Kanye West Thread

Deepest Shame

For those that care, my track by track on second listen: (regular album portion is probably a 5 or 6 out of 10, bonus portion is like an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me)

Ultralight Beam: better than the SNL performance for me. I THINK the SNL one had way more autotune, so I'm happy this one has less, and its just easier to follow on the studio version. I still don't love that there's so much of it thats not Kanye, since it seems like that should be more a Good Music release. But in fairness, the other bits are pretty good and the Kanye bits are pretty classic Kanye. Interesting opener, but good song. 

Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1: didn't really like any of it. Didn't hate it, but just didn't really go anywhere for me.

Pt. 2: Kind of more of the same. Maybe it'll grow. I do like that the songs are kind of short though. Easier to digest. I did get a kick out of the end that was straight out of Yeezus.

Famous: The first out and out Kanye song to me. A kind of sampling of his whole career in a way, but his verses are classic Kanye to me. Nice to hear after awhile. Loved the “Wake Up Mr. West” sample. If anything, it ends a little too quickly before properly building to something, which seems to be a trend with these songs. Good ideas but poor execution that makes Kanye material good to great. JUST as Zeppelin said.

Feedback: Eh, can’t make much of it yet. I did like the “name me a famous person that ain’t crazy” line. The best part is the end, but then again it was kind of just a regurgitation of what was Blood On The Leaves done not as well. The Oprah part was a nice touch.

Low Lights: Worthless to me, although I guess its essentially an interlude. I can’t quite place where I’ve heard that little keyboard part that pops up every 5 seconds, but definitely think I’ve heard it before and having a brainfart.

On second listen around, its actually pretty easy to get through, if you’re just listening up till Wolves at least as the real album.

Highlights: Great song. Really liked the autotune Kanye does at the beginning/chorus. Just occurring to me this is the song I liked on SNL. Lots of great lines.

Freestyle 4: Decent, but I guess its not really supposed to be anything more than spontaneous.

I Love Kanye: that song he did during the SNL Digital Short that I actually thought was better than the rest of what he did on the show. Works perfectly here as a 45 second piece IMO.

Waves: Great song. I agree with whoever Kanye said that this should have been the title. Better title and the song sounds kind of like a good title track, if that makes any sense at all.

FML: Decent, and gets better as it goes on, but never really reaches the peak I think it should. Sounds like a missed opportunity but overall it sounds like it could grow on me.

Real Friends: Good, and probably a classic, but still gonna take a couple of listens for me. After this full listen I’ll probably start listening to sections in order to really dig into each track.

Wolves: almost the same as Real Friends. Gonna have to give it a few more spins.

Silver Surfer Interlude: Beginning of the bonuses. Uttlerly pointless.

30 Hours: Pretty great. Not much to say cause I’m losing steam, but really liked it.

No More Parties In LA: fucking great. LOVE the New God Flow sample, and Kendrick fucking destroys it, which I think makes Kanye’s following verse better too. Sounds like a great rap battle.

Facts: Right, I’ve heard this too. Here’s what I wrote in this thread on January 1st and I still agree with it. “Fuckin’ excellent. The Cosby/Harvey line is fucking genius and shows how recent this brilliance was.” (the Harvey thing had JUST happened)

Fade: For some reason, I really liked the groove a lot and thought Kanye’s vocals towards the end got great.

OK, so obviously every bonus track was fucking great. The post Wolves portion made up for the rest of the album seeming half baked.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

2 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I give Yeezus a 9/10, only because I'm not a huge fan of Guilt Trip and it never grew on me.

Everything else is great though and On Sight is still the GOAT opener.

Yeah, Yeezus is pretty flawless to me. The best songs I love are Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Blood On The Leaves and Bound 2 (despite the fact that after the video it kind of became overplayed but its an excellent song). Thats half the album right there. The other half is On Sight (a great opener), I Am A God (just below the "best" songs for me) and Hold My Liquor which are all pretty great. I can understand the dislike for songs like I'm In It, Guilt Trip and Send It Up, which admittedly are not favorites although they all did grow on me as part of the record. Were it a longer record, I'd probably rate it lower. But because its so perfectly concise, I usually think the greatness outweighs some of the flaws. It was a dream to hear that entire album live when he last toured.

7 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I give Yeezus a 9/10, only because I'm not a huge fan of Guilt Trip and it never grew on me.

Everything else is great though and On Sight is still the GOAT opener.

On Sight isn't even Ye's best opener :lol:

Great songs:

Black Skinhead

New Slaves

Blood On The Leaves (even if it belongs on 808's)

Good songs:

On Sight

I Am A God

Rest are average or worse, imo. Bound 2 is like early Ye mixed with post Graduation Ye, but extremely overrated. I kinda like I'm In It, though.

• Like 1

I had high hopes at Ultralight Beam but things declined from there for me. There were a few standouts, but overall this felt like a fairly indulgent and self-serving effort.

I wasn't looking at the track list so I'll have to give it another spin to single out the songs I did like. Suffice to say - it was all over the place and it wasn't up there with his best work. 

It's pretty great that you could make a convincing argument for any of Kanye's albums openers to be the best of the bunch, even including No Church In The Wild. On Sight was a fucking awesome show opener too.

I think I'm up to 5 listens on the album. Really liking it. Yeezus is my favorite Kanye record (come at me) and I don't think this will top that, but I think at the end of the year this will be in my top releases for sure. I've also decided FML is the sequel to Hold My Liquor and that Feedback could be swapped for Send It Up on Yeezus and both records would be the same. Maybe why Feedback is one of my favorites so far.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

It's pretty great that you could make a convincing argument for any of Kanye's albums openers to be the best of the bunch, even including No Church In The Wild. On Sight was a fucking awesome show opener too.

I think I'm up to 5 listens on the album. Really liking it. Yeezus is my favorite Kanye record (come at me) and I don't think this will top that, but I think at the end of the year this will be in my top releases for sure. I've also decided FML is the sequel to Hold My Liquor and that Feedback could be swapped for Send It Up on Yeezus and both records would be the same. Maybe why Feedback is one of my favorites so far.

The outro to FML is haunting.

Yes, all his openers are incredible. I don't think there's anyway to top Dark Fantasy, as its just SO epic. But On Sight is great, Good Morning is amazing, No Church In The Wild has always been one of the better Throne tracks. Hell, I love the openers on College Dropout and Late Registration. And hey, I just heard 808s last night which is incredibly underrated and Say You Will is also a top notch opener. He's great at those.

Having some struggles about where to insert All Day and Only One in the album tracklist, just so they aren't lingering as outlier singles; right now thinking All Day between Pt.2 and Famous, and Only One closing the album

Hoping Ye releases high-quality versions of the different mixes of TLOP tracks like Facts and 30 Hours that he released on soundcloud

Edited by Gackt

FLOP:

Ultralight Beam - Chance said that this was originally gonna be the outro, which is where it would make sense. Waves has the perfect intro sound, btw. Pretty good song, Ye makes the right choice of letting Chance do the heavy lifting.

Father Stretch My Hands P1/2 - Ye's verse on part 1 is terribad. Part 2 is much better.

Famous - The outro is cool. Otherwise the song is pretty bad. 

Feedback - Probably the "underrated" song of the album. I fucks with it.

Low Lights/Highlights - no. Also Kanye just said he's $53 million in debt...

Freestyle 4 - Was this different during the live stream? Anyway, the concept/beat is pretty cool, the execution not so much.

I Love Kanye - We know you do, Kanye.

Waves - Yes. Maybe my favorite song on the album.

FML - Yes. Getting in a groove now and the Weeknd kills it.

Real Friends - Yes!

Wolves - A version leaked today adding Sia back into it, which is clearly the right call imo. Album version is decent.

Silver Surfer Intermission - Sellout.

30 Hours - Not album-worthy, should've stayed a GOOD Friday release only.

No More Parties In LA - Me gusta, but slightly disappointing for a Ye/K-Dot collab. Reminds me of the Em/K-Dot collab that also slightly disappointed.

Facts - I don't care what version you put here, it's a filler.

Fade - Don't love it or hate it.

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1