Vegas Setlist(s) General Discussion Thread

Stro

It's simple kiddie:

Axl: The dude everyone saw in all the old videos. It'll be cool to see him no matter what. Mickey Mouse voice or not. Dude kinda worked his way into 'must-see' status. Hence selling some tickets for shows now-adays.

Bumble: Better than bar gigs around NYC. End of story.

Ashba: Gets to look cool as a sillouhette (forgive my spelling... you do it without looking it up on Google) as some weird Marylin Manson/Slash/I'm piereced everywhere, tattood everywhere... get kicked out of hotels because I think I'm that that important to not-have-to-walk outside to smoke my cig catroon guitar dude. Who happens to have a nice piece of ass on his side... who probably brings along some fine pieces of ass too to hang out with middle-aged Axl and Izzy, when the dude decides to surface. I mean, WTF is wrong with that guy? Millions approaching a billion or more would be waiting for Izzy and the rest of the 'Appetite' lineup for their families if they would have kept it together... seriously... dozens of generations worth of their family trees woiuld have been taken care of... but fuck all of those people.s

Izzy, you're a complete fucking idiot.

Dizzy: Axl's too lazy to play his own parts. Except where he wants the spotlight for NR. Keep drinking Jayger (spelling again). You're cool to an exent. The classic example of not going anywhere w/o Axl and left otherwise to play two-bit barts with 5 patrons. Wait, you do that anyway.

Frank: See Dizzy above. Best drummer for GNR? Adler. He sucks at just about everything, including life, and drumming, but was the GNR sound. Matt Sourum is too full of himself, but fit the GNR image when he got lucky enough to be put on the map with GNR.

Tommy: Replacement must feel good. It certainly does in GNR. Just ask the replacement in the, well, Replacements about that. How's that working out for him?

Richard: Smartest man in the band... great paycheck... can kill any cover thrown at him. Would love to hear what he migh thave to offer in the studio. But he's happy to collect a paycheck none-the-less.

Pittman: Still tryting to figure out what the fuck he does other than the keys on Pardise City in the beginning. Possibly the smartest mother-fucker in the world. All he's really needed to have known is those notes for PC. GENIOUS. You've contributing nothing to GNR that a karoke machine could not have done, but has toured the world, fucked countless chicks (I'm sure- even for one ugly mother-f'f), jerked off Fernando every now and then, and appear to be doing something on the second set of keys during a GNR concert. You, my friend, are the luckiest basterd in the world.

Then there's the beggers-and-hangers-on like Del James just crusing along with the wave.

Hay Axl! Would any of thse dudes would have made it (millions) without you? Doubt it.

You suck and your band sucks. No amont of lights at a rock show ill make up for that.

Find your voice at least.

When actually Vegas is a success.

How is this a success - none of the shows are sold out and Axl's voice sounds like shit.

I understand "there's no such thing as bad publicity", but if Axl is able to land a major TV performance for the band off his rediscovered fame, he's going to embarrass himself.

First time I've posted in a year or more. Doesn't matter though. Axl is on a cash grab. Has anyone heard Steven Tyler lately? Dude's in his 60's and is KILLING HIS SOUND. Axl is making a parody of himself. It's PATHETIC. Sad. Mickey-mouse. Whatever.

Axl, here's some advice, tone down and use the rasp. You sound like a clown. The only people telling you it's cool to use the 'Mickey' voice are your South American 'family' members, that are only in the whole god damn thing for the money, because without you, they'd still be trying to find their way over the fence for some wellfare money here in the states.

True story.

Sucks.

Wow, there are still like 3-4 people who just cant let it go. I will be waiting in my seat three days from now, and there is no set list that can be bad. Axl will NOT hit every note, or even 75% of them. But that's fine, cause I know the vibe and energy that is coming, and a few guys trying to conflate a concert experience to a band from 20 years ago are serious in need of a new topic to bitch about.

That's the best you could come up with?

Fuck you.

End of story.

Your post might have had some value had you not devalued it yourself with your bigoted, xenophobic remarks and unprovoked little potshot there at the end.

Ali

This coming from a guy who posts countless amounts of times-- A FUCKING DAY -- on a GNR forum.

Does it feel good wasting a good chunk of your life away on this shit?

gnr world reveal a new prick... again

sincerely,

your commander in chief

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple kiddie:

Axl: The dude everyone saw in all the old videos. It'll be cool to see him no matter what. Mickey Mouse voice or not. Dude kinda worked his way into 'must-see' status. Hence selling some tickets for shows now-adays.

Bumble: Better than bar gigs around NYC. End of story.

Ashba: Gets to look cool as a sillouhette (forgive my spelling... you do it without looking it up on Google) as some weird Marylin Manson/Slash/I'm piereced everywhere, tattood everywhere... get kicked out of hotels because I think I'm that that important to not-have-to-walk outside to smoke my cig catroon guitar dude. Who happens to have a nice piece of ass on his side... who probably brings along some fine pieces of ass too to hang out with middle-aged Axl and Izzy, when the dude decides to surface. I mean, WTF is wrong with that guy? Millions approaching a billion or more would be waiting for Izzy and the rest of the 'Appetite' lineup for their families if they would have kept it together... seriously... dozens of generations worth of their family trees woiuld have been taken care of... but fuck all of those people.s

Izzy, you're a complete fucking idiot.

Dizzy: Axl's too lazy to play his own parts. Except where he wants the spotlight for NR. Keep drinking Jayger (spelling again). You're cool to an exent. The classic example of not going anywhere w/o Axl and left otherwise to play two-bit barts with 5 patrons. Wait, you do that anyway.

Frank: See Dizzy above. Best drummer for GNR? Adler. He sucks at just about everything, including life, and drumming, but was the GNR sound. Matt Sourum is too full of himself, but fit the GNR image when he got lucky enough to be put on the map with GNR.

Tommy: Replacement must feel good. It certainly does in GNR. Just ask the replacement in the, well, Replacements about that. How's that working out for him?

Richard: Smartest man in the band... great paycheck... can kill any cover thrown at him. Would love to hear what he migh thave to offer in the studio. But he's happy to collect a paycheck none-the-less.

Pittman: Still tryting to figure out what the fuck he does other than the keys on Pardise City in the beginning. Possibly the smartest mother-fucker in the world. All he's really needed to have known is those notes for PC. GENIOUS. You've contributing nothing to GNR that a karoke machine could not have done, but has toured the world, fucked countless chicks (I'm sure- even for one ugly mother-f'f), jerked off Fernando every now and then, and appear to be doing something on the second set of keys during a GNR concert. You, my friend, are the luckiest basterd in the world.

Then there's the beggers-and-hangers-on like Del James just crusing along with the wave.

Hay Axl! Would any of thse dudes would have made it (millions) without you? Doubt it.

You suck and your band sucks. No amont of lights at a rock show ill make up for that.

Find your voice at least.

When actually Vegas is a success.

How is this a success - none of the shows are sold out and Axl's voice sounds like shit.

I understand "there's no such thing as bad publicity", but if Axl is able to land a major TV performance for the band off his rediscovered fame, he's going to embarrass himself.

First time I've posted in a year or more. Doesn't matter though. Axl is on a cash grab. Has anyone heard Steven Tyler lately? Dude's in his 60's and is KILLING HIS SOUND. Axl is making a parody of himself. It's PATHETIC. Sad. Mickey-mouse. Whatever.

Axl, here's some advice, tone down and use the rasp. You sound like a clown. The only people telling you it's cool to use the 'Mickey' voice are your South American 'family' members, that are only in the whole god damn thing for the money, because without you, they'd still be trying to find their way over the fence for some wellfare money here in the states.

True story.

Sucks.

Wow, there are still like 3-4 people who just cant let it go. I will be waiting in my seat three days from now, and there is no set list that can be bad. Axl will NOT hit every note, or even 75% of them. But that's fine, cause I know the vibe and energy that is coming, and a few guys trying to conflate a concert experience to a band from 20 years ago are serious in need of a new topic to bitch about.

That's the best you could come up with?

Fuck you.

End of story.

Your post might have had some value had you not devalued it yourself with your bigoted, xenophobic remarks and unprovoked little potshot there at the end.

Ali

This coming from a guy who posts countless amounts of times-- A FUCKING DAY -- on a GNR forum.

Does it feel good wasting a good chunk of your life away on this shit?

gnr world reveal a new prick... again

sincerely,

your commander in chief

"Even during the UYI tours they would say comments about 'not setlist' but it was always the same. Dunno who they are trying to fool, since UYI their shows have always been 'same same' setlist wise. Whilst they never even shake up the delviery of the songs themselves. Bands like Jack White's ones, or the Black Crowes....now those are setlists that change and evolve."

Sorry, but that's BS, I saw them on the UYI tour and the setlists were indeed different each time. I think I was at one of the only shows were they played Breakdown, Locomotive and So Fine. They came on 3 hours late and not one person I saw walked away not in complete praise of what a great show that was, despite the wait. I was them 6 months later w/ Metallica and they were flat in comparison.

I have also seen these guys on the CD tour and, while not bad, and obviously a very tight band musically, it did seem scripted and lacking any sort of spontaneous quality, which is part of why GNR was exciting in the first place. I have not seen them since 2010, and I don't think I have missed a thing. From what I can tell, it's been exactly the same show, over and over.

Unfortunately, I think a percentage of people here are perhaps too young to have seen the pre CD lineups and are defending the current shows based on YouTube videos of past tours. Sorry, but you had to be there.

I'm old enough to have seen them from early days onwards and am lucky enough to have seen them twice on the UYI tour, whilst was also a geek with the bootleg and trading circles as well, so had shitloads of shows on cassette, cd and even vhs (into the scene before ppl were burning dvds so easily) . Have also been to the newguns era shos from bucket and beyond. UYI tour definitely got premeditated and stale, whilst every song was always played the same, night in night out. Yes of course there were some shows with shake up in the set, and those are famous quite frankly, but the majority of them were very much the same.

So thanks, I was there.

However, UYI tour setlists were still shaken up a lot more than these CD era ones without a doubt, but to say this band has ever been free and crazy with the setlist is a lie imo. Changing up a set list by added or subtracting 2-3 songs doesn't equate to a shaked up and diverse setlist imo. Whilst playing the songs note for note from the album night in and night out is a bit sterile as well over time (again just my personal preference).

Will admit, I didn't care much back then, as they were fucking awesome. Looking back at it, I'm always a bit o_O when I read the quotes regarding 'no setlists' and 'we don't know what we're gonna play until we do it'. Paraphrasing there in case someone tries to actually find those exact quotes somewhere:P

I do totally agree with your comments about the CD era shows, couldn't word it better. eg this:

I have also seen these guys on the CD tour and, while not bad, and obviously a very tight band musically, it did seem scripted and lacking any sort of spontaneous quality, which is part of why GNR was exciting in the first place. I have not seen them since 2010, and I don't think I have missed a thing. From what I can tell, it's been exactly the same show, over and over.

i'm sure they are doing a great show in vegas and that the show is worth the money. BUT: basically it's the same show they've done for the last couple of years. nothing really new. maybe some changes in the setlist and a levitating piano. nothing really inventive, creative or mindblowing. and of course the lack of new music... i've seen them three times in the last 6 years- axls hair and voice has changed, musicians have changed - it's time for new songs!

It is kind of stupid that this band keeps playing the same songs with some little variants when they have a huge but really HUGE back catalog to choose from. Forget about brand new songs, I mean, why is so hard for Axl to give his fans Oh My God? or I don't know, Dust N' Bones?

When Axl took over GNR, I was hoping he had the ambition to really evolve and make something of it. I don't doubt that those were his intentions at the beginning but it certaintly seems like those are no longer his intentions. :(

We could be so close..

WS9zX.png

He was right.. The flying piano and the RQ Dancers :)

It is kind of stupid that this band keeps playing the same songs with some little variants when they have a huge but really HUGE back catalog to choose from. Forget about brand new songs, I mean, why is so hard for Axl to give his fans Oh My God? or I don't know, Dust N' Bones?

Exactly. It's not about just playing new songs, it's the fact that Axl has such a huge back catalog to choose from but consist's on playing the same songs every night. I would think this residency would be momentous and different from the last dozen legs of the Chinese Democracy tour. The only thing "different" is a platform over the crowd and a levitating piano.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Maybe because most fans don't want to hear dust n bones or oh my god. I certainly don't.

Maybe because most fans don't want to hear dust n bones or oh my god. I certainly don't.

Both of those songs are awesome (IMO) and I think would be great for the band to do.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

So you're saying most fans DO want to hear Don't Let It Bring You Down and Riff Raff?

So you're saying most fans DO want to hear Don't Let It Bring You Down and Riff Raff?

:takethat:

Most concert goers want to hear the hits they can sing along with. Outside of those 6 or 7 songs, the rest are just what Axl wants to sing. Same goes for pretty much every band. Good luck changing his mind. If he doesn't want to play the lesser known UYI songs, then you're not going to hear them.

I might as well post this here, too. It was written for another thread with focus on the difference between 2006 and 2012, but hopefully some might find it interesting:

Just a little bit more on the changes in setlists sinsce this pops up all the time with so many people almost being apoplectic about "the identical setlists".

Both in 2006 and now in 2012 the setlists have contained some songs that I guess are just too much classical to be removed: Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Nightrain, Patience, Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Live and Let Die. As you can see, many of these are hit songs, single songs, songs that are very well-known. These 11 songs comprise the scaffold of the setlist, if you want, and are usually only missing from a setlist if it is an acoustic show or if the show was shorter than usual. Removing any of these will probably leave quite many concert goers wondering why they didn't get to hear that particular favourite.

In addition to these 11 core songs there are a few Chinese Democracy songs that have been constant through the years, not because they have the same popularity as the songs above but probably because Axl wants to use the to showcase the new album. These songs are Madagascar, Street of Dreams and Better. These are less constant than the core hit songs, but nevertheless almost always played.

So now we have a list of 14 songs that have formed the basis for GN'R gigs in the period 2006-2012. Leaving any of these out would either not be popular with the audience (if it is a song from the classic song scaffold) or presumably with Axl (if it is one of the 3 CD songs).

The rest of the setlist -- which is typically from 4 to 12 songs -- have varied through the years from 2006 to 2012, because the band and probably some fans, want to change things up a bit. In 2006 the following songs were mostly chosen to fill up the setlists (which typically contained 18-20 songs): Rocket Queen, Chinese Democracy, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, I.R.S. and Used To Love Her. By 2012, though, Rocket Queen and Chinese Democracy had become part of the core set, the setlist lenght had increased to 21-24 songs, and the following songs comprise those that are chosen to fill out the setlists: Estranged, Civil War, Don't Cry, Sorry, This I Love, Whole Lotta Rosie, Shackler's Revenge, Motivation and Glad To Be Here.

So the setlists aren't identical. They were more varied back in the early 90s, but they still change from tour to tour, from year to year. It might not be obvious to people only paying casual attention and people who focus on a given tour, but looked from a bit further away, the accumulated changes are pretty glaring. We might want the band to not use a scaffolding core set of songs, we might want the band to have more songs available and rotate them more frequently, but fact is that the setlists vary all the time and that when we compare 2006 to 2012, the differences are quite big.

get rid of a jam, throw in a new song and everyones happy

This^

Do we really NEED Bumble/Fortus/Tommy doing their own song when they could have thrown in a different or new song? It's cool that Axl wants to show off his band by letting them do their stuff, but I think it would satisy the die-hards by doing a new song!

If your argument is that they're not doing new songs because people won't know them, then I'd say that most of the general public who just want to attend a rn'r show won't really know anything off CD seeing as there were no singles off it really, so it'd be the same thing to them!

Everyone is only happy for a very short amount of time,and the whole setlist thing starts again within a week or two.That being said I wouldn't mind hearing an old song or something new being played,and I'm also looking forward to a new album,but I don't sit around ready to take a nervous breakdown over it like some people.I find you hear alot of bands and other performers bringing up the fact that fans are complaing about the setlists they play,it's a product of the youtube generation,it's something these performers never had to deal with in the old days,people didn't have the option of following their favorite band or performer all over the world from the comfort of home,where most of the critisism originates.Bottom line is somebody will always be complaining it will never stop. Edited by cbgnr

This^

Do we really NEED Bumble/Fortus/Tommy doing their own song when they could have thrown in a different or new song? It's cool that Axl wants to show off his band by letting them do their stuff, but I think it would satisy the die-hards by doing a new song!

If your argument is that they're not doing new songs because people won't know them, then I'd say that most of the general public who just want to attend a rn'r show won't really know anything off CD seeing as there were no singles off it really, so it'd be the same thing to them!

This is nothing new. Feel free to look up some setlists from 1991 and you will see that there were jams and solos then as well. Only back then there were maybe 15 actual songs preformed. I enjoyed the jams and solos at the shows I attend. I also have the power to skip those YouTube video clips if I don't want to watch them from my basement....

"Everyone" attending the shows are already happy, the opinion of a few hardcore fans probably doesn't mean much to the band. They probably won't be playing a new song until a new record is planned for release, to test out the crowd's reaction and to promote the new album and create buzz. I don't see that happening in a while.

FYI pinned thread for the SETlist inspectors.

yeah but that topic is locked - for the mods to put any setlist discussion to garbage and out of context? its eating a lot of fans obviously and should be discussed.

Look, most of the mods share your views on the setlist. Regardless, if you try reading through a show thread, you get turned off after 2 pages because it's the same people making the same posts about the setlist over and over again. If there's no diversity between topics, then the forum becomes boring - we're not moving the discussion until after the shows (when the threads usually go quiet anyway) so nobody is being prevented from discussing it. Most of the posts aren't bitching about the individual shows, but rather the residency as a whole.

Same goes for making new topics about it - there's a setlist topic, put your views on it in here. We don't need a seperate thread for every single person with a big ego that basically says the same thing.

My view - they should be taking more gambles with the order they're playing songs and trying to throw a couple random songs in there (even something like OMG) for the "hardcore" fans. I think it's a solid setlist if you've never seen the band before, but a residency is going to draw a lot of die-hards that go to multiple gigs and it would be cool if there were a few more surprises thrown in there. I'm still excited to go see it.

Your last paragraph is pure gold. Great post.