House Of Blues, West Hollywood, Califórnia, USA

Hatchepsut

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything, the "DJ is better than..." is not personal preference. In terms of playing, he's clearly not better than any guitarist GN'R has ever had. MAYBE Izzy, but we don't know. Certainly none of the leads. He seems like a great guy, but being a great guy isn't what makes a guitarist a great guitarist or one of the best. I'm hoping he adds a lot more to songwriting.

It really doesn't matter that much, though. DJ and everybody knows that. It doesn't mean most people like him any less.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

maybe Axl got enough from Bucket. and Bucket is too creative to be on a never-ending tour of the world. Shackler's, Scraped, Sorry, TWAT are great, hopefully there's more Bucket on CD II.

I doubt Axl wanted him to leave, but I doubt he wants him back unless there's some unfinished recording. He left by choice, and I don't remember if his bailing resulted in cancelled gigs, but if it did, I doubt we'll see him do anything more than a guest appearance, and more likely as a studio musician. Same thing with Izzy - he could wind up writing new songs with the guys, but outside of a guest appearance, isn't interested in making the commitment. I think Duff is the only one who could go back into GnR where the CD songs wouldn't be an issue for him, but it would have to be where Tommy was thinking about leaving... and wouldn't be all that shocked.

It's a new era in a way. Now Dj has to deliver his Shacklers etc Frank n Ron will bring something new.

I thought Dead Flowers sounded fucking killer at the end. Kinda expected Axl to sing like the old days, with the "oh yeah" in between the lyrics on the chorus, haha.

All the Robin praise in this thread is fine. BUT all the DJ bashing and starting to compare him with Robin, is just so backwards striving, living in the past.

I'sure that you annoying idiots are the same idiots who missed Slash up until just recently. You just gotta hate what's in the band and love what was in the band.

Please don't litter this thread with that bullshit.

I'm not a musician but the amount of times I heard Robin Fuck mess up songs on stage are endless, so please...

I rarely hear DJ mess up any riffs.

Ashba is who he is and was so before joining Guns (fact).

Just enjoy what's there.

I've been reading this more often now. Strangely, always lacking facts.

First, if you "rarely hear DJ mess up any riffs" you clearly didn't watch/listen that many shows. I've seen him fucking things up as much, if not more, than Robin. So yeah, what you said is just not true at all.

Second, I don't think the people who missed Slash is the same people who praises Robin, save for a couple of users here. At least the ones I've seen here supporting Robin were the same ones who always liked him since the old days. I've been around for a long time to know that because I was one of the people trying to defend Robin back in 2001 to 2007.

Some BS you just pulled out of your ass there. My memory tells me this, it's not like I count the number of fuck ups. People now glorify what they didn't even used to like. Sorry for you not sorry for me, for living in the past with your distorted memories.

No wonder the band play it safe nowadays. The amount of bullshit about a current guitarrst coming in this thread because they bring up an old guitarrist.

THIS IS THE EXACT REASON TO WHY THERE WILL BE NO PERFORMANCE AT THE HALL OF FAME - CAUSE OF THESE IDIOTS.

3 guitar players covering Slash? What about Izzy (and Gilby)?

im not saying that myself but the majority of people who still live in 1991 bring this comment up many times

There are people that think the guitar work on all the pre Chinese albums was all done by Slash? I think most of us know that Slash played lead, and Izzy/Gilby played rhythm, and Slash even has rhythm parts on a lot of songs too, I think.

Like pretty much any rock band with more than two guitarists, it is true that there are moments where one guitarist (usually Richard unfortunately) is not doing too much, but it also provides a situation where the various parts of the songs can be played flawlessly without the usual concern of a two guitar lineup: the lead guitarist having to switch effortlessly between lead and rhythm duties.

I have to say, I was just a tad disappointed in the rendition of Mama Kin. Maybe it was just the video, or the fact that it seemed to be totally spur of the moment, but it just didn't feel very ballsy to me. I figured the way this band plays the AC/DC covers Mama Kin would've been really aggressive, but it felt very laid back :shrugs:

That being said, it'd sound killer if they could bring the energy up a bit.

My take on this situation is this, back in 2002 I thought that Robin not only screwed up the old songs but looked like he belonged to NIN (no shit right?). Come 2006 he had a better look, and his playing was much better, but he was still pretty sloppy. Then he left and DJ came aboard. Not only can he play the songs, he looks the fucking part as well.

DJ's pieces of music during the solo part of the shows are 10 times better than the horrible noises Robin ever made. That shit was embarrassing. In a whole this band gels better together, and they look happy. The only good thing to come from Robin are the songs he had a hand in writing. Those live performances were terribly though.

That's for sure. WTF were the Robin solos? :crazy:

If you mean his 2002 and that Finlandia solos from 2006, I kinda agree that it was weird. But since the Inland Invasion, he instead put out great solos with great (and tasteful) backing melody with Frank and Dizzy. Of course its just my opinion, but those were million times better than the cheese Top Gun-alike songs Ashba plays.

And about what F*ck Fear said: DJ CAN'T play the songs. He can't play Robin's songs without shortcuts. Even Slash songs he takes shortcuts. That's not putting his own spin, it's being lazy and disrespectful. Also, he fucks up VERY often, proved on several bootlegs. But I guess people oversaw it and keep ignoring it to have a reason to bash Robin (which of course fucked up too, not denying this at all).

Dj's presence lifted the band's spirit A LOT. That's a fact. They're having a lot more fun on and off stage with DJ, plus, we know DJ's got expectations with this band. He's looking forward to write with Axl, and we know that's a fact. I look forward to it.

Since when is that a fact? In 2006 the band was in a pretty akward moment with Ron jumping in in the last minute and later Frank addition, but by the end of 2006 they were all playing their ass off with some of the best performances of the new era. Still opinion, sure, but I remember people's reviews claiming how happy Axl was, how strong was his voice, how Ron, Robin, Richard and Frank all jammed and looked they were having fun back in 2006 and 2007.

And even though the "fact" you claimed is true, it's really like someone said: DJ may be a nice guy, but that doesn't mean he's a better player.

I thought Dead Flowers sounded fucking killer at the end. Kinda expected Axl to sing like the old days, with the "oh yeah" in between the lyrics on the chorus, haha.

All the Robin praise in this thread is fine. BUT all the DJ bashing and starting to compare him with Robin, is just so backwards striving, living in the past.

I'sure that you annoying idiots are the same idiots who missed Slash up until just recently. You just gotta hate what's in the band and love what was in the band.

I'm not a musician but the amount of times I heard Robin Fuck mess up songs on stage are endless, so please...

Just enjoy what's there.

First, if you "rarely hear DJ mess up any riffs" you clearly didn't watch/listen that many shows. I've seen him fucking things up as much, if not more, than Robin. So yeah, what you said is just not true at all.

Second, I don't think the people who missed Slash is the same people who praises Robin, save for a couple of users here. At least the ones I've seen here supporting Robin were the same ones who always liked him since the old days. I've been around for a long time to know that because I was one of the people trying to defend Robin back in 2001 to 2007.

Some BS you just pulled out of your ass there. My memory tells me this, it's not like I count the number of fuck ups. People now glorify what they didn't even used to like. Sorry for you not sorry for me, for living in the past with your distorted memories.

No wonder the band play it safe nowadays. The amount of bullshit about a current guitarrst coming in this thread because they bring up an old guitarrist.

THIS IS THE EXACT REASON TO WHY THERE WILL BE NO PERFORMANCE AT THE HALL OF FAME - CAUSE OF THESE IDIOTS.

Is there any reason for this attitude and name calling? Chill out and dont be an asshole.

3 guitar players covering Slash? What about Izzy (and Gilby)?

im not saying that myself but the majority of people who still live in 1991 bring this comment up many times

There are people that think the guitar work on all the pre Chinese albums was all done by Slash? I think most of us know that Slash played lead, and Izzy/Gilby played rhythm, and Slash even has rhythm parts on a lot of songs too, I think.

It seems the casual fan has no idea who Izzy or Gilby were and ever notice them when they are on stage. The cameras hardly focus on them.

Slash and Izzy both played rythmn and leads. That is why there's three guitarists because Slash and Izzy played rythmn and leads, they have to leave one out live.

Anyone who says shit for the band don't know how to use their ears.

AFD had more than two guitar tracks, SCOM had several, the UYI and CD songs had tons.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Just enjoy what's there.

Is there any reason for this attitude and name calling? Chill out and dont be an asshole.

Hehe. Bad day maybe. But seriously, they play this awesome concert and then this thread gets littered with these negative DJ vs Robin posts.

Anyway...I'm chill now, so PEACE