Rhiad......Scraped

Apollo

So these are the two songs that are universally unliked by people in this forum.

Scraped is my least favorite song, so I understand the dislike.

But how come you people don't like Rhiad? It has a catchy chorus, cool vocals, and to me, sounds like it is a natural progression of rock songs from Illusions to now.

It isn't the techno thing like shacklers, it isn't pop rock like Better and IRS. Yes, the intro is lame.

In terms of a rock song when introducing non-GnR-die-hard friends to cd, I would always play them Better and Rhiad before Chinese, irs, shacklers or scraped.

Besides saying "it sucks".....why do so many of you hate it?

So these are the two songs that are universally unliked by people in this forum.

But how come you people don't like Rhiad? It has a catchy chorus, cool vocals, and to me, sounds like it is a natural progression of rock songs from Illusions to now.

It isn't the techno thing like shacklers, it isn't pop rock like Better and IRS. Yes, the intro is lame.

In terms of a rock song when introducing non-GnR-die-hard friends to cd, I would always play them Better and Rhiad before Chinese, irs, shacklers or scraped.

I rather like Scraped. I don't think there's anything "universally unliked" by fans, unless maybe My World ;)

See CD is very much a throwback - an album with a lot of different styles. The Illusions were like that as well. AFD, not so much, Lies, well it had the old Live Like a Suicide and the Acoustic side so it was kind of. It's all a rather natural progression but the one thing is - music went the opposite way. Most modern bands just protool the shit out of a wall of sound and every song sounds the same.

I saw Rise Against recently (live). Same same same same oooh slow song same same same thatonehitsong same. Bland. as. fuck.

So... yeah I'm sure some people like song a more than song b but I'm sure each tune has its fans. I don't like Rhiad much. It's just the ahhh, aww ahh stuff - didn't do it for me. Yet I like the intro to Scraped. I like the chorus.

Couldn't agree more, I love Rhiad. The solo is pretty forgettable but all the other guitar work is great and Axl brings that old school rasp back in the chorus, gives me fuckin goosebumps.

Scraped...? yeah that song blows it pretty hard, literally does nothing for me :tongue2:

Rhiad's alright. Certainly was nice to get to hear the studio version, since we only had a poor live version to go on for a long time. It's just an underwhelming song overall, sort of like a B-side or album filler.

I do like Scraped a lot though. Very cool song.

I like both but I REALLY want to hear Buckets solo on Rhiad. I think both Rhiad and Shacklers are on the top of my "wanna hear Bucket's version" list. Not that Ron ruined it or anything but I just wanna hear the original versions and see how good they were.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

It’s pointless debating the quality of songs as various songs appeal. Different people will uphold different positions and each are equally valid.

I like them both just fine. Not my favorites on the album but not my least favorites. Plus I had the pleasure of seeing them do Riad live in 02 here in Detroit.

I love Riad, its my favorite song. E guitar riffs, the chorus, Robin's lead following Axl on the chorus, the BBF solo and the ending with Bucket's killswitch - everything is awesome on this song, but Brain's drums in the begining are out of this world. Such a kick-ass track.

I love Scraped too, really love the solos and the heavy guitar+bass slide in the chorus (missing in the live version).

I like both but I REALLY want to hear Buckets solo on Rhiad. I think both Rhiad and Shacklers are on the top of my "wanna hear Bucket's version" list. Not that Ron ruined it or anything but I just wanna hear the original versions and see how good they were.

I assume you meant Scraped instead of Riad, because we do have a version of Riad with Robin and Bucket playing the main solo.

I like em both. I dont like the, " dont you try and stop us now" lyric, though.

The rest of the scraped lyrics, to me, give us an insight to Axls ups n downs, which is cool.

Riad is a kick ass song though, i think.

I would pick IRS and ITW before these two, for somgs i dont care for.

I'm just gonna steal your response and mix it up. I would take Scraped and IRS over Rhiad and ITW.

I love Riad, its my favorite song. E guitar riffs, the chorus, Robin's lead following Axl on the chorus, the BBF solo and the ending with Bucket's killswitch - everything is awesome on this song, but Brain's drums in the begining are out of this world. Such a kick-ass track.

I love Scraped too, really love the solos and the heavy guitar+bass slide in the chorus (missing in the live version).

I assume you meant Scraped instead of Riad, because we do have a version of Riad with Robin and Bucket playing the main solo.

Really? I've never heard it!! Is it on youtube?

I was thinking about all the material recorded during the CD sessions and the whole saving the big guns bit. WHAT IF, CD was like an explanation if you will, of all Axl wanted to get off his chest. These songs seem very personall lyric wise. It could he Axls way of communicating to his fans, lost lovers and friends, and getting things off his chest. Cleaning his slate emotionaly and clearing the air , in a very artistic way..Axls great statement to the world of were he currently stands. So...... The next records we will get will be more detatched. Songs for the sake of songs. Angry songs, catchy songs, rockers, but more emotionally detatched perhaps. Mabey thats how the songs were picked and other songs were saved. Not for how good or bad they are, but what Axl wanted to say with his comeback? Just a theory....

I was thinking about all the material recorded during the CD sessions and the whole saving the big guns bit. WHAT IF, CD was like an explanation if you will, of all Axl wanted to get off his chest. These songs seem very personall lyric wise. It could he Axls way of communicating to his fans, lost lovers and friends, and getting things off his chest. Cleaning his slate emotionaly and clearing the air , in a very artistic way..Axls great statement to the world of were he currently stands. So...... The next records we will get will be more detatched. Songs for the sake of songs. Angry songs, catchy songs, rockers, but more emotionally detatched perhaps. Mabey thats how the songs were picked and other songs were saved. Not for how good or bad they are, but what Axl wanted to say with his comeback? Just a theory....

That's an interesting theory, it definitely makes sense when you think about it.

aaaghhh Riad is such an awesome song. I love it because it's so like, "different" and weird and unorthodox and strange and neon colored, yet it's really listenable. Like, if the song were a living design of something, it would be a bag of those pop-rocks candy things haha. Just very out-there and awesome. Scraped is great too for similar reasons, but it's not AS whacky and experimental as Riad. Both awesome songs.

I always liked Riad, and I had a feeling it was gonna be awesome on the album before I heard the studio version.

The solos in the demo sucked imo, and I love Bucket and Robin. Bucket's outro on the studio cut is awesome, but Ron did a better job then Bucket in the main solo in comparison to the demo.

Scraped I never liked. There are some cool ideas there and the riffs and some of the lyrics are nice but it's just doesn't come together for me as a song.

It's the only song on the album I don't like.

I always thought that a reworked Oh My God should have replaced it on the album and just because the reception for it as a soundtrack was poor, Axl didn't include it on Chinese Democracy.

Scraped is not a bad song, I just think some things like the intro vocal bit and solos could have been done better. Oh My God is superior in almost every way to me.

Edited by Rovim