Exile on Main Street vs. Physical Graffiti

Vincent Vega

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To add to the discussion you guys have been having: I agree with Lenny that rock is not big today, but I also agree with Moreblack and Randy Lahey that there is something of a universal appeal to it. Most people don't care much about the music they listen to or about genres, they just listen to whatever plays in clubs. But there's also some stuff that everyone listens to at least once in a while. If you look at most people's music on their computer it'll mostly be recently released songs plus a few older ones, and that often includes some rock classics, along with pop classics from like 70s and other music that most people would recognize when they hear it (e.g. who doesn't know Stand By Me or Bohemian Rhapsody?). They won't be fans of the artists though. Take GNR for example, lots of people, mostly girls, will have one or two songs on their hard drive but it will be Don't Cry and Sweet Child, not Brownstone or YCBM, and they'll go "Oh, Guns N Roses? I LOOOOOVE Guns N Roses :X:X:X" or whatever, and Randy will hear it and say, there! another person who likes them! universal appeal! Don't DJs in clubs usually mix the odd rock classic into their set?

I think even one song that millions know decades after it's been released should be enough for an artist or band to be proud of they've accomplished.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only U2, Radiohead and Coldplay ever made it and they are like saddest bands in UK music.

You are going to upset some Irish people with a statement like that!!

Thank god for Great Britain for saving the world yet again and providing us with Oasis and Blur.

I'm not sure that's something to be proud of! :lol:

I would take any of those bands over the baggy jeans suicide kids that American seemed to be producing at the same time.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Only U2, Radiohead and Coldplay ever made it and they are like saddest bands in UK music.

You are going to upset some Irish people with a statement like that!!
Its not that their irish its just the core of U2 isnt that interesting but they know who to steal from. Edited by wasted

Ill go on record and say I like coldplay and radiohead but blur fucking sucks. And oasis are one album wonders.

And u2 are the most overrated, boring band ever.

But you all have missed the best band of that era, rage against the machine pisses on all of them! Oh and they are from the usa.

Edited by Mike420

Ill go on record and say I like coldplay and radiohead but blur fucking sucks. And oasis are one album wonders.

But you all have missed the best band of that era, rage against the machine pisses on all of them! Oh and they are from the usa.

You are entitled to your own opinion, however Oasis had two big albums.

You are entitled to your own opinion, however Oasis had two big albums.
They had three.

Guest Len B'stard

Depending on your definition of big you could say they were all pretty fuckin' big, if i'm not mistaken they all went at least platinum, didn't they? Be Here Now sold 8 millions records i heard. And Morning Glory was through the roof too. Same for Def Maybe.

Depending on your definition of big you could say they were all pretty fuckin' big, if i'm not mistaken they all went at least platinum, didn't they? Be Here Now sold 8 millions records i heard. And Morning Glory was through the roof too. Same for Def Maybe.

I fucking rate Be Here Now. I was in the line at HMV back in 97 when if came out and barring a couple of clunkers (looking at you My Big Mouth) it's an absolute belter of a record.

RATM are truly horrible.

Let's see, great riffs, unique guitar solos, solid rhythm section, politcally inspired lyrics, and just plain rocking out. I can see how some wouldn't like all of that.

And oasis only had 1 big album in this country. So before you say massive hits you might want to see how they did outside of england.

Guest Len B'stard

RATM are truly horrible.

Never could get with em, kinda contrived feeling.

I fucking rate Be Here Now. I was in the line at HMV back in 97 when if came out and barring a couple of clunkers (looking at you My Big Mouth) it's an absolute belter of a record.

It almost didn't matter how good it was (and it was very), it werent morning glory n thats what was wanted from em.

RATM are truly horrible.

Let's see, great riffs, unique guitar solos, solid rhythm section, politcally inspired lyrics, and just plain rocking out. I can see how some wouldn't like all of that.

And oasis only had 1 big album in this country. So before you say massive hits you might want to see how they did outside of england.

Yeah, you really really should, look up worldwide sales on em ;)

RATM are truly horrible.

They were no joke. One of the few bands along with Tool that had their own sound in that decade of mediocrity.

RATM are truly horrible.

They were no joke. One of the few bands along with Tool that had their own sound in that decade of mediocrity.

Tom Morello's recommendation of early 90s music in LA, the last of the Sunset Strip bands: The Nymphs, Burning Tree, and Liquid Jesus.

I liked Concrete Blonde and Black Crowes a lot as far as that period of time goes.

Edited by dalsh327

RATM are truly horrible.

Politically-inspired lyics is hardly an attribute in and of itself... in fact very few artists really do going there justice and RATM are not one of them -- as Len said it comes across very contrived. They kind of rouse up the crowd on some issue loaded with emotion with not much critical thinking involved.... it's similar with someone like Billy Bragg who is guilty of exactly the same thing, it becomes his shtick...

Don't really know enough about The Clash to accuse them of the same thing, but as far as I can see atm even they are a bit suspect in that regard...

They would do well to learn from the master...

tumblr_lkn1he9bZh1qz8911o1_400.gif?13420

Not only did he make you think, he made you laugh.