Did Prostitute live up to your expectations?

ColdHeartBreaker

I like the song for the most part, but I can't really recommend it to anyone. I think a big reason that people like it is because they want to like it. We spend the time to actually listen to it, while most people will go, "Huh?" and skip it. It definitely did not live up to my expectations, but its an ok song anyway.

I didn't know about this song until I listened to CD and I immediately loved it.

It's a very powerful song and I love the ending with the music just going away.

I think it's one of the best songs on CD. I wish Axl would start singing this at the new concerts.

I like the song for the most part, but I can't really recommend it to anyone. I think a big reason that people like it is because they want to like it. We spend the time to actually listen to it, while most people will go, "Huh?" and skip it. It definitely did not live up to my expectations, but its an ok song anyway.

No. I like it cause I like it. It sounds cool to me. I think it's a great song. That's why I still listen to it 5 years after it was released. No other reason. Just because you have mixed feelings about the song, doesn't mean others can't genuinely like it.

Edited by Rovim

Best song on album.

Definitely get the fire and ice thing. there's a lot going on with the orchestra and piano, great melodies. Listen to the synth orchestra and piano parts only here

THAT ^ is beautiful in places. Really think, although one of the biggest complaints with the album is too many layers, it worked wonderfully on this song.

That's sounds really good. Could work on its own, without the other layers, on an instrumental album or a movie soundtrack.

Best song on album.

Definitely get the fire and ice thing. there's a lot going on with the orchestra and piano, great melodies. Listen to the synth orchestra and piano parts only here

THAT ^ is beautiful in places. Really think, although one of the biggest complaints with the album is too many layers, it worked wonderfully on this song.

That's sounds really good. Could work on its own, without the other layers, on an instrumental album or a movie soundtrack.

Same for this:

As a GN'R fan, I'm always recommending songs to different people, but this is not one of them. It's a good song, but I don't think most people would like it, unless they are an Axl/GN'R fan in the first place. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's my take. It's just too outside of the box for casual listeners.

For me it was one of those statements - "this is what he was working on, this is what he fought for".
The extra guitars (By Bumble? Who does that bend at the start?) I don't like and I feel like the vocal performance is inconsistent.
(Or maybe the performance is fine, I just don't understand the choices).

The lyrics are strange in places and downright cryptic. This is one of those songs I'd like to hear an explanation about.

1. Who's "you"
  2. "Love that you fed by perversion and pain" - how do you feed love with those things? What does that look like?
  3. "Forgive what you have / for what you might lose" - interesting and unique phrasing, but how does it work? Forgive what you have or lose more?
  4. "If not for the ones / That you could not save" - who are the ones 'you' couldn't save? If not for? Why would she/he have turned to them?
  5. "turned to the hearts of the ones that you would not save" - WOULD not save, why wouldn't the person?
  6. "Reasons they'e taught us" - what reasons? Why do they give way?

So, I love the song, but there's so much I don't understand.
    Also the outro and all the underlying piano and effects is just amazing. There is a ton going on there with that song.
Edited by Gagarin

For me it was one of those statements - "this is what he was working on, this is what he fought for".

The extra guitars (By Bumble? Who does that bend at the start?) I don't like and I feel like the vocal performance is inconsistent.

The lyrics are strange in places and downright cryptic. This is one of those songs I'd like to hear an explanation about.

1. Who's "you"
  2. "Love that you fed by perversion and pain" - how do you feed love with those things? What does that look like?
  3. "Forgive what you have / for what you might lose" - interesting and unique phrasing, but how does it work? Forgive what you have or lose more?
  4. "If not for the ones / That you could not save" - who are the ones 'you' couldn't save? If not for? Why would she/he have turned to them?
  5. "turned to the hearts of the ones that you would not save" - WOULD not save, why wouldn't the person?

Also the outro and all the underlying piano and effects is just amazing. There is a ton going on there with that song.

I totally agree with you. I would love to hear it explained as well.

When I heard it the first time, I didn't like it so much, but it grew on me. Therefore, I agree with Jarrick too, it's not a song that the casual listener would immediately love, imo.

Best song on album.

Agree with everything you said there - I love hearing stripped back versions of the songs, some of the orchestration is beautiful, again if anyone has any links to any more instrumental/stripped back tracks from the album please let me know (I do follow mr Street of Dreams on Soundcloud, he's usually good for different/alternate versions of GN'R tracks)

Interesting, never heard that before, pretty different without Bumbles' rhythms and the synth being higher in the mix. Is this from the Skwerl leaks? Think I still prefer album version, that little Bucket blues fill at 1:40 is too low in the mix in this one, but this is cool all the same.

1. Who's "you"

I agree, I like it but the lyrics are confusing. I think the YOU maybe a composite, like about different people.

You could say Seymour became a prostitute, she sold her self to a richer man. She was the envy of youth, a model. But it's also seems like about not doing a reunion or doing something artistically for fortune and fame. Slash similar maybe.

I think in both cases he had to come to terms with that reality. His integrity over other things, but it doesn't mean he doesn't love those people.

Like he can't see how she could just sell her self like that. He won't do a reunion for fortune and fame either. He had to streamline and pull through, accept a different life. Forgive what you have, for what you might lose - as in be happy with your soul kind of thing, cause you could lose it.

I think it might be "paid for with Perversion and pain" - he's saying when you sell your body as a model or do music for money etc. it's perverted and painful to you, your soul, he won't do it. You may feel like it's love you are getting from fame but you are really just selling your soul.

I feel like some of lyrics are printed wrong "careful yet unafraid" might be easier to make sense of. It's just hard to make sense of it without the confirmed lyrics.

I think so of double speak is because of loving them but having to walk away for his own good. If you are going to misunderstand me or think I'm doing something wrong, you shouldn't expect to me enjoy my affectations for you. It's like he can't just tell them to fuck off because he loves them but he's trying to get away from them for his own good. It's like he feels like he's being blamed for something where he is the one doing the right thing.

I don't know, it's pretty hard to work out. Plus the music is more victorious than the complex lyrics

Again I think it's Told us not taught us. Why would he just jump to do a reunion when these people who want that have been laughing at him. And all their reasons to do it don't hold up, make no sense to him.

I didn't listen to the leaks. I have to say that when I first listened to the album, Prostitute was one of the songs that I didn't like at all. Today, I think it's tied with Madagascar and Sorry for the 1rst place. I think the only weak point is the way Axl delivers the lyrics, his diction is horrible. Otherwise, Prostitute is to me a better song than November Rain.

Love it.

It's one of the highlights of CD, I do wish it started the way it ends; a slow buildup with the piano melody more audible (instead of buried in drums and guitar) would have been better. That said, once it's underway it's such a rocking tune with cool buildups and amazing piano, orchestra and singing (so hard to reach 'fame' twice in this song when I try to sing it :wacko:). It's another example to me of an excellent track on CD that amazingly could benefit from more work done to it (others being Catcher, Madagascar, TWAT).

Edited by Bumblefeet