Has Myles' Voice Grown on You?

grigori

I didn't think I liked Myles' voice back when I heard Back from Cali' but now that I think about it, I just didn't like the song.

I used to not like Stings voice with the stale timbre but over time, I get kind of used that bitter, dry sound. I used to hate Scott's singing as well but I've come to like it now too. I thought Myles was alright but now I'm feeling that voice since two years have gone by listening to him sing with Slash. Anyone else feel the same way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JfMB6YBbKo

I guess it's a matter of taste.

Sometimes Myles is alright live I've seen a couple of really good shows. But I'm not a huge fan of Myles overall.It also might be because I compare Myles to Scott Weiland and Axl which might be setting the bar to high.

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

His voice is/was outstanding. He is just not a "frontman" in the way Scott/Axl are from a performance standpoint. It doesn't come naturally to him, and he still considers himself a guitar player first who happens to sing.

Listen to him in the outro of Far and Away, or the Mayfield 4 song SummerGirl, and the guy can flat out sing his ass off and has incredible range. He is just not a showman, and I think people let that cloud their judgement about just how good a singer he is.

I don't mind his voice. It's just that for me, his voice is nothing special. Not a very good lyricist either.

I prefer him in Alter Bridge to be honest. Songs like Blackbird are more suited to him imo.

All in all, I don't detect any special chemisty between him and Slash. :shrugs:

Edited by Rovim

I'd take Corey Taylor over Miles on a Slash album.

I'd take just about anyone over Myles on Slash album. :lol:

Hell, Slash should give Eric Dover a call. I've always liked his voice.

It's bad when even Eric Dover is better then Myles

After how bad Myles butchered "Beggars & Hangers-On" on the Guitar Center Sessions thing, I'd almost take Rod Jackson back.

I think it's pretty funny that I've often seen debates exactly like this about Axl's voice on a lot of non-gnr-forums.

But yeah, I had to get used to it as well. But it didn't take long.

I still didn't like him much on Ain't Been There Lately though. One of my favorite Snakepit songs.

My all-time biggest "had to get used to the voice" experience was Led Zeppelin. Took me a few years.

Edited by username

Myles has definitely grown on me. I used to HATE his voice so much... Now I only hate it in a few songs like Mean Bone, The VR covers, Mr.Brownstone, Rocket Queen and Ghost. He sounded awesome in Apocalyptic Love (except in a few songs).

His voice is/was outstanding. He is just not a "frontman" in the way Scott/Axl are from a performance standpoint. It doesn't come naturally to him, and he still considers himself a guitar player first who happens to sing.

Listen to him in the outro of Far and Away, or the Mayfield 4 song SummerGirl, and the guy can flat out sing his ass off and has incredible range. He is just not a showman, and I think people let that cloud their judgement about just how good a singer he is.

This!

not many of the singers Slash has worked before would be able to pull this song live to save their lives.

probably none nowadays.

Myles sings it with ease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4FxQginkg

i've admired his voice since Starlight.

he's just one of those singers, you either hate him or love him, some people find Axl voice irritating, same with Myles.

i'm glad Slash found a consistent singer to play their asses of every night with no setbacks

He won me over when

was released and his singing on the rest of One Day Remains solidified that belief.. This was ages before he even worked with Slash.

What the fuck? Is that Myles singing the whole time? He sounds 100000000000000000000000000000 times better in that song than the whole AL record, I swear.