Exile on Main Street vs. Physical Graffiti

Vincent Vega

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I haven't heard much RATM besides what is on the radio and tv. But they're the ones who chose the rather limited terms -- 'politically inspired' image, etc -- under which they want to operate, which gives them that polarizing effect, not me. They're simply not interested in fans like me, so fuck them.

Edited by machinegunner

Its true like Radiohead once you go down that path you alienate a wider audience. If they wanted to sell more records theyd sing about beer and titties. But musically what they do is pretty powerful. But as you get older all you want is a lazy boy and the smooth dulcet tones of Chris Rea.

Edited by wasted

I think it's too simplistic to say they were like the Stones, the guitar on AFD is much more expansive and wild. Maybe not Zepp but AC/DC, Aerosmith at least.

Some songs, especially Izzy ones sound very Stonesy. But something like Bad Obsession has a much bigger riff than any Stones song. I think the dynamics of GNR are much more Zeppelin, the variety of material and epics like Locomotive, Estranged. But there's a definite Stones influence across the first three records at least.

I was just thing Californication is this loose sleazy record and UYI II and big OTT monster. But I've got a fever so I could be way off.

Appetite is more like the Stones mate, bluesy sleazy rock n' roll. If Guns sang about 'elves' I would take my cds and fling them in the bin. Have you heard Mr Brownstone? That song is the sequel to Sister Morphine.

You are like a broken record, they only had a couple of songs based off of lotr. I thought we already established that.

Zeppelin kicks the stones ass any day of the week. At least page is respected by his peers. Chuck berry ragged the fuck out of richards in hail hail rock and roll.

Wasted, we can agree that they went in a more expansive 'Zeppelin' direction on Use Your Illusion (Locomotive, Coma, Civil War - although the main riff is more, Hendrix).

Appetite is more like the Stones mate, bluesy sleazy rock n' roll. If Guns sang about 'elves' I would take my cds and fling them in the bin. Have you heard Mr Brownstone? That song is the sequel to Sister Morphine.

You are like a broken record, they only had a couple of songs based off of lotr. I thought we already established that.

Zeppelin kicks the stones ass any day of the week. At least page is respected by his peers. Chuck berry ragged the fuck out of richards in hail hail rock and roll.

It doesn't have to be elves. Have you heard the lyrics in Stairway? They are absolute garbage. Even Plant hates the song.

I love Hail Hail. Richards was in Berry's band and Richards put the whole thing together so Berry must have respected him. That was just banter between them - what we call in the uk, piss-pulling. That scene where Berry misunderstands Keith is gold dust. I love it. Love that whole film.

Guest Len B'stard

I think Richards was a twat and Berry put him in his place a couple of times too, didn't Berry give

Him a smack once? :lol: I like The Stones music but i don't like their attitudes, come off as nobheads, especially Keith...then again, what the fuck business of mine is his personality, the musics what matters end of the day.

Ultimately if a band is any good they arent like anyone else really. Thats why I like Right Next Door fo Hell, you hear Duffs bass and Slashs guitar and Axl comes steaming in, its not like Zepp, Stones or anyone else its Guns N Roses.

Axl definitely writes more Stones lyrics, its not pagan fantasy stuff.

Keith was tasked with doing a proper Chuck Berry concert for his 60th, to have something of decent quality recorded and filmed - trying to get Chuck to go with the program was difficult, and part of that has to do with what happens to some bands, they get used to playing songs a certain way over time, and moved away from the way he did it on the albums.

I never thought of GNR as the next Stones or Aerosmith. I think of them and Janes Addiction of the next wave in rock.

Mr Brownstone has nothing to do with Sister Morphine and everything to do with Bo Diddley, another influence on the Stones and a good friend to Ron Wood.

And damn, you can hear the guitars just looking at this photo:

Chuck+Berry++Bo+Diddley+chuckbo.jpg

Guest Len B'stard

It's all about Chuck fuckin' Berry end of the day, i'll have him over The Stones AND Zep given the choice, everybody covers him but no one can quite make that two string riff thing swing quite the way he does. He makes it all sound so crisp and clear and tonal too. And Bo Diddley is underappreciated and under-respected.

There's this clip on youtube where they are asking him about opening for The Clash and he more or less said they were a load of bollocks basically :lol:

Wasted, we can agree that they went in an more expansive 'Zeppelin' direction on Use Your Illusion (Locomotive, Coma, Civil War - although the main riff is more, Hendrix).

It doesn't have to be elves. Have you heard the lyrics in Stairway? They are absolute garbage. Even Plant hates the song.

I would like to see or hear plant say he hates that song.

I don't think the lyrics are garbage at all, its a very powerful message. Everybody is taking their own path to find there way to heaven. Some think its money, like "the lady who's sure all that glitters is gold". But for the most part, the song is about the band, and robert I guess. His experiences, asking himself if its all worth it? "And as we whined on down the road, our shadows taller than our souls. We ask the lady we all know, who shines white light and wants to show, if everything still turns to gold, and if we listen very hard hard, the tune will come to you at last, when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll. And she's buying a stairway to heaven."

This whole phrase in the song remindes me of my original point, that zeppelin are way more true blues artists than the stones are. Plant is eluding to a deal with the devil likerobert johnson made. Our shadows taller than our souls means their mistakes, or the fact they made a "deal" is becoming clear that the reward (fame, fourtune) isn't worth the price they paid (their souls, afterlife). The lady is obviously the same lady that also choose material wealth over her soul.

The lyrics to this song are incredable. It's like figuring out a riddle, but at the same time you just have to listen because its all right there. When plant talks about the song today, he hears his 25 or however old self. He knows what his choices then have cost him now, mainly his son. So if he doesn't like it anymore, its because he has regrets in his life. Not the song per say, why do you think he has such reservations about led zeppelin? He has had fame and fourtune but its cost him a lot, and he just doesn't want that life anymore. I can respect that.

Some of plant's lyrics are very honest and extremely heart felt (all my love for example) while others are just for fun (ramble on). But just because you haven't taken the time to really listen to what's going on doesn't make the cheezy or stupid. Robert plant has written some of the best lyrics in the history of rock music, period.

Guest Len B'stard

I think, all of the British Blues artists, when it suited them flip-flopped on the whole allegiance to the blues thing. The minute they are slightly ridiculed (rightly or wrongly, it's up to you) the explanation assigned is that what they are engaging in is basically parody. The only way people like Mick Jagger, way on into the 1970s, could justify to all his posh mates exactly what he was doing up onstage looking borderline homosexual (as the times would've interpreted it) preening and prancing and putting on the voice of an American black man as a young white guy from England, was irony or parody.

Thats why The Beatles doing Yer Blues was brilliant cuz firstly it's RIGHT into what the blues is about lyrically, "lonely, wanna die", just broke it down to it's most basic pure compound and the titles basically taking the piss like, to be honest, we don't give a fuck about whether this is PURE blues and the wonderful result of that is a song that, i think, trumps every other British Blues artistses attempt at it, simply because it was so singular and so purely theirs. The lyrics though, just perfect, just wonderful...absolutely bang on, just taking it to the raw heart of the blues with no fuckin' around.

But honestly, if i was to say one band came closer to nailing the blues thing, out of these two, it'd probably be The Stones for me, simply because their songs hit the mark more. There was a lot more to what Zep did, it was a potion with many an ingridient, i don't think i've ever heard them sounding PURE blues like i have with The Stones.

Everything always sounded so crammed in with Zep? It just doesn't feel loose and free and easy and rollicking like the blues should, loose and hard, Zep were either frantic (and good at it) or they sort of started to plod. A lot of that has to do with dear ol' Charlie Watts, who was getting a bit of stick earlier, and the way he swings as a drummer. Keith is very much about the spaces between the chords, loose-ness, he's like the guitar playing equivalent of Paul Newman in The Hustler.

Also, Page doesn't appear to have much of an aptitude for composition, great guitar player though he is.

Edited by sugaraylen

I meant lyrically. Sister Morphine certainly inspired Mr Brownstone lyrically.

Plant has been very vocal about his hatred of Stairway. Apparently it was like pulling teeth trying to get Plant to play it. I am not even a Zep fan yet even I know this! It is very well know.