DJ Ashba: Unrecorded Axl's Songs Could 'Blow People's Minds'

Ana_1991

..could, but probably won't.

Reminds me of the way Axl once spoke - something about The Blues and Madagascar being b-sides, implying the rest of the album would be so much better. Reality was, The Blues and Madagascar were as good as the album got.

like how he calls them axls songs

why call the band gnr then?

Well, since it's Axl and a piano, they are his songs. If you were in a band and your guitar player wrote some shit on his own time that you had no input on, or even played anything for, would you call them your songs?

this kind of stuff depresses me, because I was always under the impression that if let's say Axl disappeared tomorrow we would get a lot of the Axl unreleased material either in leak form or in formal album releases. However, if these unrecorded songs are as great as Ashba thinks then it's just sad we may never hear it :(

Edited by amacfantasy

That's it, I am personally going on a mission to hold Axl, at gunpoint, in the studio until we have 7 new albums.

Who wants to block Beta for me? She scares me.

A beta blocker, if you will...

I knew someone would say that :P

I think we should put this interview in the massive pile of "band members talking about the album coming out" interviews.

It sounds like he's taking on the job of co-producer.

That would be nice... I just hope he won't get fired.

Axl should sell him 50% of the Gn'R brand. So most people could stop whining "it's not a band".

Haha Axl would want more money than DJ would make in his whole career for half the brandname...

It sounds like he's taking on the job of co-producer.

That would be nice... I just hope he won't get fired.

Axl should sell him 50% of the Gn'R brand. So most people could stop whining "it's not a band".

He survived touring with them, so they all managed to get to know each other over the past couple of years, and can play just about anything. No one's telling any of them not to work on other projects.

November Rain was created the same way.. Axl would play his piano for years on end, working on the same song, before actually releasing it.

The bad news is we might never hear it.

The good news is it might actually be very good when released.

I just hope they don't overdo it like CD. Songs like Street Of Dreams will probably sound amazing with Axl just playing his piano and singing.

November Rain was created the same way.. Axl would play his piano for years on end, working on the same song, before actually releasing it.

The bad news is we might never hear it.

The good news is it might actually be very good when released.

I just hope they don't overdo it like CD. Songs like Street Of Dreams will probably sound amazing with Axl just playing his piano and singing.

That makes it sound like he was doing some Phil Spector shit of playing the same note and recording it 10,000 times. It's just a song he'd go back to and keep working at it because it meant something to him and wanted to get it right. When that song & video came out, it was the biggest song of the year.

I don't think the expectations by the overall fanbase are as high for new music from GNR. That's why it's not going to take as long for new music to come out. I think part of why Ashba was brought in was because of what he did for Nikki, co-producing, co-writing, and that's what Axl needs. Someone from within the band to go through this stuff, not some outside producer. The band has to play the songs, and hiring a name producer is an expensive decision to make.

Beta knows the ropes to line up tour dates that they don't need a McGhee or an Azoff. Just make the agreements with the local promoters on who gets what.

All they're good for is getting the most money as possible from local promoters and taking a bunch of money for themselves. I mean, who's booking Prince's concerts? He prob. has one or two people working for him and just does a run of shows in each city. Makes his announcements while he's on the road. I think it would be cool if GNR stayed in a city for a couple of weeks and did a bunch of shows. The people come to you and will fly to go see you. People are flying to RIR to see GNR. For a new band, you want to play every small town and big city, but for an established band? Just do a run of shows. People would also be more likely to buy multiple tickets. Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen did the same thing, and it worked. They don't have any big entourage, just a manager that lines it up for them, and keep the shows moderately priced. They don't do fan experience packages,but hand out front row tix to people in the nosebleeds. In Billy's case, they look for the cute girls (as mentioned in the documentary). Someone like U2 or Roger Waters might need the bigger tour management because they're doing more than showing up to play music.

I do think at some point, GNR should put out some of the alternate mixes from Chinese Democracy. It would be an interesting debate, comparing different versions, maybe some of them people would like more than what wound up on there.

Axl needs to stop this perfection thing. It's holding him back and it's hard to believe he's still overly meticulous at his age and with such a small output you'd thing he'd want to move on. Who cares if it's not perfect? Perfect is boring. Just release the damn thing. The fans are not that picky. They're desperate for anything tinkered on! Who is Axl trying to please? Clearly that thing he was 'tinkering on ' was great if it got such a strong reaction from Ashba.

Frustrated Fan! haha