Did Prostitute live up to your expectations?

ColdHeartBreaker

Definetly. It's a fantastic song, I love it. I just don't like the production.

So, I made a Clean version, which I prefer: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/s6XfQVa9/Guns_N_Roses___Prostitute_Clea.html

There aren't so much noisy guitars, the piano is way up, the drum machine is cut off sometimes... Since I made that version, I've never listened to the original version again.

That was killer. Much better than the original!

Well to answer the question of the thread, I can't really say I had expectations for the song, I mean after all, we really only had a little bit of info to go off of. I think it was the one music composer that helped do some of the orchestra/string sections on some songs that said (paraphrasing) "prostitute was like fire and ice" or whatever. Well once the full song leaked in 2008 I instantly loved it, and I instantly thought it was Prostitute just from that description, it really played out like that. I remember how people were arguing whether the leak was it or not lol.

Anyways, the one thing I disliked about the final version of the song on the official release was the extra guitar added on, that I felt was kind of needless, and mixed at to high of a volume. I enjoyed the leak more, where you can hear the piano and strings a lot better. Idk just my preference, but i guess it's no big deal for me cuz I can just mix the rock band master tracks to get this result. :)

But yeah I really like the song, it's in my top 5 songs on this album I think I could say.

Edited by amacfantasy

Not even close.

The way it was talked up as "like fire and ice" and all that......and in the end it's this boring plodding ballad with no real hook or melody.

And the fact that Axl couldn't even be bothered to properly enunciate the title of the track also pisses me off. Even on the isolated vocal track it sounds like he's saying "praaahhiiyooo...myself." Guess a second take wasn't in the cards during the decade of production?

It's a pretty crappy song. Nothing special at all.

But...at least I've seen Axl sing it live and you haven't, so there! :P

I think Prostitute is the best song on the album but it's ruined by electronics, fake drum machine sounding drums, and Axl's voice sounds really fake. Prostitute is the one song I'd have liked t hear the old band record back in the day. You know it's bad when the Illusion albums sound organic in comparison.

I didn't have expectations for it. After hearing TWAT, Catcher, SOD, Madagascar, Chi Dem, Riad, IRS was pretty sure the album would be good. I remember Brain saying look out for Prostitute and heard something about drums, so I think it was what I expected, a kind of drum oriented rock track with a sort of dark Burlesque feel. But over time I got more what Axl is saying on it, so it has more impact than it did at first now. It's like the Estranged of CD, in 10 years it will be a classic.

I didn't have expectations for it. After hearing TWAT, Catcher, SOD, Madagascar, Chi Dem, Riad, IRS was pretty sure the album would be good. I remember Brain saying look out for Prostitute and heard something about drums, so I think it was what I expected, a kind of drum oriented rock track with a sort of dark Burlesque feel. But over time I got more what Axl is saying on it, so it has more impact than it did at first now. It's like the Estranged of CD, in 10 years it will be a classic.

It will never be classic nor will anything from that album. People's personal taste may cause them to like it but nothing on that album will ever remotely be classic.

Before The General was hyped and talked about, we had Prostitute. It was the song which got brought up in quotes and there seemed to be a real buzz about it in the fan base. I know some people were expecting a blistering rocker and were disappointed with the eventual leak. (Song 2)

To me it's one of my favourites from Chinese and perhaps in my top-ten Guns songs. Lyrically it is superb and the outro is perfect.

Absolutely. When it leaked and people were all upset claiming that it wasn't Prostitute, I was puzzled. I think it's a kick ass track and the perfect way to end the album.

Agreed. One of the strongest tracks on the album imo. I like it.

I never understood this though. People get all hung up on titles and imagine themes and styles and heaven knows what and then get all annoyed when it's different than they expected. Who's fault is that?!! I'm usually one of the first when it comes to blaming Axl and Team Brazil for all kinds of things wrong with GnR, but this is purely people their own stupid fault. We've had SO many threads along the lines of "what track do you want to hear most". And people have all sorts of opinions based on how they think the track might (or even should) sound. It's just setting yourself up for disappointment really. All you have is a title. It could be ANYTHING.

I always imagine people would get very excited just from a title like "My World" if it was an unheard track. People would probably expect some extremely deep and complex epic thing about Axl's views on the world and himself. But look how wrong everybody would have been there.

It's a title. It could be anything. Don't get all attached to it just yet.

Edited by username
  • Like 3

Before The General was hyped and talked about, we had Prostitute. It was the song which got brought up in quotes and there seemed to be a real buzz about it in the fan base. I know some people were expecting a blistering rocker and were disappointed with the eventual leak. (Song 2)

To me it's one of my favourites from Chinese and perhaps in my top-ten Guns songs. Lyrically it is superb and the outro is perfect.

Absolutely. When it leaked and people were all upset claiming that it wasn't Prostitute, I was puzzled. I think it's a kick ass track and the perfect way to end the album.

I never understood this though. People get all hung up on titles and imagine themes and styles and heaven knows what and then get all annoyed when it's different than they expected. Who's fault is that?!! I'm usually one of the first when it comes to blaming Axl and Team Brazil for all kinds of things wrong with GnR, but this is purely people their own stupid fault. We've had SO many threads along the lines of "what track do you want to hear most". And people have all sorts of opinions based on how they think the track might (or even should) sound. It's just setting yourself up for disappointment really. All you have is a title. It could be ANYTHING.

I always imagine people would get very excited just from a title like "My World" if it was an unheard track. People would probably expect some extremely deep and complex epic thing about Axl's views on the world and himself. But look how wrong everybody would have been there.

Haha so true. I swear people think a song like The General or Atlas Shrugged will be amazing based on the title. Makes no sense. I 100% agree that its people's straight up stupidity to base expectations on a song title.

• Like 1

Haha so true. I swear people think a song like The General or Atlas Shrugged will be amazing based on the title. Makes no sense. I 100% agree that its people's straight up stupidity to base expectations on a song title.

Couldn't agree more about the song title thing. The only justification I've heard that sticks at all is when people say that this person or that person described a certain song and that's why they have their hopes up. Someone said that recently about The General or Atlas Shrugged. They pointed to a quote where someone described the song and that's why they were/are excited to hear it. I can kind of see that, but looking forward to something based on a song title alone is something I just can't wrap my head around.

It will never be classic nor will anything from that album. People's personal taste may cause them to like it but nothing on that album will ever remotely be classic.

Like nothing on Exile never became classic. When Axl is dead people see CD in a different light. And Prostitute will shine a light. Only in my opinion of course. Maybe you right.

Prostitute is maybe the worst song on CD

I don't know why are so many people love here that fucking generic garbage (the only good about that song is the outro nearly the end) Other than this, Prostitute is a boring, generic, overproduced pile of shit

Edited by Crash Diet

Prostitute is maybe the worst song on CD

I don't know why are so many people love here that fucking generic garbage (the only good about that song is the outro nearly the end) Other than this, Prostitute is a boring, generic, overproduced pile of shit

Come on man. It has drum machines, shredding solos, Axl's clean voice, which is better than his trademark raspy voice! It's not cock rock, it's an evolution of the GNR sound. Just look at the lyrics:

Asssossaaa

Whyaaaauuuchoo

Tooprosssstituuuhh

massaaahh

#fuckslash

• Like 2

Like nothing on Exile never became classic. When Axl is dead people see CD in a different light. And Prostitute will shine a light. Only in my opinion of course. Maybe you right.

Sorry but they will not. CD is forgotten now and will forever be relegated to "that shitty album Axl did after the real Guns N Roses broke up". That's the way that album will always be viewed whether it's fair or not. Fans here can like it or not. When Axl is dead and gone nothing about CD will ever be look at in terms of classic. It just won't. And honestly to compare CD or it's potential to be looked at in hindsight to Exile on Main Street is just grasping at way too many straws. CD will simply never be considered classic when talking great albums of all time. I know it's just my opinion but you can take it to the bank. To think otherwise is just desperate wishful thinking of fans.

the only way possible for people to view CD in a different light will be if this band now actually becomes something and releases new material that actually catches on with the general public and that causes people to revisit CD. Aside from that, CD on it's own is just dead in terms of cultural and/or pop music relevance. There's nothing classic about it other than the story of how it came to be.

now we wait and see haha

• Like 3