Django Unchained, new Tarantino flick

JONEZY

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hes always been pretty generous without having much of a story. I mean Dogs its just a heist gone wrong. Pulp ive never worked out what actially happened. Marcelius wants his briefcase back. Even Django why did they have this plan why not just kill everyone to begin with.

I didn't think that the writing was particularly tight - no stand out, memorable phrases. Moreover, the film just felt a little on the flat side - Fox/Foxx/Foxxx(how many Xs are there?) didn't feel as though he had much weight to him and Waltz's speech patterns were 100% the same as Hans Landa which, cool as Waltz is, just felt like a retread.

It's true the Tarantinoisms were more subtle, there were no drawing squares or dialogue that sounded like it came from QT himself - I think that's a good thing. Somehow how the comedy was more subtle, basically there's this nazi riding through the mud with a black dude in the deep south. There were no really cheesy one liners or trying really hard to be a badass speeches like The Bride did. It was almost a comedy of manners. Was there a foot massage motherfucker?

Has the era of motherfucker passed?

I absolutely loved it to bits! I thought it was the best thing he's done since Jackie Brown. It was just fantastic although thats probably got a lot to do with it being like, a take on one of my favorite genres (westerns). Liked it a whole lot better than Inglorious. It was just great, it was engrossing, no part of it dragged, just totally had my attention the whole way through. Inglorious always seemed to me to be a very elaborate telling of a story that just didn't really hold my interest. Death Proof i thought was cool, Kill Bill was cool too although again sort of a case of not ever so interesting story to warrant the sort of length of it, Dogs is fuckin' undeniable as are Fiction and JB but this was fuckin' brilliant too, i mean i really really loved it :)

They used the fucking theme tune from the original Django, it was so cool :D Story was nothing the same though, really did love it to bits though, been ages since i really enjoyed a Tarantino movie.

I thought Samuel L Jacksons character sort of stole the show. Was really cool though, wanna go have a butchers in the cinema. And yeah, it owes more than a little to Mandingo and The Boss N**** Trilogy, Legend of N***** Charley, Boss N****** and The Soul of N***** Charley.

It's the only time i've ever seen a modern western i had any kinda respect for (though on a different level) since Unforgiven.

I really enjoy westerns too len and I finally saw this last night. I agree with you a lot on this. What a great movie experience. Man it seemed like an hour passed and it was over. It was so cool to see QT take the western genre and pull it right out of its comfort zone and whack it upside the head as only he can.

What a disturbing, uncomfortable amazing ride that was...holy shit!

Dicaprio wasn't everything he was being hyped to be in this, but he was good.

The only aspect that sort of drew up out of the total immersion into the movie was QT showing up for a role, kinda took me out of the experience.

At least he blowed up reeeal good..lol.

Definitely will be getting the blu steelbook of this!

Having seen it a few more times its the dialogue that really works. Like mandingo fight scene or when they first get to Candyland.

I think the only way Pulp is better is just the scemes are tighter. Maybe its bcos he was just starting and didnt have the power to indulge. When you pack all his ideas in tight they have more impact. Since Kill Bill hes been cold lounging.

I absolutely loved it to bits! I thought it was the best thing he's done since Jackie Brown. It was just fantastic although thats probably got a lot to do with it being like, a take on one of my favorite genres (westerns). Liked it a whole lot better than Inglorious. It was just great, it was engrossing, no part of it dragged, just totally had my attention the whole way through. Inglorious always seemed to me to be a very elaborate telling of a story that just didn't really hold my interest. Death Proof i thought was cool, Kill Bill was cool too although again sort of a case of not ever so interesting story to warrant the sort of length of it, Dogs is fuckin' undeniable as are Fiction and JB but this was fuckin' brilliant too, i mean i really really loved it :)

They used the fucking theme tune from the original Django, it was so cool :D Story was nothing the same though, really did love it to bits though, been ages since i really enjoyed a Tarantino movie.

I thought Samuel L Jacksons character sort of stole the show. Was really cool though, wanna go have a butchers in the cinema. And yeah, it owes more than a little to Mandingo and The Boss N**** Trilogy, Legend of N***** Charley, Boss N****** and The Soul of N***** Charley.

It's the only time i've ever seen a modern western i had any kinda respect for (though on a different level) since Unforgiven.

I really enjoy westerns too len and I finally saw this last night. I agree with you a lot on this. What a great movie experience. Man it seemed like an hour passed and it was over. It was so cool to see QT take the western genre and pull it right out of its comfort zone and whack it upside the head as only he can.

What a disturbing, uncomfortable amazing ride that was...holy shit!

Dicaprio wasn't everything he was being hyped to be in this, but he was good.

The only aspect that sort of drew up out of the total immersion into the movie was QT showing up for a role, kinda took me out of the experience.

At least he blowed up reeeal good..lol.

Definitely will be getting the blu steelbook of this!

I don't think it detracted anything. Equally enjoyable role as in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction IMO.

I don't think it detracted anything. Equally enjoyable role as in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction IMO.

He was terrible in Pulp Fiction and Resorvoir Dogs too. In fact he's terrible every time he appears on screen. I'd agree completely with Zint, it detracted somewhat from the scene. The accent he was attempting was atrocious.

That aside I thought it was a great film. Really silly at times but I was expecting 'Tarantino does a western' and that's what I got.

Im pretty sure that the Australian scene is a homage to Sukiyaki Western Django. Also the blood splatter on the flowers. Some of the scenary shots early on had japanese feel like the steaming river.

Im sure the klan hood scene was lifted from Fletch 2.

Even watching the movie I thought he's really trying to make the violence real. It pretty dead pan, there's no staggering clutching your heart like in Naked Gun. And those splosh sounds as the bullets enter really emphasize that blood is a liquid at first. It's like he laid the ground work for the eventual debate.

• 3 weeks later...