Please Tell Me The Beef With The 1992 Tokyo Show?

D-GenerationX

One of the more constant talking points on GNR forums is how the 1992 Tokyo show was an abomination and you can't swing a dead cat without finding 10 better shows to release.

What is the problem here? I see a concert with a pretty good setlist. No major hits left out, and even a few tunes you did not get every night (Pretty Tied Up, Rocket Queen).

What makes these shows so allegedly terrible?

Maybe it's me, but the band seems bored out of their minds… and the fact that the audience is one of the worst I've ever seen, meaning boring too, doesn't help either. Granted, the setlist is great, but the video lacks excitement, fire… I don't know. The Paris show from that same tour was way…. way better.

• Like 3

Guest Len B'stard

The band are pretty OK the audience are just fuckin' dud though, bands kinda feed of audiences and i dunno what was going on in Japan in the early 90s or whether the Japanese are a reserved race or something but they just seem so muted.

• Like 1

I love that DVD mainly because its un-fucked with. No over dubs, just the live mix, how it should be. Axl's voice is a bit rough as usual, Slash's solos are sloppy, but they still give a great performance and it's real. My only complaint is how they split up the set between two DVDs which are rarely available together for some reason, wtf is that?

Guest cbgnr666

I think maybe the fact that most people who experienced gnr up to this point was through records,and then they watched this and it was pretty bad all around.Just take it too a party sometime and throw it on and watch how people respond.

they officially planed to "produce" and release that show before the show actually happened, meaning they've set up a professional video and audio recording team, so they've had multi camera angles and multitracks back up for editing, mixing etc.
yes, all other UYI shows are backed up as Proshot and soundboard, too. but it appears those to be more of "on-the-fly"-mix back ups without having access to all other angles or multitracks afterwards. as some kinda proof you can compare fanfilmed screenshots (like Wembley'91) with tv-Proshot snippets they've used to give out back then sometimes for MTV or so. those have the exact same video camera angles like the fanfilmed live screenshots (compare to LALD/VMA91).

that being said i agree Tokyo'92 show is a bad one. 6-7 weeks later we have those leaked "on-the-fly" Proshots Oklahoma92 and Chicago92 and they blow Tokyo92 away by far!! also a goody: Argentina92! the later one we do have the tv broadcasts AND a copy from the soundboard (released unofficially as "Welcome to the Rumour Jungle" 2CD).

It kinda sucks that there isn't more to the DVDs... They played the Tokyo Dome for 4 nights and as far as I know they recorded all 4 shows.... They even played Locomotive at one of them, even though it's kinda rough sounding it woulda been great to have that.

I can't remember the last time I watched those DVDs though.

Because they chose one with a shit crowd, and they chose the So Fine show instead of the Locomotive show from Tokyo to release.

Also because there were much better ones ( Forum 8-3 '91, Ritz '91, Paris '92, Indiana '91, etc). I'd love to see the rest of Florida '91, all I've got proshot was LALD, Don't Cry and one other one, can't remember which one it is.

The show isn't bad at all. The crowd is boring though. I mean, compare it to the HUGE energy of the crowd from the AC/DC Buenes Aires DVD for example.

The DVD release is a bit iffy to me. Two separate DVD's (at full price) that make up one show makes it rather pricey and to offer nothing other than the show itself for that money is a bit of a ripoff imo.