Late 2013 Concert **RUMORS**

t-p-d-a

Yeah, I should have really included a video of what Cummings use to sound like (tried my best to avoid this becoming a Burton Cummings thread). But yeah, Cummings use to have that banchee screech like Axl but now is completely unable to make that sound anymore. And in many ways, his current voice sort of sounds like where Axl has been going - helium sounding, softer, less raw and scratchy. Again, I don't want this thread to be about Cummings, but I highly recommend people check out old performances of songs like "No Time," "No Sugar Tonight," "Share This Land," with more recent performances. Cummings vocal trajectory reminds me in a lot of ways of Axl's vocal evolution. Perhaps it's just a fact of aging.

Whereas I tend to take the view that Axl is now intentionally dialling down the rasp to prevent his voice from becoming what Cummings' is now. Maybe he will still get there - but I think if he kept singing the way he was in 2010, we'd see him there a hell of a lot sooner.

I think he pushed it the rasp wayyyy too much in 2010 (and started to sound bad) and was forced to start singing cleaner again to save damaging his voice further. I'm not talking about when he sings cleanly and he's running out of breath and starts squeaking. I'm talking about when he sings cleanly in a more controlled fashion (like in Catcher). One thing that stuck out about Vegas was that he was less raspy overall, but had a lot less "flubbs" than he did when I saw him in 2010. He was more consistent throughout the show, had more control over his voice and still pulled off the big notes with plenty of rasp/power.

The rasp is 100% still in there, he just doesn't go for it as often - he pulls it out for the "big" moments:

I think he'll still be able to deliver if he ever decides to step into the studio again, put it that way.

EDIT: Only suggesting this because people link Axl's form to his weight a lot... Obviously they are related to a degree, but I think there's a lot more to it than that. He's over 50 after all.

I contacted a prominent promoter in the area:

"We've been trying to get a show at Mohegan Sun but we can't get their commitment to head east."

They don't need to go back to that ass-backwards arena again anyway.

You're thinking of the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes-Barre, aren't you? There's a Mohegan Sun in Connecticut too...

Oh. Well it's OK in that case :lol:

Yeah, I should have really included a video of what Cummings use to sound like (tried my best to avoid this becoming a Burton Cummings thread). But yeah, Cummings use to have that banchee screech like Axl but now is completely unable to make that sound anymore. And in many ways, his current voice sort of sounds like where Axl has been going - helium sounding, softer, less raw and scratchy. Again, I don't want this thread to be about Cummings, but I highly recommend people check out old performances of songs like "No Time," "No Sugar Tonight," "Share This Land," with more recent performances. Cummings vocal trajectory reminds me in a lot of ways of Axl's vocal evolution. Perhaps it's just a fact of aging.

Whereas I tend to take the view that Axl is now intentionally dialling down the rasp to prevent his voice from becoming what Cummings' is now. Maybe he will still get there - but I think if he kept singing the way he was in 2010, we'd see him there a hell of a lot sooner.

I think he pushed it the rasp wayyyy too much in 2010 (and started to sound bad) and was forced to start singing cleaner again to save damaging his voice further. I'm not talking about when he sings cleanly and he's running out of breath and starts squeaking. I'm talking about when he sings cleanly in a more controlled fashion (like in Catcher). One thing that stuck out about Vegas was that he was less raspy overall, but had a lot less "flubbs" than he did when I saw him in 2010. He was more consistent throughout the show, had more control over his voice and still pulled off the big notes with plenty of rasp/power.

The rasp is 100% still in there, he just doesn't go for it as often - he pulls it out for the "big" moments:

I think he'll still be able to deliver if he ever decides to step into the studio again, put it that way.

EDIT: Only suggesting this because people link Axl's form to his weight a lot... Obviously they are related to a degree, but I think there's a lot more to it than that. He's over 50 after all.

Agreed with your 2010 assessment. It sounded real bad at times like back in 1992 (when his throat was shot)

with this time off, he should lose that gut, get back into shape like he was in '06 and have the killer voice of '10.

No way Mr. 'lazy ass' Axl Rose will do that, by the simple reason that no fans are entitled to see anything other than his protruding beer gut and hear his mickey-mouse voice at the shows. :P

I'm ready for another show. If they start touring again next year, that's plenty of time for a break. Promote the DVD/bluray, which I can't wait for, and then go out and tour and hopefully they'll do a record. I mean, what are they doing with all this off time?

Anyway, yeah, I'm ready for another show. Gotta get my fix. GnR, come back to Chicago!

I saw them in Chicago on the last arena tour as well as the UCaP tour. Both shows kicked ass. I'll probably go over there to see them again.

Yes, me too. Though the proshot of the UCAP show, Axl sounds awful (I'm aware he was sick), he sounded good live, at least in the pit area. What a wonderful show that was. My favorite ever.

I contacted a prominent promoter in the area:

"We've been trying to get a show at Mohegan Sun but we can't get their commitment to head east."

They don't need to go back to that ass-backwards arena again anyway.

You're thinking of the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes-Barre, aren't you? There's a Mohegan Sun in Connecticut too...

Oh. Well it's OK in that case :lol:

I haven't been to the one in CT. Maybe it's still shit :lol:

with this time off, he should lose that gut, get back into shape like he was in '06 and have the killer voice of '10.

No way Mr. 'lazy ass' Axl Rose will do that, by the simple reason that no fans are entitled to see anything other than his protruding beer gut and hear his mickey-mouse voice at the shows. :P

he got extremely lazy by touring and after partying all the time.... from '03 to 06' no tours and out of the public eye. I'm not saying he has to stay away for 3 years

but with the money he has, he can hire a trainer n dietitian and get back into " '06 " shape

One might also argue that there is no incentive for Axl to make any changes since the concert reviews tend to be either good or great.

Do you think it bothers Axl or worries his management team that his concert attendance numbers seem to be decreasing?

I saw the band two years ago and Axl sounded great. He had a few bad moments, but I think in my review I gave him a B-plus.

But the problem is that he keeps touring on the GnR name, with none of the classic line-up, without releasing new music and has been raising ticket prices. That's not a formula that will last much longer, no matter how great the band might perform. I think at some point Axl has got to give the "people" something new. Pulling out a 20-year song or a new cover might please the die-hard fan, but the casual rock fan isn't going to let GnR adding another cover to the set-list be the deciding factor on spending $150 to go see them or not.

The last two shows in Canada GnR played two venues that were in the 2,500-3,000 range. And didn't sell out both shows.

I really think that Axl has to release new music for this band to continue to have any kind of success. And it can't be one album in a couple years and then the next one eight years after that.

Just my opinion though. And as a fan, a bit of a dream as well.

One might also argue that there is no incentive for Axl to make any changes since the concert reviews tend to be either good or great.

Do you think it bothers Axl or worries his management team that his concert attendance numbers seem to be decreasing?

No.

Do you think a good music business manager should worry about his/her band's success?

No.

Do you think a good music business manager should worry about his/her band's success?

Experiencing decreased sales in a saturated market 5 years after releasing new music is not a sign of failure. It is as expected.

No.

Experiencing decreased sales in a saturated market 5 years after releasing new music is not a sign of failure. It is as expected.

Sigh.

Would you rather cut off your ring finger than agree with certain posters on here - even if you know what they are saying is true?

No.

Sigh.

Would you rather cut off your ring finger than agree with certain posters on here - even if you know what they are saying is true?

No.

The last two shows in Canada GnR played two venues that were in the 2,500-3,000 range. And didn't sell out both shows.

I really think that Axl has to release new music for this band to continue to have any kind of success. And it can't be one album in a couple years and then the next one eight years after that.

But do you really think than a new album will lead to people buying tickets to hear that new material? I really don't.

If you are still buying a ticket to see Axl in 2013, its to hear the classic hits. And it always will be. People go to hear WTTJ, SCOM, and NR. Truthfully, they could drop every single song post 1993, and I doubt it affects tickets one iota.

But do you really think than a new album will lead to people buying tickets to hear that new material? I really don't.

If you are still buying a ticket to see Axl in 2013, its to hear the classic hits. And it always will be. People go to hear WTTJ, SCOM, and NR. Truthfully, they could drop every single song post 1993, and I doubt it affects tickets one iota.

yeah true, but with a new album and proper promotion and label support, i'm 100% sure the ticket sales would be increased
  • Like 1

No.

Experiencing decreased sales in a saturated market 5 years days after releasing new music is not a sign of failure. It is as expected.

Fixed

A single concert? In Hartford, Connecticut? I've not kept up to date with GN'R news, but I seriously doubt that GN'R can organise themselves for one gig, thousands of miles from LA without it being part of a tour.

The location seems too random. To me that's like Rammstein turning up to play a gig in Rochdale and flying home again.

• Like 1

A single concert? In Hartford, Connecticut? I've not kept up to date with GN'R news, but I seriously doubt that GN'R can organise themselves for one gig, thousands of miles from LA without it being part of a tour.

The location seems too random. To me that's like Rammstein turning up to play a gig in Rochdale and flying home again.

haha i'm gonna stretch back to 2005 for this one, but does anyone remember the concert that was supposed to take place, I think somewhere in Georgia, at a bar called "Coyote's" or something?? Hahaha and the promoter was like, DEAD SET on having everyone believe it was THEE then-current lineup of GN'R. I think some forum members even went so far as to trek out there and give updates. The big "wtf?" came when there was actually a fully-sized tour bus parked outside, but it turned out to be just an AC/DC tribute band or something hahahaha.

haha i'm gonna stretch back to 2005 for this one, but does anyone remember the concert that was supposed to take place, I think somewhere in Georgia, at a bar called "Coyote's" or something?? Hahaha and the promoter was like, DEAD SET on having everyone believe it was THEE then-current lineup of GN'R. I think some forum members even went so far as to trek out there and give updates. The big "wtf?" came when there was actually a fully-sized tour bus parked outside, but it turned out to be just an AC/DC tribute band or something hahahaha.

Now that is fucking funny.

Now that is fucking funny.

Merck Emphasizes Axl Will Not Be In Atlanta