Vegas Setlist(s) General Discussion Thread

Stro

If you think about it, Estranged is such a weird choice for the fifth song in a set. I guess in some sense it's understandable since energy is still quite high at the beginning of the show, but unleashing an eight/nine minute long song so soon into the set just seems odd. It's great that they're playing it again, but I feel like it might fit better as the first song in the Encore. But that could be just me. Thoughts?

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think about it, Estranged is such a weird choice for the fifth song in a set. I guess in some sense it's understandable since energy is still quite high at the beginning of the show, but unleashing an eight/nine minute long song so soon into the set just seems odd. It's great that they're playing it again, but I feel like it might fit better as the first song in the Encore. But that could be just me. Thoughts?

Not just you, I agree completely.

Agreed. I've always thought it fit better late in the show.

Mixing up the first 5-10 songs would honestly make such a difference in people thinking these Vegas shows are special.

What's so wrong with..

Chinese

Jungle

Easy

You're Crazy

Shacklers

Brownstone

Estranged

Better

Perfect mix of old songs and Chinese for the first half of the show.

Agreed. I've always thought it fit better late in the show.

As a concert experience, I think I would enjoy hearing Axl come back from the encore break singing "When you're talking to yourself..." than hearing the intro to Madagascar. Would be such a cool way to start the encore since Estranged is such a monster song. Plus, other than the last few refrains, it's not the most demanding vocally, meaning Axl gets a bit longer break from the encore. Always thought Live and Let Die (if they're going to play it) works better as the fifth song like they did in 2001. I know it's just knit picking but would be a cool dynamic.

In this sense it seems like the set is based more around what Axl and the band wants to play than what might work best for the audience (though the intro, outro and closing encore songs all seemed designed with the audience in mind). Not a huge deal, but maybe something the band might want to think about (if they don't already) since apparently they don't follow a concrete setlist.

Edited by downzy

Mixing up the first 5-10 songs would honestly make such a difference in people thinking these Vegas shows are special.

What's so wrong with..

Chinese

Jungle

Easy

You're Crazy

Shacklers

Brownstone

Estranged

Better

Perfect mix of old songs and Chinese for the first half of the show.

Yeah, I agree. WTTJ is such a great intro song, but it was always great during the UYI days when the band would kind of spring it on the audience. It just feels sometimes that when they play the same five songs to begin each concert they might be going through the motions a bit. The band could still play all the same songs of the past six years but radically change the show by simply messing with the order a bit.

Estranged has apparently taken Sorry's spot as the cooldown song after that first run of harder stuff. I personally think Sorry fit better in the spot, but whatever...

'Sorry' never really worked for me live. The four times I saw it performed live it seemed to take the audience out of the show. Was definitely one of those "well, going to take a piss" moments where most people around left to use the washroom as they waited for the band to come on. If it's not Live and Let Die, perhaps Don't Cry or Civil War could be bumped up a bit to take Estranged's place.

Edited by downzy

Estranged has apparently taken Sorry's spot as the cooldown song after that first run of harder stuff. I personally think Sorry fit better in the spot, but whatever...

'Sorry' never really worked for me live. The four times I saw it performed live it seemed to take the audience out of the show. Was definitely one of those "well, going to take a piss" moments where most people around left to use the washroom as they waited for the band to come on. If it's not Live and Let Die, perhaps Don't Cry or Civil War could be bumped up a bit to take Estranged's place.

I never really give a shit about "taking the crowd out of it." Sorry is one of my favorite tunes off CD, and I absolutely loved it. I'm biased of course, by the fact that I now own the pick Dj used to play the solo, but it really is probably one of my top 2 or 3 tracks off CD. Love the song live too, and am definitely sorry to see it go (no pun intended).

How is the attendance tonight?

I never really give a shit about "taking the crowd out of it." Sorry is one of my favorite tunes off CD, and I absolutely loved it. I'm biased of course, by the fact that I now own the pick Dj used to play the solo, but it really is probably one of my top 2 or 3 tracks off CD. Love the song live too, and am definitely sorry to see it go (no pun intended).

I am sorry for you, not sorry for me. :shades:

How is the attendance tonight?

I am sorry for you, not sorry for me. :shades:

If only the forum had a like button...

I agree. I never understood the hate it got. I mean, it is a slow, dark song, it ain't a feelgood song. Not sure what people were expecting. I think it was probably the best song off of CD to put in that spot. I miss it, too. Totally agree about KoHD, too. So overplayed and overdone it ain't even funny...

I agree. I never understood the hate it got. I mean, it is a slow, dark song, it ain't a feelgood song. Not sure what people were expecting. I think it was probably the best song off of CD to put in that spot. I miss it, too. Totally agree about KoHD, too. So overplayed and overdone it ain't even funny...

I think most of the hate around here is for what it does to the crowd atmosphere, which I guess I understand. I just always care way more about my own enjoyment than anyone else at the shows, and I fuckin' love that tune. If everyone else wants to pee, cool. I'm gonna love the shit out of it.

Shackler is a fuckin beast live. They should play it at every show. It kills, and everyone loves it. I think it probably gets consistently the best reaction of any of the CD material live...

Easily the best live song I think I've ever seen. It's a fuckin' monster.

If I look at this, not as a internet fanboy purist, it's a great show and a great set. Simple as that. No clue how Axl sounded, but on paper anyway - awesome stuff!

But stil I just want something NEW. It's been over 4 years. Even the Stones don't tour the same stuff for that long.. :(

Edited by username