The Breaking Bad Finale Discussion Thread [SPOILERS WITHIN - UP TO FINALE]

ManetsBR

The episode was fine......though I did think it wasn't up to the standards as the first half of the season.

Walt is dumb all of a sudden?

Like I said....

Decent episode.

Ending was terrible.

I knew they were coming but only a matter of time, Hank will die and Gomez will die. Jesse will live.

One of the best scenes in a TV show, EVER

No way!!

That was a terrible scene!!

Edited by SunnyDRE

gomez is fucked, that much is certain

It looked like he got hit to me.

Jesus, I'm literally shaking right now. Most intense scene of the series, hands down.

You're kidding right?

How about Walt and Mike for the last time?

I actually think the ending to tonight's episode was comical.....

The episode was fine......though I did think it wasn't up to the standards as the first half of the season.

Walt is dumb all of a sudden?

I think basically the writers are showing how much loyalty Walt has (in his heart) and he assumes the same in return. They're also showing that Walt doesn't like to admit being wrong about someone, to the point that it's (potentially) to his own demise.

Yeah, I think Hank is toast. The way he said "I love you" to Marie seemed foreshadow-esque.

Yeah, he is as good as dead. Looks like he and Gomie are dead and somehow, Jesse escapes...notice how one of the last times they show Jesse, it looks as if he was about to run out of the car.

OK so I had a couple (strong) drinks during the show so I wasn't sure towards the end if it was really the best episode

since Gus Fring
or if the alcohol was clouding my judgment.

But after reading the posts here and on Facebook it appears my reaction was appropriate. That was AMAZING. FUCKING AMAZING.

HOLY SHIT.

gomez is fucked, that much is certain

It looked like he got hit to me.

Jesus, I'm literally shaking right now. Most intense scene of the series, hands down.

You're kidding right?

How about Walt and Mike for the last time?

Walt and Mike can't live up to this because at this point everyone​ is breaking bad, and you know the end is near. The build-up was what made it awesome. The the shootout was icing on the cake.. leaving with a cliffhanger of course.

Although I think they may kill Hank and Gomie - with Jesse getting away...it wouldn't surprise me if they somehow "kidnap" Jesse and force him to cook with Todd. What may end up happening is that Walt gets infuriated with the skinheads for killing Hank and Gomie and basically just gives Jesse up to them instead of cooking for them.

Probably one of the best episodes of the series so far.

All this talk that "they're all breaking bad" is nonsense. This isn't a show about anybody else but Walt. I read this in a recently posted review over at Daily Beast and think it's spot on:

In that split second, “To’hajiilee” turns—and Gilligan’s true vision for Breaking Bad becomes clearer than it’s ever been before. As I watched the final shootout—the hail of bullets buzzing back and forth between Hank and Agent Gomez on one side and Todd, Uncle Jack, and Uncle Jack’s neo-Nazi buddies on the other—I thought back to what Gilligan had actually said to me. “I absolutely see Breaking Bad as a modern Western,” he’d explained—emphasis on the modern. Hank isn’t the hero. There are no heroes. There is only Walter White and what he hath wrought.

And in the end, that’s what “To’hajiilee” is telling us. That Breaking Bad is about Walter White’s descent—not anyone else’s heroism. Throughout the series, Walt has drawn lines, moral boundaries, in the sand. At first he would refuse to cross them, but then, inevitably, he would give in, and that’s how we measured Mr. Chips’s transformation into Scarface (or Heisenberg). But the one line that Walt wouldn’t cross was family. The meth, the money, all of it—for family. That was the point. Without family, everything Walt had done—“the multiple murders, the ties to a white-supremacist prison gang, the largest meth operation in the Southwest,” as Hank put it Sunday night—would be for naught.

But morality isn’t a chemical equation, as much as Walter White might like to think he can calibrate and control it. In “To’hajiilee,” Gilligan & Co. demonstrate that principle to brual effect. When Walt meets with Jack, he agrees to do two things he swore he would never do: kill Jesse (who, in his own words, “is like family”) and cook meth again (which will endanger Walt’s wife and children). Walt has his caveats, his rationalizations. He says Jesse’s death must be “quick and painless,” with “no suffering” and “no fear,” and he insists that he will only do “one cook, after the job”—that is, Jesse’s murder—“is done.”

But it’s useless. As palpable as Walt’s repugnance might be when he shakes Jack hand—Bryan Cranston is remarkable at conveying his character’s contradictory emotions in this scene—the deal kick-starts the crisp Rube Goldbergian plot machinery that makes the climactic showdown between Jack and Hank inevitable. Walt meant to kill Jesse. Now, a few scenes later, his own brother-in-law is in danger of being killed as a result.

Watching the shootout, I could barely breathe. The image that got me was one of the most poignant and terrifying ever to appear on a show with no shortage of either: Walt trapped in the back of a truck, powerless at last, his hands cuffed and his voice muffled, as the forces he has unleashed attempt to destroy the one thing he swore to protect. I can’t imagine a more effective way to dramatize the inescapable consequences of Walter White’s moral decline.

What I loved about this episode is how it completely fucks with the viewers emotions. Hank gets his triumphant moment where he catches his white whale only it to be fleeting, that he's ultimately facing his demise. In some way it's a victory for Hank: he caught Walter White. He outsmarted the genius, the guy who has always looked down on him. For those who are Hank fans (like myself), it was a great moment. But then it all gets taken away by the sheer onslaught of violence that Walt has brought into his world. This was one of those pay off episodes that accomplished what we've been waiting for.

With three episodes left I think the carnage is just beginning to rev up.

Edited by downzy

The irony is that Hank and Gomie have been doing this behind the DEA's back. All the evidence they have is with them. If they mysteriously disappear, so does their case.

Umm, IMO, .....one of the "comical elements" of the gunfight..

And hell..anyone who has written anything, knows you don't just change "Chapters" in the middle of a "gunfight."

I'll take my lumps from you guy...but please remeber; I do love the show and liked tonight's episode.

Just think the ending was rather weak.....

OK so I had a couple (strong) drinks during the show so I wasn't sure towards the end if it was really the best episode

since Gus Fring
or if the alcohol was clouding my judgment.

But after reading the posts here and on Facebook it appears my reaction was appropriate. That was AMAZING. FUCKING AMAZING.

HOLY SHIT.

Spoiler alert: Gus Fring is dead.

• Like 1