Vegas Setlist(s) General Discussion Thread

Stro

When I used to watch 90s bootlegs of GNR stuff on the same tour leg, I always wished I could go to as many shows as possible because they would always change like 3 or 4 songs. This is ridiculous. Matt Sorum was the first to say 'We don't follow a set list', and when he was in the band, he was correct. Now... 'hmmm. well'

It's a cash grab. No effort into changing it up as it would require more energy. A flying piano.. lol

GNR is a circus now.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They band really should do something with the setlist.

It's not just a hardcore thing. No one really gives a shit about a flying piano or Ramstein pyros or dancers when it's just the same order of songs over and over again this is not even a rock concert anymore, just a big and bloated show production.

They don't even have to play new songs, but they could at least change the order of the songs, or try different arrangements of classics, or include an acoustic set or just play some of those other 25 UYI songs. It's not like they don't have plenty of material to choose from, but they don't even play the best CD songs (TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute) anymore.

DJ saying "we never follow a setlist it's all so spontanious" and promising surprises is beyond laughable given the setlist they actually play. 2 - 3 hours is awesome but the truth is half of that is covers and guitar solos.

14 Years, Catcher In The Rye, Yesterdays, There Was A Time, Breakdown, Coma, Prostitute, Locomotive, Dead Horse...so many gems but they play AC/DC covers. It's a shame.

Edited by sascha

DJ saying "we never follow a setlist it's all so spontanious" and promising surprises is beyond laughable given the setlist they actually play. 2 - 3 hours is awesome but the truth is half of that is covers and guitar solos.

14 Years, Catcher In The Rye, Yesterdays, There Was A Time, Breakdown, Coma, Prostitute, Locomotive, Dead Horse...so many gems but they play AC/DC covers. It's a shame.

Yeah, why so many covers? I can understand Live and Let Die and KOHD because they are on the UYIs but AC/DC, Rolling Stones and Neil Young is like "why?".

They band really should do something with the setlist.

It's not just a hardcore thing. No one really gives a shit about a flying piano or Ramstein pyros or dancers when it's just the same order of songs over and over again this is not even a rock concert anymore, just a big and bloated show production.

They don't even have to play new songs, but they could at least change the order of the songs, or try different arrangements of classics, or include an acoustic set or just play some of those other 25 UYI songs. It's not like they don't have plenty of material to choose from, but they don't even play the best CD songs (TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute) anymore.

I agree 100% with you.

They don't even have to bust out a new song, even though that would be amazing and a tremendous treat for the fans.

Just mix up a few songs each night. They have something like 50 other songs they never play....why not rotate a couple of those in?

This band is reportedly sitting on a couple more albums in their vault. Plus DJ and Axl say they are constantly writing new material. They have over 50 songs they don't play.....there really is no need to keep adding covers.

This band is reportedly sitting on a couple more albums in their vault. Plus DJ and Axl say they are constantly writing new material.

Sure. And I have wings and walk on water.

Even with the most optimistic attitude anyone who followed the band for a bit is plain delusional to believe anything regarding new material anymore until they actually let us HEAR it. Don't get me wrong I would love some new material but I see absolutely nothing even remotely pointing towards that.

It sucks that axl would rather appeal to your average asshole than his hardcore fan base. The thing that'sa really redic is he would only have to play one fucking song that wasn't normally played or mix the order up.(nightrain first. Jungle in the middle) and it would appeal to both groups. Yet he refuses to do it. Hr must really hate us... the "fans who stuck with him...thru all the fuckin shit.." has he just lost his creative drive all together?

Edited by drtydane

It sucks that axl would rather appeal to your average asshole than his hardcore fan base. The thing that'sa really redic is he would only have to play one fucking song that wasn't normally played or mix the order up.(nightrain first. Jungle in the middle) and it would appeal to both groups. Yet he refuses to do it. Hr must really hate us... the "fans who stuck with him...thru all the fuckin shit.." has he just lost his creative drive all together?

So if the setlist consisted of the exact same songs as before, but in a different order you would be happy? I don't get it. Does it matter what order the songs are in? The point, to me, is to add a couple different songs every now and then (not covers).

ASHBA: So awesome, all the cool new stuff we've got planned for these Vegas shows. It's going to be epic!

AXL: Ummm ... not feeling it, man. Not going to do any of that.

ASHBA: But I promised the fans a different setlist!

AXL: Okay, let's play Estranged as the 5th song of the night instead of the 6th.

ASHBA: Totally unique setlist! Awesome dude, you always come through for me.

FYI pinned thread for the SETlist inspectors.

yeah but that topic is locked - for the mods to put any setlist discussion to garbage and out of context? its eating a lot of fans obviously and should be discussed.

If a Gnr setlist is eating at you or anyone else, I suggest maybe taking a break from following every show online for a while,and maybe check back every so often and see if something new has been played,and if it has it will be a bonus,and if there's nothing different you wouldn't have missed a thing.It's a win win situation.

It sucks that axl would rather appeal to your average asshole than his hardcore fan base.

+ 1000

He's got all the right to do what he wants but the thing is I just don't BUY it anymore. If playing AC/DC covers is what he went through all the shit for then he was never credible in the first place. But if his music has proven one thing then it's that he is an artist, yet he goes for the corporate entertainer to appease people who don't give two shits about the art while sending out a nice big FUCK YOU to every single hardcore fan who LOVE the art. And then there's the yes-fanbase trying to push everyone criticising that into the corner of false entitlement wich is absolute bullshit.

I don't expect him to turn into Bruce Springsteen but if the Stones can play "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and even Zeppelin played "For Your Life" at the O2 then why the fuck can't he pull out the big guns instead of all that big production flying piano dancers pyro pop bullshit crap. So he's insecure? Kick off a set with Nightrain or try and play say Locomotive or TWAT and see what happens. To the random asshole it won't be much of a difference to any CD track but to the actual fans it could make all the difference.

yeah but that topic is locked - for the mods to put any setlist discussion to garbage and out of context? its eating a lot of fans obviously and should be discussed.

If a Gnr setlist is eating at you or anyone else, I suggest maybe taking a break from following every show online for a while,and maybe check back every so often and see if something new has been played,and if it has it will be a bonus,and if there's nothing different you wouldn't have missed a thing.It's a win win situation.

See, that's how I feel. I can't see purposely seeking out something everyday to discuss that I hate as much as many people seem to.

Been there, done that, didn't work, still CARE about the band and still would travel the world to see them but not with this setlist.

It sucks that axl would rather appeal to your average asshole than his hardcore fan base.

+ 1000

He's got all the right to do what he wants but the thing is I just don't BUY it anymore. If playing AC/DC covers is what he went through all the shit for then he was never credible in the first place. But if his music has proven one thing then it's that he is an artist, yet he goes for the corporate entertainer to appease people who don't give two shits about the art while sending out a nice big FUCK YOU to every single hardcore fan who LOVE the art. And then there's the yes-fanbase trying to push everyone criticising that into the corner of false entitlement wich is absolute bullshit.

I don't expect him to turn into Bruce Springsteen but if the Stones can play "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and even Zeppelin played "For Your Life" at the O2 then why the fuck can't he pull out the big guns instead of all that big production flying piano dancers pyro pop bullshit crap. So he's insecure? Kick off a set with Nightrain or try and play say Locomotive or TWAT and see what happens. To the random asshole it won't be much of a difference to any CD track but to the actual fans it could make all the difference.

Friggin superb post, really sums up the whole thing, particularly with regard to the dickhead 'yes-fanbase'.

At this point we've been so let down by the lack of anything new it wouldn't take much to please all the ppl complaining about the set list.

I think that's wat upsets me the most. The fact that it would b so easy to make us all happy. A four minute change in the three hour set would make everybody happy. And as it's been stated... the casual fan wouldn't notice a difference between sumthing different and any of the chinese songs. Why won't he throw us a fucking bone?? I

Ppl in axls camp read thr boards. So thre is no way axl DOESN'T kno we're starved for a change in the set list. Why not dust sumthing off for us? Arr you fucking serious axl??

I agree with dusting off a couple songs for each show, but as a hardcore fan I LIKE the big production. Concerts are supposed to be visual too, otherwise why not pump the audio throughout the gaming floor so that fans can just listen?

Funny, I don't recall anyone ever complaining when Steven Tyler and his piano were often lifted high into the air while performing Dream On. :question:

I'd be shocked if they ever play Coma or Locomotive. I saw them just a couple years ago, and Axl sounded great, as did the band. But I just can't see Axl being able to sing such relentless, high impact songs anymore. Those two songs are a bitch to sing!