AFD to be re-released as Blu-Ray Audio

Ubertrout

This has been going around the audiophile forums, but I'm not sure if folks here are aware of it...Appetite for Destruction is among the slate of "High Fidelity Pure Audio" Blu-Ray audio releases to come from Universal. The disc will be playable in any blu-ray player, and will feature the album at a resolution of 24-bit/96 khz, compared to 16-bit/44.1 khz for regular CD. More info here. While blu-ray audio can have a 5.1 mix, most HFPA releases have only been in stereo, and there is no reason to think AFD will have a surround mix.

There is also apparently a HFPA sampler already in the wild which features Welcome to the Jungle in high-resolution. More info here.

No release date or anything, but is clearly in the pipeline.

Edited by Ubertrout

Any clue whether it's going to be the real Appetite, or something that's partially or entirely re-recorded? Does it differ from the original record in any way other than audio quality? (i.e. different mixes, added material, re-recorded parts etc)

This has been going around the audiophile forums, but I'm not sure if folks here are aware of it...Appetite for Destruction is among the slate of "High Fidelity Pure Audio" Blu-Ray audio releases to come from Universal. The disc will be playable in any blu-ray player, and will feature the album at a resolution of 24-bit/96 khz, compared to 16-bit/44.1 khz for regular CD. More info here. While blu-ray audio can have a 5.1 mix, most HFPA releases have only been in stereo, and there is no reason to think AFD will have a surround mix.

There is also apparently a HFPA sampler already in the wild which features Welcome to the Jungle in high-resolution. More info here.

No release date or anything, but is clearly in the pipeline.

Isn't that what Q Sound was for UYI.

Any clue whether it's going to be the real Appetite, or something that's partially or entirely re-recorded? Does it differ from the original record in any way other than audio quality? (i.e. different mixes, added material, re-recorded parts etc)

Why would you think it'd be the re-recorded version?

I hope it's a high res version of the original mastering and not a brickwalled mess. The other BD Audio were far from being audiophile quality (Nevermind was a joke, as were Breakfast in America or Layla).

Why would this not be in 5.1, let alone 7.1? The Metallica "Black Album" DVD-A is in 5.1 and is absolutely incredible.

Depends on who owns the multitrack masters. They still exist though, cause we have the partial stems from WTTJ.

Why would this not be in 5.1, let alone 7.1? The Metallica "Black Album" DVD-A is in 5.1 and is absolutely incredible.

Depends on who owns the multitrack masters. They still exist though, cause we have the partial stems from WTTJ.

Oh ok. I just had a bit of a root around and found that the majority of Blu ray Audio discs are in stereo. It's a bit of a let down. AFD would be fantastic in 5.1 or 7.1.

I have always wished the someone out there would have used the Chinese Democracy tracks to create a 5.1 mix but I don't think it ever eventuated.

There's still no release date for this which is a bummer. I also read on MSL's board that it's "indefinitely postponed" (or something to that effect).

I was excited about blu-ray audio initially but the reviews that have come out so far:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nirvana-In-Utero-Blu-ray/88498/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nirvana-Nevermind-Blu-ray/88499/#Review

have me less than excited.

Sounds like a waste of money if they're not using the source master tapes and Axl's not involved. I'm sure he's not going to disown it, but if he was planning on putting any remaster/remix/reissue, this just got in the way of it ever happening.

This was on Hoffman's forum and worth reading.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/industry-spotlight-pure-audio-boss-on-plans-for-the-blu-ray-format/

• Like 1

I hope to god it's the rerecorded one

This is actually great news. A full remaster would be nice too.

A release of the rerecorded 1999 version would be even better ^_^

JB is right again. I predicted the next release we saw from Guns N' Roses would feature the Classic Lineup. -_-

Hasn't been released yet therefore you aren't right :D