Django Unchained, new Tarantino flick

JONEZY

Like most Tarantino movies, I either like one half or the other but have a hard time loving the entire movie. Django is similar in that I thought it was great right up until Leonardo enters the story. The clan rally was probably my favourite scene and classic Tarantino. It is definitely worth a look if you're a Tarantino fan, and Christoph Waltz is fantastic in it (probably the only truly exceptional performance in the movie). DiCaprio is fine, just not as great as people are making his role out to be (it's kind of one-note all the way through the performance). And like Jonezy states, there's a real lull two-thirds through the movie.

Definitely better than most films out there today, but hard to label this as one of Tarantino's best (IMO, his cannon is still limited to Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Reservoir Dogs, and Death Proof).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bit about Tarantino that cracks me up is when he gets on the sort of moral high horse about art and artistic rights and stuff like that, y'know, being true to like...God knows what when his whole schtick is like, homage to exploitative cinema, it kinda makes the whole like, the whole thing about y'know "slavery was harsh, it would be a disservice to those people that died if i didn't show it like it was and lemme tell ya, it was a lot harsher than this", all the while doffing his cap to like, Mandingo :lol:

Mandingo actually has more integrity on that score, IMO.

There is a lull (to put it mildly) in the second half, but the relationship between DiCaprio and Jackson is the only remotely interesting writing in the film. Waltz gives the exact same performance he's given in all his US stuff, I'm over it.

Edited by Angelica

Guest Len B'stard

I wanna hear someone whoose taste i trusts opinion on it cuz yous lot are really popping my bubble so far :lol: Wasted, Angie, Lithium, seen it yet? :)

Edited by sugaraylen

I wanna hear someone whoose taste i trusts opinion on it cuz yous lot are really popping my bubble so far :lol: Wasted, Angie, Lithium, seen it yet? :)

The bit about Tarantino that cracks me up is when he gets on the sort of moral high horse about art and artistic rights and stuff like that, y'know, being true to like...God knows what when his whole schtick is like, homage to exploitative cinema, it kinda makes the whole like, the whole thing about y'know "slavery was harsh, it would be a disservice to those people that died if i didn't show it like it was and lemme tell ya, it was a lot harsher than this", all the while doffing his cap to like, Mandingo :lol:

Mandingo actually has more integrity on that score, IMO.

There is a lull (to put it mildly) in the second half, but the relationship between DiCaprio and Jackson is the only remotely interesting writing in the film. Waltz gives the exact same performance he's given in all his US stuff, I'm over it.

Yeah, I really really REALLY didn't like it. It's the first work of his I haven't enjoyed.

Seriously? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to me that's just ridiculous, and honestly I don't see a reason for it. Death Proof and Jackie Brown are his weakest in my opinion. Aside from SMJ in Jackie Brown, I found the rest to just be "Alright" And Death Proof wasn't his greatest, but I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable.

So I guess if I had to pick, Jackie Brown would be my least favorite.

The only problem I had with Django was that

the bit after when/after Django surrenders seemed forced and unnecessary. I liked when he was finally back at the property and killing people, but they probably could have figured out a way for him to finish everything without having to give up.

It was brilliant!!! I read a lot of reviews about people saying it gets boring a couple of hours in, but with that in my head it wasn't that bad when I got round to watching it. I enjoyed the conversation scenes. Yeah, it was a bit over the top violence in the last 20 minutes, but that's tarantino I guess.

The gangster rap music, that sucked.

Thought it was a pretty good film. Better than I expected, though the guy playing Dr. Schultz definitively carried the movie by leaps and bounds. Samuel L Jackon's character was funny at times I admit, but you could really tell how weak of an actor he is. Just felt forced IMO. DeCaprio was on point as always, fantastic performance. Christoph waltz(Dr Schultz) had me rolling throughout the movie, loved him.

However, I dont think the criticism of the movie with regards to racism were at all warranted. I hardly noticed they used the N word 100 times and a few of my friends whom are black thought the movie was amazing. It had the perfect balance of evil white guy slaveholding, n word spewing scoundrels, and the white man killin' black dude while gansta rap bumpin going on. White folks loved it, Black folks loved it, best movie of 2012 I think.

Guest Len B'stard

I absolutely loved it to bits! I thought it was the best thing he's done since Jackie Brown. It was just fantastic although thats probably got a lot to do with it being like, a take on one of my favorite genres (westerns). Liked it a whole lot better than Inglorious. It was just great, it was engrossing, no part of it dragged, just totally had my attention the whole way through. Inglorious always seemed to me to be a very elaborate telling of a story that just didn't really hold my interest. Death Proof i thought was cool, Kill Bill was cool too although again sort of a case of not ever so interesting story to warrant the sort of length of it, Dogs is fuckin' undeniable as are Fiction and JB but this was fuckin' brilliant too, i mean i really really loved it :)

They used the fucking theme tune from the original Django, it was so cool :D Story was nothing the same though, really did love it to bits though, been ages since i really enjoyed a Tarantino movie.

I thought Samuel L Jacksons character sort of stole the show. Was really cool though, wanna go have a butchers in the cinema. And yeah, it owes more than a little to Mandingo and The Boss N**** Trilogy, Legend of N***** Charley, Boss N****** and The Soul of N***** Charley.

It's the only time i've ever seen a modern western i had any kinda respect for (though on a different level) since Unforgiven.

Edited by sugaraylen

It's definitely just another QT movie but this time he gave us the more subtle dialed down Tarantino like Jackie Brown.

I find kung fu movies, war movies, westerns pretty slow going anyway but I enjoyed it as much as any of his other movies more than his last few maybe. Obviously Dogs and Pulp it was fresher but there were still surprises with the hip hop tracks and the shoot outs were pretty liquified. I'm sure the blood splatter on the flowers is from Sukiyaki Western Django and wasn't Django more of a comical mud bath.

The main Tarantinoism parts were the Tooth on a spring, The line "You silver tongued devil you" and Tarantino getting blown up by dynamite.

Leo stole the show really. Dwayne Crowder turned up from Justified.

And he kind of made Howard's End in the middle of it, that must be another western I havent seen.

Guest Len B'stard

Leo was fantastic, as he always is, bless him. I love the line like "ahhh, so you insist? very well" and he turns around like BANG! and lays him out and he turns to Django like i'm sorry man but he was getting on my fuckin' tits, i thought that was great, made me laugh :)

the best bit was when Django rides off to kill everyone and that slave looks on admiringly like "go get em boy" (Dennis Pennis moment).

See to me that bit was good but it made the movie half an hour longer than it needed to be just for that one scene. I think it would have been much tighter if they'd just wrapped it up with the first big shootout rather going through all that stuff with the capture and wotnot.

.........was what I almost posted until I saw the final 15 minutes. :lol: Loved it! Fucking great movie! :)

Edited by Dazey