Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

Guest Len B'stard

You need to hawk some of those bitches and sling some up here. Actually im jealous as fuck i wish i was there, hows the enterance work, reckon i could sneak in cuz im not far, it'd be worth popping down if i can get in sideways.

Hyde Park setlist (so far):

1. Start Me Up

2. It's Only Rock N Roll

3. Tumbling Dice

4. All Down The Line

5. Beast Of Burden

6. Doom And Gloom

7. Bitch (w/ Gary Clark Jr.)

8. Paint It Black

9. Honky Tonk Women

10. You Got The Silver

11. Before They Make Me Run

12. Miss You

13. Midnight Rambler (w/ Mick Taylor)

14. Gimme Shelter

15. Jumpin' Jack Flash

16. Sympathy For The Devil

17. Brown Sugar

---

18. You Can't Always Get What You Want (no choir?)

19. Satisfaction

Short setlist. Kinda meh too.

Dunno why they started at 20:15, especially with a Hyde Park curfew. Vaccines were a shit opener, really spoiled the mood. Enjoyed Gary Clark Jr.'s set, Temper Trap were OK, but again I had a much better time last week at Hard Rock Calling with Zac Brown Band, Alabama Shakes, Black Crowes, and Bruce Springsteen, who played for 3 hours. The whole "short set because it's a festival gig" is bollocks, they could have just been scheduled to come on earlier. Then again, I was knackered and glad it finished when it did.

Wasn't all bad, I did enjoy hearing some of my favourites (Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter, Miss You), though the crowd didn't go as crazy as I thought for Jumpin' Jack Flash. Mick Taylor was great.

Mick's still got it, great frontman, busting out all his classic crazy moves. Liked the stage setup and Mick's costume for Sympathy. Keef just looked really tired, was pretty funny when Mick did the band introduction and the screens showed Keef hiding behind the drum set having a fag. Ronnie got a great reception from the crowd, for a lot of people there they don't know a Rolling Stones without Ronnie Wood.

I can say I've seen them, now, but I won't bother seeing them again. I was into Bruce only a bit more than the Stones before I saw him at Wembley, and the beginning of that show was slow for me, but by the halfway point he'd won me over, and I felt like I was part of some religious experience, went home, and devoured his back catalogue. Didn't get the same feeling with the Stones :/

I kept thinking about GNR during the show, wondering if the AFD or UYI lineup was still together, if they'd be playing gigs like this, and how much would I enjoy them? I don't know, really. As much as I love Slash as a guitarist, I wouldn't want to see him play with Axl if they don't get along. I just didn't get any sense of chemistry between Mick and Keef.

So short :( Why so short? Also, crowd kind of static. Maybe due to age, maybe the heat, maybe having been there all day long (I only got there around 6:30), maybe all of the above.

Show was not bad, although it was a bit hard for me to enjoy it being so far from the stage. It looked a lot better from recordings from previous nights of the tour; it was also better in 2007. Maybe an off night.

So short :( Why so short? Also, crowd kind of static. Maybe due to age, maybe the heat, maybe having been there all day long (I only got there around 6:30), maybe all of the above.

Show was not bad, although it was a bit hard for me to enjoy it being so far from the stage. It looked a lot better from recordings from previous nights of the tour; it was also better in 2007. Maybe an off night.

Yeah, crowd as a lot of people who'd seen Stones' last gig at Hyde Park in '69, and their kids, so was never going to be terribly lively. I wasn't too far, got to see them up close when they strutted down the catwalk, but still couldn't get into it.

From what I have read they only had a 90 minute time slot hence the short setlist..........

From what I have read they only had a 90 minute time slot hence the short setlist..........

That's retarded. You've got The Rolling fucking Stones and you only give them 90 minutes? I hope someone got fired. Scratch that. I hope someone got the electric chair.

Dunno why they started at 20:15, especially with a Hyde Park curfew. Vaccines were a shit opener, really spoiled the mood. Enjoyed Gary Clark Jr.'s set, Temper Trap were OK, but again I had a much better time last week at Hard Rock Calling with Zac Brown Band, Alabama Shakes, Black Crowes, and Bruce Springsteen, who played for 3 hours. The whole "short set because it's a festival gig" is bollocks, they could have just been scheduled to come on earlier. Then again, I was knackered and glad it finished when it did.

Wasn't all bad, I did enjoy hearing some of my favourites (Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter, Miss You), though the crowd didn't go as crazy as I thought for Jumpin' Jack Flash. Mick Taylor was great.

Mick's still got it, great frontman, busting out all his classic crazy moves. Liked the stage setup and Mick's costume for Sympathy. Keef just looked really tired, was pretty funny when Mick did the band introduction and the screens showed Keef hiding behind the drum set having a fag. Ronnie got a great reception from the crowd, for a lot of people there they don't know a Rolling Stones without Ronnie Wood.

I can say I've seen them, now, but I won't bother seeing them again. I was into Bruce only a bit more than the Stones before I saw him at Wembley, and the beginning of that show was slow for me, but by the halfway point he'd won me over, and I felt like I was part of some religious experience, went home, and devoured his back catalogue. Didn't get the same feeling with the Stones :/

I kept thinking about GNR during the show, wondering if the AFD or UYI lineup was still together, if they'd be playing gigs like this, and how much would I enjoy them? I don't know, really. As much as I love Slash as a guitarist, I wouldn't want to see him play with Axl if they don't get along. I just didn't get any sense of chemistry between Mick and Keef.

I wouldn't judge the Stones from one show and a festival show at that........I have seen every Stones tour since 1975 and I thought the two Boston shows I went to were the best I have seen since the BtB tour in 1997.......if they do a European arena tour you should give it another go as I bet you will enjoy it more....

I do kind of wish I'd seen them at the O2 in November, especially with Florence Welch on Gimme Shelter and Clapton making an appearance, too. But it's a lot of money (this one was £105 face value, think O2 shows were £95), and I'd much rather spend that money on seeing acts like The Boss. I don't think today should have really counted as a festival show, it's not like Glastonbury where there are loads of acts people come to see, today was all about the Stones and they disappointed. Mick's still jumping up and down but the rest of the band just look tired, I don't see how they can keep touring.

Nobody came to see The Vaccines. 90 minute excuse is bullshit, though tbf they played just over 2 hours.

Considering where I read it I doubt it is bullshit.....considering they played over 2 hours every show in the US why would they only play 90 minutes at such a historic show unless that is what was contracted?

Shame you didn't enjoy it more - they really are an incredible live band. I've seen 1 stadium gig and 2 arena gigs, and the arena gigs were much better, so I'd echo the sentiments that if they do anymore arena gigs in Europe they're well worth checking out again.

You are spot on that Mick and Keef don't really interact anymore...it's very much a working relationship.

Nobody came to see The Vaccines. 90 minute excuse is bullshit, though tbf they played just over 2 hours.

Considering where I read it I doubt it is bullshit.....considering they played over 2 hours every show in the US why would they only play 90 minutes at such a historic show unless that is what was contracted?

Pretty sure they played just about 2 hours, 20:15-22:15. Encore started at 22:00.

Shame you didn't enjoy it more - they really are an incredible live band. I've seen 1 stadium gig and 2 arena gigs, and the arena gigs were much better, so I'd echo the sentiments that if they do anymore arena gigs in Europe they're well worth checking out again.

You are spot on that Mick and Keef don't really interact anymore...it's very much a working relationship.

Yeah, only stadium gig I've been to before was Bruce at Wembley, and I enjoyed him more the 2nd time at Olympic Park when I got closer, but he could still rock a stadium. Usually gotten closer at festivals, too, but was with friends so was further back, today, but not miles away. And the lack of chemistry kills it for me; I loved seeing Bruce interact with Stevie and the rest of the E Street Band. I couldn't name any one of them before I saw my first show and now I know at least half of the band's names.

I do kind of wish I'd seen them at the O2 in November, especially with Florence Welch on Gimme Shelter and Clapton making an appearance, too. But it's a lot of money (this one was £105 face value, think O2 shows were £95), and I'd much rather spend that money on seeing acts like The Boss. I don't think today should have really counted as a festival show, it's not like Glastonbury where there are loads of acts people come to see, today was all about the Stones and they disappointed. Mick's still jumping up and down but the rest of the band just look tired, I don't see how they can keep touring.

LOL, those ticket prices are dirt cheap for a Stones show. Good tix for the recent US tour were 400 pounds unless you lucked out with the 57 pound mystery tickets...which I did and had great seats........The Boss puts on an amazing show, and I have seen him many times, but I would rather see the Stones any day.....too each his own.....

What is it you prefer about the Stones shows to Springsteen's? I guess I'm not a mega-huge blues/blues-rock fan and you are (I lean more to the classic rock stuff), so there's that.

Only show that I'd pay £400 for is an AFD/UYI GNR show.

Pretty sure they played just about 2 hours, 20:15-22:15. Encore started at 22:00.

Yeah, only stadium gig I've been to before was Bruce at Wembley, and I enjoyed him more the 2nd time at Olympic Park when I got closer, but he could still rock a stadium. Usually gotten closer at festivals, too, but was with friends so was further back, today, but not miles away. And the lack of chemistry kills it for me; I loved seeing Bruce interact with Stevie and the rest of the E Street Band. I couldn't name any one of them before I saw my first show and now I know at least half of the band's names.

If they played around 2 hours then that is about right but I found their arena shows to be much better than their outdoor show which tend to be generic greatest hits setlists........maybe Hyde Park was just an average show...not every show is a homerun.......

What is it you prefer about the Stones shows to Springsteen's? I guess I'm not a mega-huge blues/blues-rock fan and you are (I lean more to the classic rock stuff), so there's that.

Only show that I'd pay £400 for is an AFD/UYI GNR show.

Don't get me wrong I love Bruce too but for me there is just something magic about seeing the Stones. It is not just a concert it is an event for me.......there is no right or wrong here just different tastes.......

The Toronto SARS concert was the worst Stones gig I ever saw.

Outdoors and 300,000 + people..it just loses the magic.

I was heading for the exit before they were done.

Anything over arena with the Stones, and the magic of the intimacy diminishes.

I saw Sprinsteen once, late 80's...dug it but had no desire to see him again.

Just doesn't have the it factor that appeals to me.

Here, I loved how Bruce joked with the crowd, and it was a unique choice of set closer. I checked out the studio version of the track when I got home, and it was pants :P But that's what I love about his shows, he can completely revitalise average studio songs into magical live performances. Funny thing is seeing fans bitching on Springsteen forums because he "only" played 3 hours and had already played Born in the USA from start to finish at Paris the night before (???!!!).

ZeZYTiP.jpg

1010265_10100130774553912_429213631_n.jp

This is how close I was at Stones gig when Jagger would walk down catwalk, and I wasn't much further from stage than Springsteen at Wembley for the rest of the show. I've never really been able to get into a show while I've been seated, so if they did an arena show I'd still try and go standing.

To each their own, but to me the Stones show seemed much more workmanlike that the Bruce show. Keef just seemed really tired. Could have just been an off night, GivenToFly was there and said recordings of shows from previous nights looked better.

Another problem is that Rolling Stones song don't lend themselves well to big outdoors venues, like Bruce Springsteen or ACDC music for example does. It's just a different breed of rock'n'roll. I think a Rolling Stones show would work very well in a smaller setting, but there's not much chance of that for a band with so many fans who all want to see the show. The only times I've seen them were on a stadium and at this festival, so I'm only speculating based on recordings.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother seeing anyone other than Springsteen or maybe AC/DC at a stadium, though obviously it's not my venue of choice. Like you said, I don't think the bands or the fans care much for stadiums over arenas etc., but it's a case of catering to huge demand.

I've been hearing rumors about Rod Stewart, Ron and Jeff Beck doing a tour for a while. It might not be on the Rolling Stones level of excitement, but a Faces/Jeff Beck Group reunion tour would definitely generate a lot of interest. Rod said the problem's been coordinating with Ronnie because when one of them had free time, the other one was in the studio or touring, but Rod had said recently that he doesn't see the Stones doing this tour for much longer.

The Stones aren't going to announce a farewell show or a farewell tour, they're going to leave it open for future possibilities. I think Charlie and Keith are feeling like this is the last big go round, and Mick seems more into working with other musicians, but the Stones is an easy thing for him to do, for the ridiculous amount of money they get. I had thought they were going to do more theater-size tours and have Bill Wyman & Mick Taylor do more shows with them, than what has happened.

All the shows were recorded, so I'm sure we'll be getting a DVD before the year's out.