When did nuGnR reach it's peak in terms of popularity/public and media acceptance?

Cosmo

The You Could Be Mine video was probably the pinnacle of their popularity. And the St. Louis riot was the start of their downfall although I imagine some would say that Adler's firing was the actual beginning.

Edited by Randy Lahey

We all know nuGnR has always been heavilt criticized by fans, the general public and general media but the question is... When was nuGnR most popular, in general?

Off the top of my head, I'd say they've still never been accepted by the general public. I believe they had a legit shot in 2006 an 2008 with the media due and in turn the fans. The media was full of great things to say about the '06 shows and the professional reviews of CD were very positive in '08.

Sometime in 2006. But I'm being completely honest, I don't think they were ever that accepted. People put up with them in 2006 because they weren't doing anything glaringly wrong, but the general public never really cared enough to like them. Thats the gods honest truth. We are a minority on this board, and most of the world, at least definitely the US, lost interest with this band in the 90s. They know they are still around, but they are around in the way that Motley Crue, KISS, Van Halen and so many others are around. As washed up old guys.

I say 2006 is their peak because the VMAs ruined any acceptance they'd get in 2002, and Chinese Democracy didn't really bring them much of anything. People talked about how it was out, but either negatively or just indifferently, and at that point people knew how long it had taken so they just didn't care. 2006 was the middle ground of that, but again, among the normal general public they got very little traction.

2012 is the correct answer.

Yeahh, i'm thinking 2011 maybe.. First US tour in a while. Axl looking awesome in the cover of a magazine I don't remember, Guns N' Roses actually being inducted for tour of the year, etc..

2012 is the correct answer.

Yeahh, i'm thinking 2011 maybe.. First US tour in a while. Axl looking awesome in the cover of a magazine I don't remember, Guns N' Roses actually being inducted for tour of the year, etc..
Agreed but I think 2012 was their peak. Especially because they were getting great reviews.

2001 or 2006, maybe even 2009/2010.

2001 people were interested in Axl again. By 2002, despite IMO it being the best time for new gnr, people were freaked out by axl's appearance and the freakshow surrounding him.

2006 axl looked like a rocker, and had a good voice.

2009/2010 he lost his cornrows, released CD, but people complained about his wieght.

They've never been accepted, but 2001-2002 was when they were taken most seriously as a potential force in music. By 2006, even though CD was yet to come out, they were seen by most as a glorified cover band. It's kind of strange how little CD's release changed the trajectory of the band.

They've never been accepted, but 2001-2002 was when they were taken most seriously as a potential force in music. By 2006, even though CD was yet to come out, they were seen by most as a glorified cover band. It's kind of strange how little CD's release changed the trajectory of the band.

Its kind of amazing how much the whole aura of Chinese Democracy completely killed this band.

It's always had some flaw or other:

2002: Visual Image is too weird for majority of fan base. Axl sounds odd. Guitar rearrangements too far removed from originals.

2006: Image issues fixed. Guitar closer but still problematic. Album delay damages credibility due to fabled stories of it's budget and the sheer length of time Axl's had to reinvent his GNR but hasn't actually delivered. Had they dropped the album around the positive buzz around the NYC shows I think the media would have responded well. Axl's voice in impressive shape and although he had braids he looked like an evolution of his old self in terms of being a rocker and dressing like one.

2009: This was moment - had it happened in 2008 when the album came out. The asian tour was good. Axl still had rasp. Dj played the classic songs closer to the studio version than robin ever had, and the shows were full of variety and a lot of showcasing of the new works - twat, if the world and stuff was part of the setlist...and I had a brief sense that this was an entity capable of forward movement - that the CD gridlock had been broken.

Post 2010 - Band has started devolving again. Set list has become stagnant with the only real variation coming in the solo peformances. Axl seems to have lost a lot of rasp and seems to be delivering significantly weaker performances than only 2-3 years earlier, he also doesn't always look in the best of health.

So basically I think the moment it could have got good was when DJ joined - as although he's hated around these parts - he solved a lot of the issues robin's interpretation of the music seemed to cause people - and at first around then Axl seemed in form.

Obviously 2002 was when the iron was hot. They should've struck then but for whatever reason they didn't. Despite the odd appearances of band members and terrible MTV performance the hype and buzz was there. Axl hadn't completely alientated long time die hards yet and people were still interested ina GnR comeback. THAT was the height fo their general public popularity.

2006 is when the general consensus of the fanbase seemed to be that Axl was at his best since the Illusion days. The members in the band looked more the part and there was still a chance but at this point I do think people in the general public had lost almost all interest. Axl fucked up the 2002 tour and people rememberd what a joke they looked like so despite the fanbases opinion that 2006 was Axl at his best the ship had sailed.

By 2009-2010 nobody cared.

in 2013..... Good fucking luck. The general public will NEVER be interested in anything other thana reunion now.

• Like 1

They peaked one second before taking the stage at the VMA's.

Obviously 2002 was when the iron was hot. They should've struck then but for whatever reason they didn't. Despite the odd appearances of band members and terrible MTV performance the hype and buzz was there. Axl hadn't completely alientated long time die hards yet and people were still interested ina GnR comeback. THAT was the height fo their general public popularity.

2006 is when the general consensus of the fanbase seemed to be that Axl was at his best since the Illusion days. The members in the band looked more the part and there was still a chance but at this point I do think people in the general public had lost almost all interest. Axl fucked up the 2002 tour and people rememberd what a joke they looked like so despite the fanbases opinion that 2006 was Axl at his best the ship had sailed.

By 2009-2010 nobody cared.

in 2013..... Good fucking luck. The general public will NEVER be interested in anything other thana reunion now.

Nice to see some people with a sense of the world outside of GNR forums.

• Like 1