Late 2013 Concert **RUMORS**

t-p-d-a

Is everyone excited for a new round of he sounds like shit and is fat vs. he sounds great and looks amazing debates?

What else is there to look forward to? Certainly not new music.

At least it'll be a small change of pace around here, right?

Percent chance that Axl surprises us and comes out sounding decent?

*your opinion doesn't count if you think he has sounded decent over the past couple years

Is everyone excited for a new round of he sounds like shit and is fat vs. he sounds great and looks amazing debates?

*your opinion doesn't count if you think he has sounded decent over the past couple years

Probably very little chance of Axl sounding decent, let alone great (and no, i don't think he's sounded good since 2010). I put it in the 5 to 10 percent chance. As he gets older I'm thinking the odds get even worse. If you want to hear where Axl is headed, listen to what Burton Cummings of the Guess Who sounds like today:

Edited by downzy

why not?

I'm ready for another show. If they start touring again next year, that's plenty of time for a break. Promote the DVD/bluray, which I can't wait for, and then go out and tour and hopefully they'll do a record. I mean, what are they doing with all this off time?

Anyway, yeah, I'm ready for another show. Gotta get my fix. GnR, come back to Chicago!

I saw them in Chicago on the last arena tour as well as the UCaP tour. Both shows kicked ass. I'll probably go over there to see them again.

I contacted a prominent promoter in the area:

"We've been trying to get a show at Mohegan Sun but we can't get their commitment to head east."

They don't need to go back to that ass-backwards arena again anyway.

You're thinking of the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes-Barre, aren't you? There's a Mohegan Sun in Connecticut too...

Probably very little chance of Axl sounding decent, let alone great (and no, i don't think he's sounded good since 2010). I put it in the 5 to 10 percent chance. As he gets older I'm thinking the odds get even worse. If you want to hear where Axl is headed, listen to what Burton Cummings of the Guess Who sounds like today:

I don't know. The setlist might be boring, but Axl's voice was very good in Vegas, had some absolutely killer moments on the Aus leg, and seemed pretty good in Canada too. Did you go to the Toronto show this year? From the crappy vids, he sounded pretty good on the Canadian leg for the most part.

Of the 5 shows I caught in the past 12 months, there was only one where I really thought he was phoning it in and sounded bad. I'm not expecting him to sound great first show back after a break though because he very rarely does.

I don't know. The setlist might be boring, but Axl's voice was very good in Vegas, had some absolutely killer moments on the Aus leg, and seemed pretty good in Canada too. Did you go to the Toronto show this year? From the crappy vids, he sounded pretty good on the Canadian leg for the most part.

Of the 5 shows I caught in the past 12 months, there was only one where I really thought he was phoning it in and sounded bad. I'm not expecting him to sound great first show back after a break though because he very rarely does.

Sounded pretty good at the US shows I saw too (Other than Brooklyn Bowl). Governor's Ball was probably the best I've heard him in person since 2010.

What's wrong with this?

It's downtuned, but he sounds fine

Edited by TheSeeker

He sounded great in Greenville, both Atlanta gigs and the Vegas shows :shrugs: 2011, 2011, 2012 and 2012 gigs I saw, all great ones

Axl sounded great in Dallas 2011 and Vegas in 2012 and Dallas again in 2013.

I'm glad I saw all three shows, because GNR sang different songs at each show.

I think if Axl and GNR do a show late this year, Axl will be prepared and sound awesome! :)

He sounded great in Greenville, both Atlanta gigs and the Vegas shows :shrugs: 2011, 2011, 2012 and 2012 gigs I saw, all great ones

Axl sounded great in Dallas 2011 and Vegas in 2012 and Dallas again in 2013.

I'm glad I saw all three shows, because GNR sang different songs at each show.

I think if Axl and GNR do a show late this year, Axl will be prepared and sound awesome! :)

Contrary to mygnr belief, Axl sounded great during many shows in 2011-2013.
  • Like 2

why not?

Cuz those people are a nice bunch for the most part, but they're also looney tunes Axl fanboys whose opinions on his performances can't be taken seriously.

why not?

Cuz those people are a nice bunch for the most part, but they're also looney tunes Axl fanboys whose opinions on his performances can't be taken seriously.

I think that is extremely unfair, given that he's put in many great performances over the past couple of years. I'm not saying it's 2010 anymore, but I could pull up half a dozen videos that show Axl can still deliver when he's willing.

I think its safe to say Axl has had shows where he was so bad I literally felt bad for him, and as a fan of his. Shows of utter shit mixed in with excellence. And great shows where he makes me remember fuck yeah! This is the performer I've liked for 25 years!

I contacted a prominent promoter in the area:

"We've been trying to get a show at Mohegan Sun but we can't get their commitment to head east."

Can't get them to head east you say? As in, maybe they'll have something going on the west coast? I have to be in Las Vegas on business for about 3 weeks at the top of the year. Maybe something will work out for me!

Clean Axl can be quite fantastic too:

I suppose it's subjective, but I've never heard Axl sing anything "clean" and thought, that sounded great.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I think all of that is complete crap. I'll leave it at that. No need to try to prove each other wrong.

I have to agree. Since Rock in Rio 4, Axl doesn't sound like Axl. That doesn't mean he can't sing in the technical sense, but his tone sounds nothing like what I expect Axl to sound like.

Yes, he can still amplify his voice and control his pitch well (for the most part), it's just the tone is shot. With the raspy vocals of 2010 (and at times in 2006), he had that Axl Rose sound that I expect when I hear a GNR show. It's hard enough to swallow this band as "Guns N' Roses" with a group of guys who had nothing to do with most of the setlist perform under the GNR banner, but add to the fact that Axl has a completely different tone (one that I don't care for) and it's not something I'm going to support. When I go to a Guns N' Roses show, I want to hear Axl sounding like Axl, and not how Mickey Mouse would sound if he was forced to sing while being sodomized.

It's just comes down to taste. If you like the current tone Axl makes when he sings that's great. But considering we're only three years away from him sounding like he use to (for the most part) in the late 80s and early 90s, it's a big step down in my opinion.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 2

What's wrong with this?

It's downtuned, but he sounds fine

It's all relative. Cummings used to have a really fantastic voice:

Yeah, I should have really included a video of what Cummings use to sound like (tried my best to avoid this becoming a Burton Cummings thread). But yeah, Cummings use to have that banchee screech like Axl but now is completely unable to make that sound anymore. And in many ways, his current voice sort of sounds like where Axl has been going - helium sounding, softer, less raw and scratchy. Again, I don't want this thread to be about Cummings, but I highly recommend people check out old performances of songs like "No Time," "No Sugar Tonight," "Share This Land," with more recent performances. Cummings vocal trajectory reminds me in a lot of ways of Axl's vocal evolution. Perhaps it's just a fact of aging.