What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Prefer Death Proof to Kill Bill or Inglorious. Just a fun movie. I've rewateched it a few times. It's just a bit more playful. Obviously narrative isnt his strength. I suupose you could say Inglorious is a better put together movie, Death Proof is a bit of a mess, but there's lots of cool parts. There's still some interesting ideas. The same actors used in the second part where Stuntman Mike meets his match. This is QT's territory. I's prefer he was like the Woody Allen of crime capers instead trying to be a really filmaker.

It's in the middle for me

Jackie Brown

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Death Proof

Kill Bill

Inglourious Basterds

Django Unchained

Exactly. Although maybe Pulp above Brown.

The recent ones are more long winded. Those genres are. I wish he'd do a rom com. Something like The Mexican or Kalifornia.

I never think about rewatching Kill, Inglorious or Django.

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Jackie Brown

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Kill Bill

5. Death Proof

6. Django

7 Inglorious

Anyone ever seen his unfinished Indie piece My Best Friends Birthday? It's actually pretty cute, you can sort of see the Tarantino-isms all over it, there's even a little Kung Fu scene :lol:

His Four Rooms segment would be at the bottom, if counted.

True but then when somethings already been done by Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre and has been directed by Alfred Hitchcock you're kinda punching way above your weight as a Tarantino. Steve McQueens presence alone puts anything above anything else because he is the Messiah.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Reservoir Dogs

3. Kill Bill

4. Inglorius

5. Django

6. Jackie Brown

7. Death Proof/Grind House

From dusk till dawn is great

Sin City is also a classic

Jackie Brown bores me to hell after the second watch. I suspect you people rate it so high because you're biased with the blaxploitation movies :lol:

Death Proof/Grind House is shit

Also Reservoir Dogs was great but not really my fav, i would rate Kill Bill over to it, but KB has it's flaws

Edited by Strange Broue

I like Jackie Brown cuz its urban, it has a lot of plot, a fair bit of subtext, it has the most heart of any Tarantino movie, the best developed characters and, more importantly in Len world, it is the very definition of cool, the characters as well as the movie.

I like Jackie Brown cuz its urban, it has a lot of plot, a fair bit of subtext, it has the most heart of any Tarantino movie, the best developed characters and, more importantly in Len world, it is the very definition of cool, the characters as well as the movie.

Admit it, you just like the movie, because they were almost all black :lol:

j/k

The best developed characters? on the absolute contrary, imho

The most heart? hell naw

Yes, its my prejudice towards the swarthy skinned :lol:

Developed characters as in like...they're not archetypical, Max Cherry is like a man approaching retirement, hes not your average cool person from a Tarantino film, you get this insight into a tired sort of blue collar bloke whoose life is just trundling along and hes wondering as to the value of it all, Jackie Brown is like a middle aged woman who sees her last chance to take a gamble and make something of her life where she feels shes wasted it and is a bit sort of...lost in life, they're different, they're kinda human...and it doesnt have this bullshit ending where Max and Jackie end up together, she just kinda comes into his life and flitters out again...whilst sort of leaving her mark on him.

Characters like Lewis Garr, hes just a brilliant characterisation, was written in the script as 'having the body language of a bag of dirty laundry', theres a background to him and Ordell thats kinda hinted at but never fleshed out so it kinda leaves you a little in the dark about how bad they actually were...so when Ordell turns cold you're not really sure how far hes capable of going, you know hes capable of murder and pretty ruthless...by the end hes almost creepy, thats a pretty broad spectrum for a character to cover, all the sides of him you're presented with.

And Jackie is brilliant, you see strength in her, brains, wit but at the same time vulnerability, shes scared of lots of things too, you almost see this process in Pam, especially in the scene where Michael Keatons interrogating her and she kinda fronts him off but then at the same time she almost cries, its brilliant.

I dont think any Tarantino movie has had the heart of Jackie Brown. And Ordell is fantastic too, hes cool, hes smooth, hes charming...but then he can be absolutely ruthless and cold blooded, he shows all the characteristics a pimp would require without descending into some kind of Max Julien or Huggy Bear stereotype. Its all in his behaviour and not cuz hes followed around by a gang of hoes or something.

They're the most real characters Tarantinos come up with...although it is taken from Rum Punch although he added a lot to it.

Edited by Len B'stard

It's true and the credit is largely owed to Elmore Leonard.

• Like 2

Admit it, you just like the movie, because they were almost all black :lol:

j/k

The best developed characters? on the absolute contrary, imho

The most heart? hell naw

What is this jive baby? I like Jackie Brown because it is fly and that is the righteous truth brother.

Watched the series finale of Haven. It was a great ending. Very satisfying to us fans who have watched it for the whole 5 seasons.

And having William Shatner as the big bad guy was awesome!

Is the series good? or it is one of those type of Teen shit dramas?

No teen drama at all. it's based on a story by Stephen King. It has been on SyFy for 5 years and just ended last week. It was an interesting story one that I've never seen or heard of before. The characters were unique and likable.

I don't want to tell you the whole story, but it's worth checking out.

Watched the season finale of Z Nation. I loved the ending. Can't wait for 2016.

Also watched The Knick. Not sure if this was the season finale. It seemed like it, but not sure. Anyway, this show is awesome too.

Also watched the movie "unrest". It was pretty good.

Creed

Cheesy. I want Len to see this because there has been a number of years where a particular type of boxer - usually always tattooed, northern, football mad, pasty (in than, incapable of getting a tan way) and from an Irish gene pool - has had a degree of success. British crowds are particularly boorish. We, the Brits, are in essence the bad guys here. We are Ivan Drago. And it is full of hippy hoppy stuff. It is America vs a typical brand of British boxing culture.

The Force Awakens

I preferred it more the second time but it has some flaws. It is better than the prequel excrement.

The Hateful Eight

Terrible.

I watched the first two Riddick movies, Pitch Black for the first time. I kind of want to watch the third one but I hear it's basically at self parody levels, so I'm a bit hesitant but I'll probably get around to it before too long.

I also watched "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man." Silly, silly little movie. Very fun watch though, it was that sort of cheesy that you know the writers and actors were laughing at as production went along.

Star Wars Into the Darkness

Terrible. I only watched it for completion's sake. Just awful.

Gone Girl

Decent. They did not really know how to end the thing - I'm not sure how pertinent this is to the original novel - but it was a well acted and moderately suspenseful dramatic piece. It is weird how Rosamund Pike started out in Die Another Day haha.

Shaft (2000)

Decent.

Hateful 8. I enjoyed it more than Inglorious or Django. More like throwback to Pulp or Res Dogs. It's like he's trying to do the best ever everyone days in a shoot out scene in every movie. It was like a game of Cluedo with everyone getting shot.

Creed

Cheesy. I want Len to see this because there has been a number of years where a particular type of boxer - usually always tattooed, northern, football mad, pasty (in than, incapable of getting a tan way) and from an Irish gene pool - has had a degree of success. British crowds are particularly boorish. We, the Brits, are in essence the bad guys here. We are Ivan Drago. And it is full of hippy hoppy stuff. It is America vs a typical brand of British boxing culture.

I've seen it. There's a boxer in that, acting, who is a real fighter called Andre Ward who you should check out, undefeated with the style of a middleweight Mayweather.

Edited by Len B'stard

Blade ll. It's been a while. Still cool. And The Lords Of Dog Town. Ledger is great on it.

Yeah, the Blade movies are still cool. Lords of Dog Town is good, if you like that I suggest checking out the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys. I can watch that just like the movie.

Terminator Genisys. Arnold was fun. Think it's time to retire this story.