Axl's 2013 voice - is it really that bad?

trqster

I believe that Axl has found made some noticeable improvements on his vocal shape during the last summer shows, proving that he's still got a strong raspy voice when he wants to show it.

Agree? Some examples below...

Best Estranged performance (energetic and very strong vocals with rasp at times and a mighty 'raspy' end - first one I've heard since '92...)

Best Rocket Queen performance since Philly's 2012 with also a 'raspy' ending

Edited by trqster

More 2 examples of '13 Axl voice 'goodness'. :)

Best Nightrain performance since 2010 (Axl was simply on fire on this one with outstanding energy and strong vocals all the way)

Best Don't Cry performance since 2010 (Axl ended the song with lots of rasp!)

I believe that Axl has found made some noticeable improvements on his vocal shape during the last summer shows, proving that he's still got a strong raspy voice when he wants to show it.

Agree? Some examples below...

Best Estranged performance (energetic and very strong vocals with rasp at times and a mighty 'raspy' end - first one I've heard since '92...)

Best Rocket Queen performance since Philly's 2012 with also a 'raspy' ending

Best Nightrain performance since 2010 (Axl was simply on fire on this one with outstanding energy and strong vocals all the way)

Some people made it worst than what it is, and some people make it better than what it even could be. I agree that his voice was better in 2010 (actually thats my favorite vocal period for Axl, raspy but with an entire control over it that he didn't have before) but then again its better than he's sick days like RIR'11 or that charity incident. I've known some people that have gone to the shows and they all told me he was amazing. I guess that he's also trying to find some balance between his clean voice and the raspy voice. for example I love RQ and YCBM when they have the raspy voice, but I never really liked Estranged and SCOM with that kind of voice becouse... I don't know it just didn't sounded ok, and I actually like those better with a clean style of voice. some other tracks like SOD sound the best with Axl using both his raspy and clean vocals. Best example: Philly's SOD from 2012

I don't really pay much attention to the hysteria which surrounds Axl's voice. As much as people try to convince themselves otherwise they were saying the same things during 2010 touring.

All that matters to me in terms of Axl's vocals is that he puts on a good show when GNR hit my part of the world (which he always has) and that he sounds good on albums (again, he always has).

• Like 2

No it isn't, there are some songs he just doesn't do rasp on, Estanged is usually one (that video sounded fantastic btw). People seem to forget he's 51... the vocal chords thin and weaken with age, nothing can be done about that.

You're Crazy 2013:

Sounds pretty damn good.

years with a few excepcionts

Some WHAT?

No it isn't, there are some songs he just doesn't do rasp on, Estanged is usually one (that video sounded fantastic btw). People seem to forget he's 51... the vocal chords thin and weaken with age, nothing can be done about that.

Stupid excuse. Steven Tyler still sounds awesome. Axl's not taking car of himself

I'm watching the beginning of Rocket Queen in that original post, and this is terrible. I don't know how people can watch this and think he's not terrible here. And in this video I'm watching Axl sing poorly, and the rest of the time he isn't even on stage.

EDIT: I watched the whole video and IMO it never gets better. If he can't sing, stop touring. Also, it annoys me to death that he can't hold a note anymore! If you're gonna tour at 51, you'll get some credit, but most of this if you can't do it you just shouldn't be touring.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Yes , it is.

The best years for Axl's voice were 1986-1990 . By the Use Your Illusion tour his voice was already showing signs of wear and tear and was getting ruff during some of the shows.As far as I'm concerned , it's been nothing but downhill since 2001. I don't even really agree with the whole "raspy" argument or that his voice was somehow better in 2010.You can obviously find or pick out some shows or songs from youtube where it might not sound horrible but unless you want to hear him sing the Chinese Democracy songs or the covers than you're much better off listening to his performances from the 80's -90s. I've listened to every boot show from 2001 til now and it's not that I've never enjoyed any of them but for me it's too often painful to hear what's happened to his voice .Even the Chinese songs now, I was originally so looking forward to hearing him sing This I love because it's one of my favorites from the album but his voice is just so harsh for the most part when they perform it live, it never comes close to touching the vocal performance on the album and is just sad to hear .

years with a few excepcionts

Some WHAT?

Stupid excuse. Steven Tyler still sounds awesome. Axl's not taking car of himself

So because you can find contradictory examples then you believe you have someone proved that the voice does not in general weaken as you grow old? That is funny :D

Axl's voice is more than good enough to usually give a great show and leave the audiences satisfied.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Yes , it is.

The best years for Axl's voice were 1986-1990 . By the Use Your Illusion tour his voice was already showing signs of wear and tear and was getting ruff during some of the shows.As far as I'm concerned , it's been nothing but downhill since 2001. I don't even really agree with the whole "raspy" argument or that his voice was somehow better in 2010.You can obviously find or pick out some shows or songs from youtube where it might not sound horrible but unless you want to hear him sing the Chinese Democracy songs or the covers than you're much better off listening to his performances from the 80's -90s. I've listened to every boot show from 2001 til now and it's not that I've never enjoyed any of them but for me it's too often painful to hear what's happened to his voice .Even the Chinese songs now, I was originally so looking forward to hearing him sing This I love because it's one of my favorites from the album but his voice is just so harsh for the most part when they perform it live, it never comes close to touching the vocal performance on the album and is just sad to hear .

2010 was one of the best years for pure vocals since 1990, 2006 he have a bit more of an energetic performance, but both periods were great. 2010 was something to see live. While the Illusions period was mixed, the Argentina '93 gig has a perfect balance of powerful raspy vocals and energetic stage performance for me.

I agree with you about TIL, I think it can be a bit too harsh with the 2010 vocals. This Taipei '09 performance is actually my favourite live rendition of the song. His clean voice is just so vulnerable, it works perfectly here, even when his voice wobbles at the end, the fragility fits. Shame DJ fucks up the solo :P

I'd say '88-90 more specifically were his best year, 86-87 he was still finding his voice.

Haters gonna hate, and all that.

Those vids sound cracking for most.

Think people are way too harsh - even without any rasp at all he's better than 3/4 of frontmen today, in my honest opinion. Still hits the notes, regardless. And those are some damn tough notes. And he's 51. Not bad like

There ain't no pleasing some people, no point even trying. That's why I barely view this forum. I go to gigs, don't hear one single bad word. Then I read some comments from a few nubs on here who criticise everything

In the 9 minutes long video of estrange there is 2,5 seconds in the end with rasp, and this made you question if it's really that bad?

His voice is absolutely terrible now. There is no point pretending otherwise, even though I'm a huge fan of Axl.

Show it to anyone else with an objective view and they will tell you exactly the same.

He sounded great when I saw him live in 2010, and I could only find a couple songs that were okay in 2012. I think it's even worse now. But I know what I'm getting when I go to their shows, and I will go and see Axl live everytime I get the opportunity, so I'm not complaining.

Edited by Jeez