the "Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy World Tour," according to a press release issued by the band."

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

I hear what you're saying, but considering every news organization in the country has reported about the Canadian tour, it would be a little silly if GNR just didn't bother to shoot down a rumor of such magnitude. Remember it was only a day or two that we heard through official sources (Beta) that the India show was bogus.

There was something reported that more dates were being finalized and when everything was done there would be something official from the band.

And the show cancellations of 2002 and 2006 were quickly posted by promoters and ticket agencies. I seriously doubt ticketmaster is going to sell tickets for something that isn't contractually binding.

UPDATE: According to this article (http://www.livedaily...news/20444.html), there was a press release issued by the band:

"The Canadian shows are part of the "Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy World Tour," according to a press release issued by the band."

Cheers,

Andrew

Actually, it was Rolling Stone who first got the official press release: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/10/19/guns-n-roses-bringing-chinese-democracy-tour-to-canada/

Rolling Stone has received an official press release that proclaims the dates are part of “Guns n’ Roses Chinese Democracy World Tour” and can now confirm the dates are official.