If there's no new album in 2012...

Nick85

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is harder and harder to defend GnR against the naysayers who call then a cover band.

It is never hard to argue against someone in error, you just point out where they are wrong, and in this case that would be to inform that the band plays songs off CD in every concert, hence plays songs that the current lineup, Axl, Dizzy, Chris, Richard, Bumbles, Tommy and Frank helped to write and create, and are therefore not a cover band.

Their two lead guitar players are actually participating in a cover band when you think about it. Aside from occasionally playing Shackler's Revenge, they don't play a single guitar solo they wrote and contributed to on a song at all the recent shows. For the most part, literally for every song, Bumble covers Bucket and Slash, and Ashba covers Finck and Slash. And let's not forget Bumble's participation to CD weren't really game changing really. He arrived long after the songs were pretty well established based on the leaked demos. Weren't most drums recorded by Brain on CD? Again, think Franks participation was pretty minor too in the grand scheme of things.

No, they are not "participating in a cover band" when the band with most of the current lineup, released a new record as recently as 2008. A cover band is a band that plays songs from other bands. Only if the current band hadn't released new music and played that music regularly on the shows, and the members didn't play extensive solos during the shows, would I agree that the band could be considered a cover band.

And let's be real. Most people are going to the shows to hear the hits with Axl actually singing them. Is it really an argument that this point? The nu band are putting asses in the seat based on a completely other band's contributions.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this, so why bring it up?

They have yet to prove they can stand on their own two feet within their own material.

No, they do that every time they play music from CD. The fact that the audience may not cheer as much for those songs compared to the classic material, doesn't mean that the musicians can't "stand on their own two feet", it just means that the new songs aren't as popular as the old songs.

And now, it just seems like Axl's not even trying to push it forward anymore. He's milking the nostalgic cow dry now.

Dry already? Nah, he could probably tour the back catalogoue of Guns N' Roses for many years as long as the shows are as spectacular as they are today.

And that, as a result, just makes fans and the general public miss the old band more instead of making them more accepting of the nu band. If this is it, and it's not making any progress in terms of new material, how is this anymore of a cash grab than a reunion?

It is less of a cash grab because now he is surrounded by guys he enjoys playing with, because now he is surrounded by guys he recently released new music with, and because now he is surrounded by guys he (supposedly) wants to create new music with. That's why.

I was saying, currently, (again, with the exception of when they randomly bring Shackler's out) Bumble and Ashba spend entire shows playing lead guitar parts they had nothing to do with. And Bumble's and Frank's contributions to CD were pretty minimal when you look at the bigger picture. DJ hasn't done squat yet.

To me, when 80% of your show is full of covers, and more people are attending the shows to see you play covers instead of your own material, it's mainly a nostalgic cover act. The nu band is currently completely riding on the success of the old band with no current signs of moving the "gnr name" any further.

As for the "standing on their own two feet", this is the general outlook of the nu band within the majority of the public:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5xAB2hGF_M

It's kinda sad when you think about Axl's initial plans for the nu lineup. By now, people should have more of a desire to see the nu band for the nu material, and not just the classics they had nothing to do with.

Bottom line; if Axl doesn't do something new soon, the nostalgic tours will wear thin, attendance will drop, people will want the old band back even more, and Axl will have little to show for the past 17 years or so...

Edited by BS11290

It is harder and harder to defend GnR against the naysayers who call then a cover band.

It is never hard to argue against someone in error, you just point out where they are wrong, and in this case that would be to inform that the band plays songs off CD in every concert, hence plays songs that the current lineup, Axl, Dizzy, Chris, Richard, Bumbles, Tommy and Frank helped to write and create, and are therefore not a cover band.

Their two lead guitar players are actually participating in a cover band when you think about it. Aside from occasionally playing Shackler's Revenge, they don't play a single guitar solo they wrote and contributed to on a song at all the recent shows. For the most part, literally for every song, Biumble covers Bucket and Slash, and Ashba covers Finck and Slash. And let's not forget Bumble's participation to CD weren't really game changing really. He arrived long after the songs were pretty well established based on the leaked demos. Weren't most drums recorded by Brain on CD? Again, think Franks participation was pretty minor too in the grand scheme of things.

No, they are not "participating in a cover band" when the band with most of the current lineup, released a new record as recently as 2008. A cover band is a band that plays songs from other bands. Only if the current band hadn't released new music and played that music regularly on the shows, and the members didn't play extensive solos during the shows, would I agree that the band could be considered a cover band.

And let's be real. Most people are going to the shows to hear the hits with Axl actually singing them. Is it really an argument that this point? The nu band are putting asses in the seat based on a completely other band's contributions.

They have yet to prove they can stand on their own two feet within their own material.

No, they do that every time they play music from CD. The fact that the audience may not cheer as much for those songs compared to the classic material, doesn't mean that the musicians can't "stand on their own two feet", it just means that the new songs aren't as popular as the old songs.

And now, it just seems like Axl's not even trying to push it forward anymore. He's milking the nostalgic cow dry now.

Dry already? Nah, he could probably tour the back catalogoue of Guns N' Roses for many years as long as the shows are as spectacular as they are today.

And that, as a result, just makes fans and the general public miss the old band more instead of making them more accepting of the nu band. If this is it, and it's not making any progress in terms of new material, how is this anymore of a cash grab than a reunion?

It is less of a cash grab because now he is surrounded by guys he enjoys playing with, because now he is surrounded by guys he recently released new music with, and because now he is surrounded by guys he (supposedly) wants to create new music with. That's why.

I was saying, currently, (again, with the exception of when they randomly bring Shackler's out) Bumble and Ashba spend entire shows playing lead guitar parts they had nothing to do with. And Bumble's and Frank's contributions to CD were pretty minimal when you look at the bigger picture. DJ hasn't done squat yet.

To me, when 80% of your show is full of covers, and more people are attending the shows to see you play covers instead of your own material, it's mainly a nostalgic cover act. The nu band is currently completely riding on the success of the old band with no current signs of moving the "gnr name" any further.

As for the "standing on their own two feet", this is the general outlook of the nu band within the majority of the public:

It's kinda sad when you think about Axl's initial plans for the nu lineup. By now, people should have more of a desire to see the nu band for the nu material, and not just the classics they had nothing to do with.

Bottom line; if Axl doesn't do something new soon, the nostalgic tours will wear thin, attendance will drop, people will want the old band back even more, and Axl will have little to show for the past 17 years or so...

That is your dreary opinion,not fact no matter how many times you spew it out of your hole.

How are you so privileged to know what his original intentions were?

Bottom line; You have no fucking idea about the internal operations of GNR,you are simply a gloomy doomsayer spreading your negativity around like goatshit.

GNR is on tour,more dates being added,the live streams are operational,the web site has been upgraded,and the band is playing 3 hour shows.

I know misery loves company,you have no difficulties finding the negative,but you are overlooking the positive,makes you seem a bit biased.

Their two lead guitar players are actually participating in a cover band when you think about it. Aside from occasionally playing Shackler's Revenge, they don't play a single guitar solo they wrote and contributed to on a song at all the recent shows. For the most part, literally for every song, Biumble covers Bucket and Slash, and Ashba covers Finck and Slash. And let's not forget Bumble's participation to CD weren't really game changing really. He arrived long after the songs were pretty well established based on the leaked demos. Weren't most drums recorded by Brain on CD? Again, think Franks participation was pretty minor too in the grand scheme of things.

That is your dreary opinion,not fact no matter how many times you spew it out of your hole.

How are you so privileged to know what his original intentions were?

Bottom line; You have no fucking idea about the internal operations of GNR,you are simply a gloomy doomsayer spreading your negativity around like goatshit.

GNR is on tour,more dates being added,the live streams are operational,the web site has been upgraded,and the band is playing 3 hour shows.

I know misery loves company,you have no difficulties finding the negative,but you are overlooking the positive,makes you seem a bit biased.

It's more like opinions based around strings of fact. It's true NOBODY here knows if things are running smoothly internally, but actions speak louder than words...

How do I know that was his plan was? He left a paper trail of ideas through interviews. He wanted to push the name forward, keep it alive, have a trilogy of albums, and on and on. Things just didn't go down like that, and seem more standstill(ish) to me.

As for your last point, that's cool and all. Really it is. But it's not totally effective unless Axl progresses forward, sooner rather than later. People will only will buy tickets to the same show over and over again only so many times before attendance and interest drops significantly.

IMO DJ has no interest in the material Axl has leftover from the CD sessions. I think he wants to write new songs that sound like AFD. Axl on the other hand most likely wants to release the songs from the CD sessions next (with slight additions by DJ and/or Frank). I foresee this being a problem because DJ is going to be pulling for new recordings which will cause a delay and make Axl rethink everything when, reall,y Axl needs to think back to '93 and how fast they were able to churn out TSI since most of the recordings were finished and all that was necessary was overdubs by the new guitarist (Gilby Clarke). I realize it was covers but the album was basically finished except for replacing the guitarists parts...

..........because as we have learned from the last go round - the top priority when releasing an album is making sure whoever is in the band at the time is represented...regardless of how much it delays the actual release.

DJ knows Axl's priorities is with the CD sessions, he is a fool to think Axl will take his new songs over the ones he spent years on.

While I'm looking forward to seeing what Axl & DJ can write together, I do think the rest of the CD session music should be put out first. It would be nice if they released the rest of the CD sessions as Chinese Democracy II, and then recorded a completely separate album with the current lineup. This would ensure that both albums would flow nicely and represent their respective eras & players well.

Edited by sofine11

I honestly think people are divorced from reality when they think attendance will "drop" unless Axl releases new music and "pushes forward" with his "vision". Attendance largely is what it is b/c of the classics (and I love CD and the current line-up)... The reality is EVERY year millions of kids turn 15/16/17 and many of them download their copies of "Appetite" and "Greatest Hits" and would likely welcome the opportunity to see GN'R in any incarnation play those songs. Additionally, the "nostalgia" factor is HUGE business too with folks my age (30-45) and will continue to be. Lastly, Guns is still quite a big name in Europe and Latin America where the alternative scene, hip hop, etc. never made quite the same inroads they did here.

Anyway- Axl/GN'R could continue to play the classics on into oblivion and still have a respectable career IMHO. That's a reflection of just how significant and universally loved some of Guns' bigger hits are...

the statement/ question of

" if a new album doesn't come out at the end of "20XX" has been said and asked every year since 2001.

youll still be here waiting even if it doesn't come out.

I remember how we relied on MTV,and magazine articles to catch up with GNR

I've realized over the past few years, as the Internet,Facebook and Twitter have become more of a commonplace technology to use for better or worse.

There are literally thousands of whiny ass bitches out there that use said technology to run for the mayor of bitchville.

You got a mixture of kids, and A majority of these people are otherwise responsible college students or even adults with kids, mortgages, full time jobs and school loans, but they are so caught up in minuscule and trite bullshit that they don't see themselves as whining when in fact, that's all they're doing

This is a positive year for GNR, tour,live streams,Utubes,reworked website yada,yada.

I cannot for the life of me understand or empathize with their never-ending, ongoing,complaints about every aspect of what GNR does,or how "they aren't going to be fans anymore unless this or that happens."

This is either an addiction to bitching,or an effort to make everyone as miserable as they seem to be

Don't really care which, I'm just beyond frustrated with these people.

So while they are having coniption fits,gnashing teeth over things that don't suit their demands,

and being negative buzzkills,in their neverending circlejerk of bullshit,

I'm going to enjoy this year,attend more concerts,and look at the positives.

*Nowhere near sober rt now

Edited by sailaway

What you fail to understand is that when a BAND is playing songs written by that same BAND (albeit another lineup), they are not covers. The only cover songs GN'R plays are Live and Let Die, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff (+). The rest are per definition Guns N' Roses songs.

Then you can, as you do, go into that messy argumentation about most of the band members weren't part of writing most of the songs being played, and you are of course right about that, but it still doesn't make the BAND a cover band.

The public perception has nothing to do with whether someone is standing on his own two feet. It is fully possible to absolutely stand firmly on your own two feet without the public acknowledging that.

If you honestly believed today's GN'R would be able to make music that is more popular than the classic songs, then you were naive. Sorry to inform you that you have been fantasizing. It will probably never happen. The majority of the future setlists will with high probability always consist of songs from AFD, Lies and UYI. It's the blessing and the curse of having a monumental back catalogue.

Rubbish. The current band is wildly acknowledged for their great shows. If they continue to bring it, people will continue to pay for the great entertainment their live shows are.

I don't think Dj joined to just tour, he seems too ambitious/creative to do that. the label must look at Dj as a positive.

Axl may not like his ideas but he is too nice to say something, a different Axl than we are use to

thats possible but then I can see Dj going his own way. Seeing as he's been so vocal/confident...you can see why I'm saying. I'm sure he could handle it. I'm going with the Axl loyalty thing. it will be interesting to see what happens.

the statement/ question of

" if a new album doesn't come out at the end of "20XX" has been said and asked every year since 2001.

youll still be here waiting even if it doesn't come out.

I remember how we relied on MTV,and magazine articles to catch up with GNR

I've realized over the past few years, as the Internet,Facebook and Twitter have become more of a commonplace technology to use for better or worse.

There are literally thousands of whiny ass bitches out there that use said technology to run for the mayor of bitchville.

You got a mixture of kids, and A majority of these people are otherwise responsible college students or even adults with kids, mortgages, full time jobs and school loans, but they are so caught up in minuscule and trite bullshit that they don't see themselves as whining when in fact, that's all they're doing

This is a positive year for GNR, tour,live streams,Utubes,reworked website yada,yada.

I cannot for the life of me understand or empathize with their never-ending, ongoing,complaints about every aspect of what GNR does,or how "they aren't going to be fans anymore unless this or that happens."

This is either an addiction to bitching,or an effort to make everyone as miserable as they seem to be

Don't really care which, I'm just beyond frustrated with these people.

So while they are having coniption fits,gnashing teeth over things that don't suit their demands,

and being negative buzzkills,in their neverending circlejerk of bullshit,

I'm going to enjoy this year,attend more concerts,and look at the positives.

*Nowhere near sober rt now

Here's how to understand it:

We, as fans, gave him a god damn 15 year free pass!! A pass in which he could tinker with his fucking songs for years on end while we supported him by seeing his shows, buying live era, greatest hits, vinyl, t-shirts, etc all in the hopes that one day we would get to hear it all. Instead he finally released some of the music (most of it which had already leaked) and he is now nearing year 4 of his second free pass. I, for one, am tired of it. He has made a fool out of me again when everyone was saying "you're an idiot for holding out for that guy" I would be saying "you just wait - when the first one comes they'll keep coming, hits, videos, albums, award shows--- he'll take over the world again." Instead the Redheaded recluse once again disappeared from the media, let his album die, and gave it 0 promotion (even at the shows he never talks about the album, the songs, or anything to do with it).

So what I can't understand is why the REST of you are so satisfied and content to just have another tour!

Here's how to understand it:

We, as fans, gave him a god damn 15 year free pass!! A pass in which he could tinker with his fucking songs for years on end while we supported him by seeing his shows, buying live era, greatest hits, vinyl, t-shirts, etc all in the hopes that one day we would get to hear it all. Instead he finally released some of the music (most of it which had already leaked) and he is now nearing year 4 of his second free pass. I, for one, am tired of it. He has made a fool out of me again when everyone was saying "you're an idiot for holding out for that guy" I would be saying "you just wait - when the first one comes they'll keep coming, hits, videos, albums, award shows--- he'll take over the world again." Instead the Redheaded recluse once again disappeared from the media, let his album die, and gave it 0 promotion (even at the shows he never talks about the album, the songs, or anything to do with it).

So what I can't understand is why the REST of you are so satisfied and content to just have another tour!

Axl didn't make a fool out of you, YOU made a fool out of yourself for having all those silly expectations.

I am satisfied and content (although I would prefer work on new music) because when it comes to GN'R any activity is fantastic and unexpected.

There will be NO new album this year. They are touring, if I use slash as an example, he hasn't tour since last july, and his album isn't due till may? That gives you an indication of recording and albums length.

GNR are touring this summer. So, at the earliest it will be next year.

What you fail to understand is that when a BAND is playing songs written by that same BAND (albeit another lineup), they are not covers. The only cover songs GN'R plays are Live and Let Die, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff (+). The rest are per definition Guns N' Roses songs.

Then you can, as you do, go into that messy argumentation about most of the band members weren't part of writing most of the songs being played, and you are of course right about that, but it still doesn't make the BAND a cover band.

The public perception has nothing to do with whether someone is standing on his own two feet. It is fully possible to absolutely stand firmly on your own two feet without the public acknowledging that.

If you honestly believed today's GN'R would be able to make music that is more popular than the classic songs, then you were naive. Sorry to inform you that you have been fantasizing. It will probably never happen. The majority of the future setlists will with high probability always consist of songs from AFD, Lies and UYI. It's the blessing and the curse of having a monumental back catalogue.

Rubbish. The current band is wildly acknowledged for their great shows. If they continue to bring it, people will continue to pay for the great entertainment their live shows are.

I'll try and be more clear.

Listen, I fully understand that this is legally and therefore officially GNR, but in essence, to the majority of the public, it's not. It's the Axl Rose Show, which in itself is certainly not a bad show to see anyways. I find some CD stuff pretty good, but I don't look at it as GNR. I guess it comes down to that whole name argument, which is something I don't wanna go too off topic about. Not the place or time. Therefore, the fact that the majority of their set lists consists of songs the current band had nothing to do with, and the main bait for the people in the attendance, it makes them come off as an glorified cover band. I know I'm coming off a bit...blunt here, but I'm just trying to explain why people with different perspectives see it like that. Take a look off the safe zones on gnr forums, and you'll see for yourself.

It's not so much I believed the songs would be more popular than the classics. Just, well...popular in general. I was just hoping after 14 years in the making, something significant would of come out of it. Just something that would've been a rock radio hit, or something most people in the crowd know pretty well, and look forward to seeing it in the set list. With CD, for whatever reason you want to cite, that didn't happen. I understand them having to play significant stuff from yesteryear, but by now, you'd think they'd at least be striving for a more equal balance of old and new.

As for your last point, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. If Axl doesn't put out anything new, at all, and keeps touring same ol', same ol'; attendance is probably gonna diminish, and the reunion fanatics will grow. And I still think the sooner, the better at this point. Just my opinion.

Edited by BS11290

Listen, I fully understand that this is legally and therefore officially GNR, but in essence, to the majority of the public, it's not. It's the Axl Rose Show, which in itself is certainly not a bad show to see anyways. I find some CD stuff pretty good, but I don't look at it as GNR. I guess it comes down to that whole name argument, which is something I don't wanna go too off topic about. Not the place or time. Therefore, the fact that the majority of their set lists consists of songs the current band had nothing to do with, and the main bait for the people in the attendance, it makes them come off as an glorified cover band. I know I'm coming off a bit...blunt here, but I'm just trying to explain why people with different perspectives see it like that. Take a look off the safe zones on gnr forums, and you'll see for yourself.

I am fully aware that many people don't consider Guns N' Roses as good as the old version of the band, and are so hung up with Guns N' Roses having a specific sound and specific members that they come to some mental blockage when thinking of the current band as Guns N' Roses. This has been very well documented and is nothing new. But when they refer to Guns N' Roses being a "cover band" when they actually play their own songs which members of the current band to varying degrees has been part of writing and recording, then I like to point out why that is wrong.

It's not so much I believed the songs would be more popular than the classics. Just, well...popular in general. I was just hoping after 14 years in the making, something significant would of come out of it. Just something that would've been a rock radio hit, or something most people in the crowd know pretty well, and look forward to seeing it in the set list. With CD, for whatever reason you want to cite, that didn't happen. I understand them having to play significant stuff from yesteryear, but by now, you'd think they'd at least be striving for a more equal balance of old and new.

There are a few good songs on CD ('Better' included) which I believe today's audience will come to love as much as many of the classics, but this just takes a lot of time and might not ever happen when the audience consists of older guys (30+) who are only there for the nostalgia. The way I see it, most of CD does not hold up to the hits and should not be included in the sets any more. Hopefully if the band gets to release more new music they will accumulate enough good songs to become permanent set list songs, and the whole setlists will gradually consist of more and more new songs. But excluding strong and popular songs for weak and unpopular songs, is just not viable.

As for your last point, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. If Axl doesn't put out anything new, at all, and keeps touring same ol', same ol'; attendance is probably gonna diminish, and the reunion fanatics will grow. And I still think the sooner, the better at this point. Just my opinion.

There are so many bands that tour old material with success. With GN'R's back catalogue and the great live band they have now, I don't see why people should stop coming to the shows. They will never be huge again, like in the 90's, but attract enough people to keep it going, like so many other bands. And as long as the current band totally out-performs older lineups and as the years go on, the number of people who wants a reunion will eventually diminish.