Kanye West Thread

Deepest Shame

5 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Half of this album is gold, and the other half is just sort of mind-boggling.

Mind bogglingly bad? Also, what do you think is which?

My apologies that I still haven't heard it. Should finally have some free time after today to get around to it. Only seen the SNL performance so far, and I thought the first song was OK and the second song sucked. I've been told already I'm crazy for thinking that and that Beam is one of the best songs on the album.

More like confusing over anything else. Good ideas, but poor execution.

The good tracks for me:

Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1

Pt. 2

Famous

Feedback

Real Friends

Wolves

30 Hours

No More Parties In LA

The rest just doesn't do much for me right now. Even the production is really off on a lot of the tracks, even on the songs that I like. I saw people raving about ULB and FML, but those do nothing for me whatsoever. I don't know who masters these albums, but the mastering is complete shit. I saw someone say that it was intentional, but that really doesn't matter if it sounds shitty. I can intentionally take a shit on someone, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

It's not bad, but I wish it had been more consistent and along the lines of the tracks I listed. It could've been one of my favourite Kanye albums if it had been shortened and a little more focused. Maybe the other tracks will hit me sometime, I don't know. 

I've listened to it a few times now. It's definitely his least cohesive project, but with that, I think it's an accurate representation of where he's at in life right now. The cohesion is the lack of cohesion. I don't know if that was by design or not, but it's the impression I get from early listens. I also think the album presents itself a lot differently if listened to as people have said it's split up - Wolves ending the album proper and the rest being bonuses.

Favorites so far are Feedback, Pt. 2, Wolves, LA, and Fade, but that will probably change tomorrow.

See, that's the thing. I swear some publications try to justify everything he does. Like the album artwork is some kind of statement about society, when really, it just looks ridiculously amateur (especially considering he changed the album title three times or whatever). The album clearly lacks a certain focus, but for critics, that's okay because it corresponds to the lack of focus in everyday life or some stupid bullshit like that.

Sometimes, it's just an unfocused album with shitty artwork. It's not a big deal. It's no wonder Ye thinks he's a deity with so many brownnosers so far up his ass. I love the guy's music, but I really wonder when objectivity went out the window for some of these people.

• Like 3

The last time any major publication gave Kanye a bunch of shit was the Taylor Swift incident. That was coming off 808's, which didn't do as well as his other albums both critically and commercially, though it has received more critical appeal since because of (ugh) Drake and others.

Since he came back triumphantly with MBDTF (not counting WTT or CS, though I think CS is really underrated), the media has been blowing smoke up his ass like there's no tomorrow. Go figure, his last few albums have been (imo) disappointing, specifically in relation to the hype the media has given them.

See, I actually think Kanye's gotten better as he's gone. Then again, I got on the train about a year after Watch The Throne. I knew the hits, but someone played me some more of Twisted Fantasy and I was like "whoa, I gotta hear this" and loved it.

Up until now, I don't really think he's had a bad album. In all honesty, his first two are my least favorite, but I know most people swear by them. I think its cause I went backwards to them and that he became so much more song based after that that its harder to go back and hear those ones, even though I still like most of them. But seriously, Graduation is amazing, 808s is amazingly underrated (but again, I hear it so many years after and never had that moment of "what the hell is this?!"), its hard to find fault with anything on Dark Fantasy, and Yeezus, for all the hype it got beforehand (from him and the press) I thought was fantastic. A concise album and really cool. I didn't think every note was genius, but Blood On The Leaves was by far up there with the best song I think he's ever done, Bound 2 was great, New Slaves excellent, and Black Skinhead also maybe in my top 10. The rest I grew to love, but truly did.

I do agree with you that most people are gonna give him the good review cause he's Kanye. Which sucks, cause I like objectiveness. If I grow to love the album thats one thing, but I'm happy that I don't think I've ever consciously made myself say one of his albums is great. I loved Lou Reed's review of Yeezus, not because I agreed with it 100%, but because that was such a cool thing. I love Lou Reed and he certainly knows a thing or two about bad press, and WRONG press. So it was nice to see him come out and be like "This is great, or at least I think its great" especially coming from an older guy like that. Unfortunately, I'm sure shit like that inflates Kanye's ego, but for what its worth I move past his arrogance if the music is still good. People ask how I can even stand listening to him and I usually say "he absolutely is a dick, but I still have yet to hear bad music from him so I can't actually disprove anything he's saying." Hell, I LOVED Watch The Throne. Seriously, I think its amazing, and the best parts about it are the ones I assume are Kanye's ideas. Same with Cruel Summer. As an album, I think its hit or miss, but there's not one song on there that Kanye is on that I don't like.

Hence the reason I've been saying for awhile he's bound for a bad album. He's just had too much of a roll, and I agree no one should be praising the artwork or anything as anything other than childish and thrown together quickly. I agree with Zeppelin, sometimes its just an unfocused album with shitty artwork, and I appreciate his ranking for when I listen. It would be nice that if it sucks people were honest, and it seems many here are being that about what they like and don't like.

We don't really get to say that critics overrate Kanye until he makes an album that listeners actually dislike but critics rate highly. This hasn't happened yet.

Funny how we're talking about the high Pitchfork rating while Kanye complained about it in one of his tweetstorms today :lol: he said it deserves a "30 out of 10".

Edited by Jakey Styley

1 hour ago, gunsfanoldie said:

See, I actually think Kanye's gotten better as he's gone. Then again, I got on the train about a year after Watch The Throne. I knew the hits, but someone played me some more of Twisted Fantasy and I was like "whoa, I gotta hear this" and loved it.

Up until now, I don't really think he's had a bad album. In all honesty, his first two are my least favorite, but I know most people swear by them. I think its cause I went backwards to them and that he became so much more song based after that that its harder to go back and hear those ones, even though I still like most of them. But seriously, Graduation is amazing, 808s is amazingly underrated (but again, I hear it so many years after and never had that moment of "what the hell is this?!"), its hard to find fault with anything on Dark Fantasy, and Yeezus, for all the hype it got beforehand (from him and the press) I thought was fantastic. A concise album and really cool. I didn't think every note was genius, but Blood On The Leaves was by far up there with the best song I think he's ever done, Bound 2 was great, New Slaves excellent, and Black Skinhead also maybe in my top 10. The rest I grew to love, but truly did.

I do agree with you that most people are gonna give him the good review cause he's Kanye. Which sucks, cause I like objectiveness. If I grow to love the album thats one thing, but I'm happy that I don't think I've ever consciously made myself say one of his albums is great. I loved Lou Reed's review of Yeezus, not because I agreed with it 100%, but because that was such a cool thing. I love Lou Reed and he certainly knows a thing or two about bad press, and WRONG press. So it was nice to see him come out and be like "This is great, or at least I think its great" especially coming from an older guy like that. Unfortunately, I'm sure shit like that inflates Kanye's ego, but for what its worth I move past his arrogance if the music is still good. People ask how I can even stand listening to him and I usually say "he absolutely is a dick, but I still have yet to hear bad music from him so I can't actually disprove anything he's saying." Hell, I LOVED Watch The Throne. Seriously, I think its amazing, and the best parts about it are the ones I assume are Kanye's ideas. Same with Cruel Summer. As an album, I think its hit or miss, but there's not one song on there that Kanye is on that I don't like.

Hence the reason I've been saying for awhile he's bound for a bad album. He's just had too much of a roll, and I agree no one should be praising the artwork or anything as anything other than childish and thrown together quickly. I agree with Zeppelin, sometimes its just an unfocused album with shitty artwork, and I appreciate his ranking for when I listen. It would be nice that if it sucks people were honest, and it seems many here are being that about what they like and don't like.

This is the beauty of Kanye, though. Through all the smoke and shit, people will always prefer different albums. I became a fan when Graduation came out, so I love that period the most. A lot of people love TCD and LR the most. Then some people love where he's going now the most. There's no doubt that he's doing different things that appeal to different people, so I could never fault him for that. 

I've been in different forums talking about the album, and people were ranking his albums before TLOP "came out" with so many radically different rankings. It's fun. It's what makes Kanye so interesting.

Even though I was a fan of only about half of Yeezus, Kanye's never uninteresting, which is why I'll always end up coming back to see what he releases.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

For every stupid thing Kanye has done and been judged for in this thread, every person judging him's favorite rockstar has done something just as dumb, and doesn't have an MBDTF to show for it.

I cant think of anyone offhand that has compared themselves to Piccasso or Shakespeare, and actually been serious as opposed to spitting a self aggrandising rhyme, that is pretty unique to Kanye.  There's nothing wrong with being stupid per se, i like a lot of stupid people but they don't all go around saying and thinking they are like equivalent to people that could be said to be vital figures to the evolution of western culture in the last 500 years.  You have to be some spectacular kind of moron to say some shit like that, it makes you difficult to take seriously as a human being...and all this self aggrandising coming from a popstar.  I mean lets remember what we're talking about here, even the BEST of pop music, the highest estate of it, the biggest names and earners, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, whoever, they do not even mildly approach what a Shakespeare or a Picasso was in terms of their importance to culture, it's a ridiculous assertion, you could put the entire accumulated history of pop music in one hand and Shakespeare in the other and as far as I'm concerned and as far as civilisation is concerned you could lose pop music as a concept in favour of Shakespeare, it could be blinked out of existence on the spot, it is like a fruit fly comparing itself to Alexander the Great.

Whats an MBDTF?

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

For every stupid thing Kanye has done and been judged for in this thread, every person judging him's favorite rockstar has done something just as dumb, and doesn't have an MBDTF to show for it.

Depends on who your favorite rockstar is, doesn't it? :lol:

17 hours ago, Amir said:

I got 2 copyright strikes on my YouTube account for Kanye West vids I filmed and uploaded from a concert back in Feb 2013:

12717511_10100654385722932_7661703065387

<shakesfist>

Moosavi? That's a joke name surely?

"Like what do you call a hungry Iranian?

Amir Moosavi Kebab!"

:lol:

*gets coat*

Kinda sounds like a whole bunch of nothing. We were pretty bored with it about halfway through. I guess for big Kanye fans it's ok. I def can't see calling it great or masterpiece or any of that nonsense. Just kind of an average pop album.

2 minutes ago, spliff said:

To all the white people in this thread please respect Kanye's wishes :frank:

To Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, New York Times, and any other white publication. Please do not comment on black music anymore.

Retweet

nah nah nah, you're getting it wrong, it ain't racism if Kanye says it :lol: Meanwhile he's fuckin' a white woman. 

Edited by Len B'stard

48 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

nah nah nah, you're getting it wrong, it ain't racism if Kanye says it :lol: Meanwhile he's fuckin' a white woman. 

Thats kind of been the whole thing. Since he started going full fledged with Kim I've liked him less and less. I don't actually despise her and her family, but its the epitome of everything thats wrong with society. Someone that makes real music with a woman who does NOTHING but live off a name. His being with her has made HIM harder to take, especially with his craziness. To me, it was a little different in the Yeezus era because I thought the music was better. Since then, he's gotten worse with his rants (I liked the MTV one) and the music has been the same. Didn't like Only One, didn't really like All Day, I thought he was great on FourFiveSeconds. Its a combination of him becoming inconsistent with questionable personal choices.

As for the new album, I kind of agree completely with J Dog. It did nothing for me on first listen. A lot of noise that leads to no real song, no real message. It was very difficult to make it all the way through. I'll try listening again later and recording some more thoughts.

• Like 1

The album's a grower, but I think by spring it'll be topping the majority of Best Hip Hop of 2016 (so far) lists; it feels like a combination of MBDTF with some of the experimentation of Yeezus without the heavier moments

I've been using this cover art too, can't stand the color of the original

1455452844787.jpg

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1