Exile on Main Street vs. Physical Graffiti

Vincent Vega

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fights break out at Jimmy Buffett concerts. Booze brings the asshole element out of a person. I don't get why anyone should get hassled at a show when you're all there paying customers to enjoy a show. I'd fire off a really nasty letter to band management about what happened and that you would never go back to a show - and exaggerate things a bit on what happened. Send a photo, email, phone number for contact. If nothing comes out of it, so be it but it's worth a try.

I don't like people I don't know at a show being my pal or pushing into me, or just because it's general admission, feels the need to block my view of the stage. I just want to enjoy the show.

Shows where there's a lot of weed smokers seem to be far better. Rap had extra security because they worried rival gangs were going to show up to a concert. It rarely happens, but it has happened. That's why few rap acts were able to play clubs for years, and wound up making tour money in Europe and Asia.

The thread was a debate about albums, it took a sharp left turn though.

The one fight everyone at a show seems to enjoy are catfights...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Fights break out at Jimmy Buffett concerts. Booze brings the asshole element out of a person. I don't get why anyone should get hassled at a show when you're all there paying customers to enjoy a show. I'd fire off a really nasty letter to band management about what happened and that you would never go back to a show - and exaggerate things a bit on what happened. Send a photo, email, phone number for contact. If nothing comes out of it, so be it but it's worth a try.

I'd rather just offer em to come outside to be honest, i ain't a 43 yr old soccer mum complaining about bad language on pre-watershed hours, i'm a fuckin' grown man, i'm only mentioning it now because it was pertinent to what another poster was saying, i don't cry and complain about this stuff or even particularly consider it that big of a deal or that i was hugely wronged or anything, just people being cunts, i'd rather derive my satisfaction by giving those sorts of people exactly what they're asking for.

out of curiosity, how outwardly apparent was your fondness for 70s rock? Did you talk about it, did you have a lot of mates that were into it, were that group of mates reflective of the majority where you're from?

You had people who would only listen to rap or only listen to metal, but most people listened to a variety of stuff. There wasn't as much division here.

You kinda didn't answer my question there fella.

I didn't dress like I was into a particular brand of music when I was in High School. The Wigger thread was more of a cupcake thread. We would talk about whatever it was we listened to, but it wasn't that big of a deal. We might get high and listen to zep or we might get high and listen to Pac. But most of the time we would get high and listen to a bit of both.

That's exactly how it was for me. And I had arabic and asian friends and they all liked everything from zeppelin to floyd to outkast to pac. Ok so ya not many african americans listened to rock, ill give you that. But the rest, like what they like. America is a melting pot for a reason, and it still holds true to this day. I find it a little intresting that both randy and I agree, and we are american. Yet the uk folk disagree, but they have probably never even been here.

Guest Len B'stard

The UK folk have all been there except me

And Randy ain't American.

Englands as much of a melting pot, probably more its just a lot more compartmentalised i think, over here we have communities with really strong identities.

Edited by sugaraylen

England had no answer for gangster rap.

Agreed again!

Id go so far as to say that its cheezy as fuck when anyone from europe even tries to rap.

And sugar that's beside the point anyways. Just because you've visited doesn't mean you are well aware of the trends. And to be honest all the trends are very over popularized in the media and films. Take the whole techno scene for example, sure some kids really liked it, but not to the extent it was shown to be. Most kids that I knew only listened to that shit at clubs or actual raves. It wasn't the music they listened to everyday. It was basically only good when you were on x. And once the whole extasy craze started dying down, so did that scene. But if you watch a movie you'd think everybody was into raves and x. Fiction represents reality sometimes, but it is often over generalized.

Edited by Mike420

Guest Len B'stard

Agreed again!

Id go so far as to say that its cheezy as fuck when anyone from europe even tries to rap.

And that's beside the point anyways.

As i previously stated they do have an answer and that answer is the jamaican community, the people that invented what is today known as hip hop were talking over recycled beats with rhyming words as far back as the early 70s.

Agreed again!

As i previously stated they do have an answer and that answer is the jamaican community, the people that invented what is today known as hip hop were talking over recycled beats with rhyming words as far back as the early 70s.

You have no proof of that being the origin of hip hop, just therioes. The scene started in new york by groups like the sugar hill gang, also in the 70's. Untill I hear different from any actual source I discredit that theory.

And fyi punk also started in ny by the ramones. The sex pistols even admit that.

Guest Len B'stard

Agreed again!

You have no proof of that being the origin of hip hop, just therioes. The scene started in new york by groups like the sugar hill gang, also in the 70's. Untill I hear different from any actual source I discredit that theory.

And fyi punk also started in ny by the ramones. The sex pistols even admit that.

With respect there, you're wrong, hip hop was started by DJ Kool Herc in The Bronx, he was the first DJ to mix two discs together like that and create new matierial over which people start rhyming words and hence you have hip hop. DJ Kool Herc was a Jamaican immigrant who imported over from Jamaica what had been going on there for years which was they took popular songs, popular old songs and wiped the lyrics out and played them at Sound System parties and mixed them together after which DJs invented a thing which was initially called toasting, which was them talking over the aforementioned track whilst rhyming the words and this had been bought over in England for many years before it became popular in America...and thats a fact, look it up, look up Dub Reggae, look up toasting, look up Kool Herc and where he came from.

It's not a theory, it's just straight fact.

And as far as The Ramones inventing punk, i adore The Ramones, i think they're amazing but they never had any qualms about admitting that all they were and all they wanted to be was like an old time rock n roll band, like a 50s pop thing only just a helluva lot faster because thats just the way they played. And which Sex Pistol said they invented it?

"Rap developed both inside and outside of hip hop culture, and began in America in earnest with the street parties thrown in the Bronx neighborhood of New York in the 1970s by Kool Herc and others—Jamaican born DJ Clive "Kool Herc" Campbell is credited as being highly influential in the pioneering stage of hip hop music,[17] Herc created the blueprint for hip hop music and culture by building upon the Jamaican tradition of impromptu toasting, boastful poetry and speech over music.[18] This became Emceeing"

Thats from the wiki page on hip hop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop

Edited by sugaraylen

Even if the numbers getting fewer, it's a case of taking a teaspoon out of the ocean. You gotta think, that stuft's still around for a reason, and it's not because people are leaving it behind.

Well i'm glad we've at least got someone to admit to the fuckin' shit, through gritted teeth if nothing else :lol: It's just reality man, it's not a negative reflection on the shit, it's not to say that it's maybe lesser than something, it's just a fact when shit gets older it ain't at the forefront anymore, it just happens. Yeah Randy people'll be listening to it in a 100 years just like people somewhere are probably listening to Leadbelly too right now but that don't make it the music of the day, does it?

OK, no one said it's gonna fade and die, no one said it's been wiped off the face of the earth, i was just making a really simple and obvious point, based on your saying that Zeppelin had a universal appeal to the point of being equivalent to "hugs and chocolate" which was you trying MASSIVELY to overstate the importance of your favorite band in the modern age.

And you can say what you like about record sales and the millions that are sold (or were once sold) but at the same time, a lot of people have been born in the last however many decades have passed since Zep were around and those people make up a lot or the majority of what the market for music is today and those people are the young of this (and couple of the preceeding generations) and hey, newsflash, they ain't all being born with parents whoose record collections consist of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyds greatest hits and fewer still are going into schools and hanging out with their mates down the park and getting passed a copy of Led Zeppelin III, rarely do you see someone driving through a fuckin' neighbourhood listenin' to Bon Ur Stomp or whatever the fuck it's called, bobbin' their fuckin' head or whatever, it's just reality man, it's whats happenin' today, i'm sorry if that bothers anybody but i didn't fuckin' make it, i'm just callin' it.

Teaspoon outta the ocean, more like the Zep fans are the teaspoon and the oceans getting bigger with each generation, that analogy fits a bit more accurately i'd say. It's amazing people and their ability to fuckin' delude themselves. And to what ends too, i don't understand why it's done. I mean, what do you achieve by blagging yourself like that? I mean i love The Sex Pistols but i don't walk around thinking that they seriously are as relevant now to people and kids today as they were in 1977, no matter how much i love them and how many albums i have and gigs i've seen, why would i do that, do you think it makes them better in your mind or...? I dunno, i'd like that explained to me.

After a while, when no ones listening to bands anymore, even the term MOST POPULAR band begins to lose some of it's weight, don't you think?

I looked a little while ago and Zeppelin was on the cover of Rolling Stone. Another time not too long ago it was Jimmy Page. They were all over the news in the last few months, and I bet you if they played together again, it would be on a lot of people's wishlist to go, again. Seems like there's always something making waves about them, from then on if you get new people to listen... instant sale. It keeps rebirthing to each generation. You're gonna have to go far and wide to find people that don't know the name.

As I was saying before, that stuff is still around for a reason, and a big part of it is, modern music has such a short shelf life. I can't imagine too many names of today, that we're still going to be talking about 30 years on, but I bet you Zeppelin will still get played.

Edited by moreblack

But that is no different from The Stones (or most other old bands). The Stones are doing this as we speak. The anniversary tour (with Mick Taylor), the Crossfire Hurricane and Charlie is My Darling documentaries, The Stones in Exile doc and the bonus tracks on the new version of Exile, Richards' biography.....

The same can be applied to any oldies act, Floyd, Elvis, Hendrix (who has a new album out!) - take your pick.

You mentioned Mothership. That is merely a cash in greatest hits album. That is nothing to be proud or excited about!! The Stones have also released two cash in hits albums in the last decade (40 licks and grrr). Those are not something to be proud of either but they both contain new songs.

And then there's the box sets. Part of the deal is whenever the new technology for listening comes around, they never get it right in the first try. I remember the 1990 box set had to be done because the early CD versions of the albums sounded really really off.

A Pink Floyd explosion happens every now and then too, there was the whole Division Bell tour and the fact that they were doing all of DSOTM during the show, then the Wall anniversary and re-release of the movie, followed by the Live 8 reunion, and then Waters decided to tour DSOTM on his own, and then do all of The Wall on tour.

Edited by moreblack

out of curiosity, how outwardly apparent was your fondness for 70s rock? Did you talk about it, did you have a lot of mates that were into it, were that group of mates reflective of the majority where you're from?

You had people who would only listen to rap or only listen to metal, but most people listened to a variety of stuff. There wasn't as much division here.

You kinda didn't answer my question there fella.

I didn't dress like I was into a particular brand of music when I was in High School. The Wigger thread was more of a cupcake thread. We would talk about whatever it was we listened to, but it wasn't that big of a deal. We might get high and listen to zep or we might get high and listen to Pac. But most of the time we would get high and listen to a bit of both.

That's exactly how it was for me. And I had arabic and asian friends and they all liked everything from zeppelin to floyd to outkast to pac. Ok so ya not many african americans listened to rock, ill give you that. But the rest, like what they like. America is a melting pot for a reason, and it still holds true to this day. I find it a little intresting that both randy and I agree, and we are american. Yet the uk folk disagree, but they have probably never even been here.

I'm actually from Canada. Washington State is closer to where I live than any other Canadian province. Seattle is only a 3 hour ferry ride away. I grew up listening to Seattle radio stations. And everyone here listened to all the groups you mentioned. Lenny seems to think that Britain is the center of the world, but in reality his country is nowhere near as big as most of our provinces and states, land mass wise.

Edited by Randy Lahey

In the UK there's Trip Hop, Drum and Bass and Big Beat.

Chemical Brothers, Orbital. You could definitley have people into Oasis, Chemical Brother, Roni Size, Portishead

The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy had a few hits here back in 97, and it seemed for awhile that they were going to usher in the next wave of new music, but then the record companies seemed to decide that they were going to push Britney and the Backstreet Boys instead. Morning Glory did well in America, but Noel and Liam fucked themselves by dissing the Americans and walking out on that tour. And then Nu Metal came along and we were into that era.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I think American music has been absolutely wretched beginning with grunge which then morphed into an even worse form of music, Nu-Metal. All this stuff, the whole American 'baggy jeans' scene, was garbage. Just crap. Lousey unkempt hair, Nirvana smiley face tops, nose piercings - horrible. Thank god for Great Britain for saving the world yet again and providing us with Oasis and Blur. I would even take the Spice Girls over Korn and Limp Biscuits and Pearl Jam.

I think American music has been absolutely wretched beginning with grunge which then morphed into an even worse form of music, Nu-Metal. All this stuff, the whole American 'baggy jeans' scene, was garbage. Just crap. Lousey unkempt hair, Nirvana smiley face tops, nose piercings - horrible. Thank god for Great Britain for saving the world yet again and providing us with Oasis and Blur. I would even take the Spice Girls over Korn and Limp Biscuits and Pearl Jam.

What's wrong with Pearl Jam?

I think thats what I saying about hip hop and country, the US always has its own thing. UK is very dance oriented. The US hasnt been influenced by the UK at all. I dont see the dance influence anywhere. Only U2, Radiohead and Coldplay ever made it and they are like saddest bands in UK music.