Vegas Setlist(s) General Discussion Thread

Stro

I can complain about the five shows I went to over the past year, which were all basically the same. Chinese, Jungle, Easy, Brownstone, blah blah blah...

It was funny, cuz I would shout the name of the next song going to be played, and they would start to play it. And everyone around me would be like "HOW ARE YOU DOING THAT?!"

Which confirms there's just a very small percentage of the audience (us on the forums) that follows the band's setlists during a tour..

It's unfortunate for us, but the band has to take the majority of the concert goers into consideration when choosing which songs to play.

Again, I agree with that to an extent. Yeah, cater to the ones who aren't the hardcore fans going to multiple shows, but also cater to the hardcore fans forking out a lot of money to travel and go to multiple gigs.

How large a percentage of the audience do the hardcore fans make up? 5%? Less? I know it's hard to determine. But, how much they should cater o the hardcore fans should depend on how large that percentage is.

Ali

That's an absolutely ridiculous statement, and I'll leave it at that.

No, it isn't. What makes more sense, catering to 5% or less of your audience or the 95% or more? Sure, it would be cool to do what Spirit said. I wish they would do that. But, expecting major variations to appease some small percentage of the audience is likely unrealistic. Now, if the hardcore fans made up a sizeable chunk like 30% of the audience, the argument for major variations in the setlist becomes much, much stronger.

Ali

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit some people just can't turn off denial mode - Axl has taken the easy way: win lotsa money with the least work possible, so basically, he'll be playing the standard setlist with a few minor useless variations we've sern before, and fuck the hardcore fanbase, money's money, right?

wondering if they'll play TWAT at all during this

residency.

Of course not, it's a fan favourite, why should they play it?

define fan favourite. Maybe a favourite of the people currently in this thread, but lets be honest a lot of gnr fans wont even know twat.

"a lot of GN'R fans" don't even know the name of the lead guitarist, they think "Estranged" is just long and boring, they wonder why Slash wears makeup now and they are dissapointed the band doesn't play their biggest hit "Living On A Prayer" but they leave happy anyway because they got to see Jimmy Page, the lead guitarist of Pink Floyd. I wouldn't call these people fans, they are more like the average mainstream classic rock target audience filling seats and paying the bills, fans are the ones left when these idiots are long gone. So what are fan favourites? You can call them "album tracks" or "deep cuts" but we will most likely be talking about the very same songs.

Right, because I said "major variations". Is anyone asking them to play an entire set of new songs? No. I, along with a ton of others, thing one new song is more than acceptable. Would that fall into your "5%-worthy" category?

Sorry, I didn't see any post from you about "one new song". If that's all you want, hey, I agree. That would be cool. Otherwise, I said nothing about worthiness or lack thereof. I'm just trying to emphasize the importance of taking a step back and trying to understand the breakdown of the audience as a whole at these shows.

Ali

I know what you're saying, but you don't find it frustrating that it's city after city, country after country, of the same tour? Yeah, they played this cover there, or this Illusion song here, but come on.

I love this band with all of my heart, but I can't, and won't, keep shelling out hundreds of dollars and hundreds of miles to see them multiple times when they play, all to see the same show each time.

Either way, this isn't the setlist thread, so I'm going to stop discussing it here. Hope anyone going to the show tonight enjoys the hell out of it!

I don't get why everybody complains about the setlist all the time. Iron Maiden never change the setlist once on their tours; not even switching the order they do it in and nobody ever complains about that.

We should be thankful that a) they're actually playing shows and not couped away doing jack **** and b) they occasionally play songs they don't normally songs and they change the order of the songs quite often

Just my 2 cents

I think a lot of people are also pissed because cover songs and solos are taking up spots where new songs could be played or old songs that are rarely played like catcher, itw, prostitute etc

I get sick of seeing so many covers and solos and other shit that detracts from the possibility of other songs being played

Holy shit some people just can't turn off denial mode - Axl has taken the easy way: win lotsa money with the least work possible, so basically, he'll be playing the standard setlist with a few minor useless variations we've sern before, and fuck the hardcore fanbase, money's money, right?

I consider myself a hardcore fan, but have never felt like I was fucked over after leaving a Guns concert.

A 3 hour GN'R concert, 20+ GN'R songs... I'm in heaven.

Ok, they didn't play Locomotive, Don't Damn Me or Coma. Had I've been happy if they played them? HELL YEAH! But I wasn't mad at them or disappointed at all, they gave a fantastic show.

Maybe they just like to play the songs they play?

Well, I don't think so. Bumblefoot already said he want to play, TWAT, Catcher, Scraped, etc. In a interview before this tour. And Fortus said some time ago he want to play Catcher too.

Edited by LuanVictorxD

I'm sure TWAT and CITR would get played nearly every night if Axl felt like he could sing them live. I wish they would bring back If The World. That was by far the best CD song they added to the CD World Tour in 2009.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I consider myself a hardcore fan, but have never felt like I was fucked over after leaving a Guns concert.

Ok, they didn't play Locomotive, Don't Damn Me or Coma. Had I've been happy if they played them? HELL YEAH! But I wasn't mad at them or disappointed at all, they gave a fantastic show.

+ this.

That's not the easy way dude. The easy way is not touring and living off royalties. Cracks me up when people insinuate that making money is somehow wrong. Fuck I hate that liberal mentality. Everyone should make as much as they can with the least amount of effort. Axl does not need to strive to work harder for his money for you.

I know ill get crucified for saying this, but the majority of people attending these shows couldn't care less if a new song is played if they tried. Shit, they wouldn't bat an eye if Axl stopped playing the Chinese stuff altogether. So yeah, I'd say five percent s an appropriate estimation. There's really not a huge demand for more new material among the general public unless slash and co are involved.

Axl failed to make "GNR" anything other than a nostalgic touring cash grab as far as the general public is concerned. It is what it is.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the motley crue stuff they're pulling on stage in Vegas... I've always thought all the fireworks were a bit too much, and now this. I don't like the circus crap artists today use on stage. I prefer it old school.

I hope this is for Vegas ONLY.

Its Vegas dude. It is better than this...

So what? I don't like the new stuff they're adding to the stage no matter where they are. A flying piano? Ashba coming up through the floor in the beginning of CD? I hope it's for the Vegas shows only.

They're still delivering a kick ass show, as usual, I just don't like the props they've borrowed from Kiss.

I love the new intro though, and I think there are some new clips on the big screen during songs as well.

Edited by Jeez

I know ill get crucified for saying this, but the majority of people attending these shows couldn't care less if a new song is played if they tried. Shit, they wouldn't bat an eye if Axl stopped playing the Chinese stuff altogether. So yeah, I'd say five percent s an appropriate estimation. There's really not a huge demand for more new material among the general public unless slash and co are involved.

Axl failed to make "GNR" anything other than a nostalgic touring cash grab as far as the general public is concerned. It is what it is.

You can be excited about new music by a band you like, but still mostly want to hear the big hits when you go see them live.

Personally I'm a casual Metallica fan, and I really enjoyed Death Magnetic. But were I going to see them live, I would've been most excited to hear Master of Puppets, One, Fade to Black, Enter Sandman etc...

When you say there's not a huge demand for new GN'R music, what do you base that on?

I've been off topic in a few posts, sorry about that.

This. Surprises are nice, but not every band can be Bruce Springsteen, playing over 100 different songs over the course of a tour. The Who do the same show every night, so do the Stones, so do most bands. I recognize, even at Springsteen shows, that obsessives like me are the vast minority. Granted, every Bruce show I've seen he's done at least one song I've never heard him do before. But GNR put on a damn fine show. So far, we're 2 shows into a 12 show residency, not sure it's time to throw the whole thing under the bus yet.

I can complain about the five shows I went to over the past year, which were all basically the same. Chinese, Jungle, Easy, Brownstone, blah blah blah...

It was funny, cuz I would shout the name of the next song going to be played, and they would start to play it. And everyone around me would be like "HOW ARE YOU DOING THAT?!"

I did that in Chicago last year and 1/3rd of the way Axl say's "time to fuck with someone" and played Scraped. :)

give it a try ! :thumbsup:

"We're playing three shows a week and our main goal is to make every show unique and really change it up because we do realize there are going to be a lot of people flying from all over the world to see maybe one, two, three shows," says Ashba. "But there are the local people that we do take into consideration that may show up to every single show. That's kind of what's been cool about Guns: it's so spontaneous live, we've never followed a set list."

I did that in Chicago last year and 1/3rd of the way Axl say's "time to fuck with someone" and played Scraped. :)

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

NOT AT ALL !

Except that Scraped wasn't played at either recent Chicago show.

Except that Scraped wasn't played at either recent Chicago show.

my bad Shacklers