Please DO NOT post pictures "exclusive to" the official GN'R site

Powerage5

Hey all, we'd just like to give you a head's up re: official pictures, in case you've missed our stance elsewhere. Please DO NOT post pictures from the official Guns N' Roses website. These are available as a benefit to paid Nightrain members, and re-posting them here for non-paid members to see could potentially cause legal trouble for the forum. Any posts made containing official photos will be edited to not include such photos, and the poster will be notified of the edit via PM. Please also report any posts that include photos from gunsnroses.com.

Not questioning mod decisions at all here so please don't take this the wrong way. I totally understand why you're being careful but surely any picture is public domain unless it's been reproduced for commercial gain? That is as long as the photograph is reproduced in full and credit given to the owner.

Edited by Dazey

Not questioning mod decisions at all here so please don't take this the wrong way. I totally understand why you're being careful but surely any picture is public domain unless it's been reproduced for commercial gain?

It's not comercial gain here they are worried about, GN'R is worried about commercial loss.

If pictures are posted here, then there is no reason to pay a premium for message board on the official site. The whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion.

surely any picture is public domain unless it's been reproduced for commercial gain?

Internet copyright law is still in its relative infancy and a lot of stuff is still not entirely clear-cut in regards to what is/isn't fair use etc., so we're looking at it from the perspective of, Better safe than sorry. Plus, we support GN'R, and people can question their membership benefits here all they want, but we're not gonna let people re-post material that's being offered as a paid benefit, you know what I mean? Thanks guys for understanding. :)

Not questioning mod decisions at all here so please don't take this the wrong way. I totally understand why you're being careful but surely any picture is public domain unless it's been reproduced for commercial gain?

It's not comercial gain here they are worried about, GN'R is worried about commercial loss.

If pictures are posted here, then there is no reason to pay a premium for message board on the official site. The whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion.

Hit the nail on the head ;)

Internet copyright law is still in its relative infancy and a lot of stuff is still not entirely clear-cut in regards to what is/isn't fair use etc., so we're looking at it from the perspective of, Better safe than sorry. Plus, we support GN'R, and people can question their membership benefits here all they want, but we're not gonna let people re-post material that's being offered as a paid benefit, you know what I mean? Thanks guys for understanding. :)

Fair enough, understood. Cheers for the clarification. :)

Not questioning mod decisions.

It's admin decisions in this case.

We asked for clarification when the pics first started to show up.

The reply was quick and decisive,and P5 has now laid out where they (and we) stand on the issue.

An admin decision that we request everyone respects.

Thanks! :)

If pictures are posted here, then there is no reason to pay a premium for message board on the official site

There's no reason at all... (not trying to be a dick, but paying for PICTURES in the internet days it doesn't make sense for me)

But i understand the decision

I understand Powerages decision, but the pictures are on Facebook for free to see. It's not like the only place you can get them is from the Official website.

And I'm wondering, what if I use a picture from the website for my sig? Will I not be allowed to do that?

Edited by GNR123GNR456

There is no reason to pay for the site. If they let you right-click to copy the photo then they are to blame. Also, they post these pics all over Facebook and Twitter so they are already out there.

There is no reason to pay for the site. If they let you right-click to copy the photo then they are to blame. Also, they post these pics all over Facebook and Twitter so they are already out there.

It doesn't mean they couldn't take legal action though. It's just not worth taking the risk.

It doesn't mean they couldn't take legal action though. It's just not worth taking the risk.

I guess better safe than sorry. No harm in keeping the tail between the legs :)

Guest Gunns

There is no reason to pay for the site. If they let you right-click to copy the photo then they are to blame.

thats cool and everything, but have you heard of print screen/screen capture? :xmassrudolph:

Guest Gunns

Fair play. I support the Admin's attitude to support the band that we all love. :)

Agreed,

and I'm enjoying the transparency with the admin/moderators with the members, its a welcome change.

I understand Powerages decision, but the pictures are on Facebook for free to see. It's not like the only place you can get them is from the Official website.

And I'm wondering, what if I use a picture from the website for my sig? Will I not be allowed to do that?

I was wondering this too because the picture in my siggy is a picture from the official site. If we're not allowed to use it for signatures just let me know and I'll take mine down :)

Guest Gunns

It's understandable if the band choose to sell the photos as part of the gnr membership, media isn't automatically free just because it's on the Internet. People buy the gnr tour book which is just band photos presented as a hard copy, it's no different if they want to charge for images being displayed online.

Good decision by the mod team.

Edited by Gunns

There is no reason to pay for the site. If they let you right-click to copy the photo then they are to blame.

thats cool and everything, but have you heard of print screen/screen capture? :xmassrudolph:

You can make it so that you can't use print screen. It's happened to me before.

Maybe the forum admin should try contacting Fernando to get permission for some of the photos to be reproduced.

(I honestly don't see this as being a big deal, I mean I hardly think anyone is going to sign up for the stupid fan club just to see some photographs. :rofl-lol: But then again, you never know with this brand.)

Edited by nambis

Maybe the forum admin should try contacting Fernando to get permission for some of the photos to be reproduced.

Not necessary... we've got many good pictures we could use... it's not like we get awesome unique band pictures in every show...