So Fine ?

Mfegz

Each also has at least one track sung by other members of the band: lead vocals on "So Fine" are performed by bassist Duff McKagan - the song, that was dedicated to punk rock musician Johnny Thunders, who died from a drug overdose before the recording of the album.

I think you mean "Put your arms around a memory" with the Johnny Thunders dedication, don't you? Or was So Fine also dedicated to him?

Great song!! Love the Duff parts =)

Agreed. Don't understand the hate for it. It's even one of my favorites.
probably due to the fact that most people only care for the stuff thats predominantly axl or slash... i actually enjoy duffs solo stuff more than slashs solo stuff, but thats just me
I really like Duff's current band Walking Papers, more than Slash's current solo stuff.

I bought the album and frankly it's very good indeed. One thing though, Duff is only a special guest on the album and he plays only 3 songs. I thought he played bass on all tracks but no...

Yes on the album. Maybe he didn't had the time to record? On the tour he did play everything. It's a little strange.

Each also has at least one track sung by other members of the band: lead vocals on "So Fine" are performed by bassist Duff McKagan - the song, that was dedicated to punk rock musician Johnny Thunders, who died from a drug overdose before the recording of the album.

I think you mean "Put your arms around a memory" with the Johnny Thunders dedication, don't you? Or was So Fine also dedicated to him?

So Fine is also dedicated to him. I say this in the nicest way possible: Duff's gay for Johnny Thunders lol.

probably due to the fact that most people only care for the stuff thats predominantly axl or slash... i actually enjoy duffs solo stuff more than slashs solo stuff, but thats just me

No, that's not just you. :D

No, that's not just you. :D
seems like it sometimes Edited by Hollywood Gunner

• 2 years later...

I have always loved this song. It's sexy sounding to me. I should probably seek out more Duff music...I'm just so set in my ways now that I rarely do seek out new music. Could be an age thing, read somewhere that many people stop looking for new music around age 32 or something. I used to really dig going to festivals and all that but the last few years I'm just bothered by big crowds and rowdy teenagers. Those damn kids *shakes fist*.

I have always loved this song. It's sexy sounding to me. I should probably seek out more Duff music...I'm just so set in my ways now that I rarely do seek out new music. Could be an age thing, read somewhere that many people stop looking for new music around age 32 or something. I used to really dig going to festivals and all that but the last few years I'm just bothered by big crowds and rowdy teenagers. Those damn kids *shakes fist*.

It's true. I'm 32. Once you're 32, it's over. And Not just musically. You just try to find a way to keep a piece of your dignity intact until it's time and you're 33. I've already made arrangements. They're gonna play I'm Still Standing at my funeral.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

It's not one I can listen to too frequently but I love So Fine. I feel like it just reeks of a fun rock n' roll attitude; the tone of Axl's voice in chill chorus about how amazing this girl is throughout the song, that awesome guitar part at 2:30 (is that Slash?), Duff's personality and message about trying to be his own man in the song. It all comes together and evokes this sense of brotherly love between the bandmates. I love the song. I'm not disagreeing with its reputation of being a filler song (I see it as sort of an interlude before the grand finale, Estranged), but I think it's a great song to turn on every now and then and I'm glad it's on there

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

I used to like it but back in the day they could have all taken turns farting into a microphone and I would have thought it was great... Just isn't a very good song a all... I hope they wouldn't feel the need to play it if a reunion really did happen.

It's true. I'm 32. Once you're 32, it's over. And Not just musically. You just try to find a way to keep a piece of your dignity intact until it's time and you're 33. I've already made arrangements. They're gonna play I'm Still Standing at my funeral.

Hahaha the Elton John song? Nice. Too low for zero is his only decent album after the 70s imo..

Axl said that he had to go through hell while making UYI albums. There were constant phonecalls where everyone said "Im not doing this song until you do mine". At the end nobody gave a fck anymore.

Axl did My World.

Slash did Coma.

Duff did So Fine.

Izzy did 14 Years.

Axl n duff did get in the ring (another pathetic song).

So Fine was just a jam song... qualifies as a filler definitely... but considering how "epic" UYI were supposed to be and how they became a compilation of all the songs that were on the shelf... it doesnt surprise me... thats what I expect from the UYI package.

I used to hate the song when I got into GNR in 1991. Definitely skipped over it for close to a decade until one day I was at home during the summer before I started college (summer 1999). For whatever reason I couldn't skip the song when it came on and I let it play and I found myself liking it alot. I thought it was a fluke and I listened to it again and now I think its incredible track. I love Duff's vocals and I think that Axl's extra sighs, ahhs, shivers, whatever you want to call them detract from the song.

Axl said that he had to go through hell while making UYI albums. There were constant phonecalls where everyone said "Im not doing this song until you do mine". At the end nobody gave a fck anymore.

Axl did My World.

Slash did Coma.

Duff did So Fine.

Izzy did 14 Years.

Axl n duff did get in the ring (another pathetic song).

Axl did My world without anyone knowing. Just an out of the box way to end an album. I don't hate it.

Slash and Axl did Coma.. It was Slash's riff and the guitars are great but Axl shaped the song quite a bit if not more so. Definitely a collaboration.

So Fine sucks

14 years is good. I kind of wish Axl took more of a backseat during the chorus though. Maybe a little lower in the mix.

I always liked Get In the Ring and still do.. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I wouldn't call it pathetic.