Interstellar

Georgy Zhukov

I liked it but I don't think it's something I'll ever desire to see again. I would have preferred actual alien lifeforms to what we got as a resolution.

Pity because movies like this are right up my alley. I've seen Contact a hundred times and a hundred times I've teared up at the father/daughter scenes.

I thought it was excellent. A modern day sci fi masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't go in expecting wicked Nolan aliens and I wasn't looking to compare it to his other movies.

As a singular work I found it quite compelling and on par with the achievements of 2001.

The time flew by, I was completely drawn in.

I will definitely be adding this to my sci-fi collection, hopefully in a nice steel book.

• Like 1

Saw it at a 9:30am sold out screening at the BFI IMAX on Friday. Apparently there were more than 200 people at the 5:30am screening before us.

I really liked it, but had my quibbles and it wasn't the film I was expecting.

Just seen it a 2nd time (IMAX again, but Science Museum this time, fittingly), this time with a friend, another sold-out show.

I loved it this time. My mate loved the film, too. I'd say I prefer it to Inception,which I also loved (but haven't seen in 4 years), but The Dark Knight Rises is still my favourite Nolan film, followed by The Prestige. I'd go as far to say that I prefer this to 2001, just for the emotional element (I teared up a few times on both viewings).

That love speech by Hathaway's character is awful, though. My only real problem with the film. I'm not a complete cynic, like I said, I choked up a few times, but that dialogue was terrible.

Matthew McConaughey is brilliant. TARS is the man.

Zimmer's score was beautiful, my favourite of the year along with Clint Mansell's for Noah. God dammit, why is it not out until the 18th?!

I've been hearing that a second viewing really opens up the experience.

I think with the first viewing, I was expecting more space exploration-y stuff.

Which is what the first draft seems to have, and this summary makes it sound awful compared to final film:

http://interstellarfilm.wikia.com/wiki/2008_script

I noticed both this and The Prestige start with the title over a shot of something seemingly insignificant (hats in The Prestige, bookcase in Interstellar). Also, TDK, TDKR and now Interstellar all end with a hopeful voiceover over a montage.

New film by Christopher Nolan.

Holy shit Zimmer's main theme was already in this teaser a year ago and I had no clue.

Thought the teaser was OK at the time but watching it now got me all emotional.

I saw the first official trailer with the music from V for Vendetta (Evey Reborn, one of my favourite pieces of film music) and was sold, and refused to watch the 2 subsequent trailers. Really glad I didn't, because they spoil some of the best parts, and they're edited pretty awkwardly.

Everyone backed out on seeing it tonight, and I didn't feel like going alone. Guess I'll go next weekend.

I really recommend 70mm IMAX. I can't imagine seeing it any other way now.

Yeah, definitely catching it in IMAX. Basically anytime something I'm going to see is available in IMAX, I opt for that. Sometimes if it's not 3D I'll save a few bucks and skip the IMAX but that's an exception, not the rule.

Everyone backed out on seeing it tonight, and I didn't feel like going alone. Guess I'll go next weekend.

Yeah, definitely catching it in IMAX. Basically anytime something I'm going to see is available in IMAX, I opt for that. Sometimes if it's not 3D I'll save a few bucks and skip the IMAX but that's an exception, not the rule.

This details all the ways to see the film:

https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see

I'd rank it as:

1. 70mm IMAX (full film frame for IMAX-shot scenes, 4x higher resolution than digital IMAX)

2. IMAX (full film frame for IMAX scenes, but lower resolution than 70mm)

3. 70mm (highest film quality along with 70mm IMAX, but unlike 70mm IMAX the top and bottom of IMAX scenes will be cropped)

Apparently there's one 70mm IMAX in Rochester: https://www.imax.com/theatres/t/cinemark-tinseltown-usa-imax/

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

I'd rank it as:

1. 70mm IMAX (full film frame for IMAX-shot scenes, 4x higher resolution than digital IMAX)

3. 70mm (highest film quality along with 70mm IMAX, but unlike 70mm IMAX the top and bottom of IMAX scenes will be cropped)

Apparently there's one 70mm IMAX in Rochester: https://www.imax.com/theatres/t/cinemark-tinseltown-usa-imax/

Didn't realize there were multiple formats for IMAX. That theater you linked to is the only theater in the area that does IMAX, so I'm glad they've got the 70mm. Stupid question though - that theater is also listed in the theaters for regular IMAX. Does that list encompass both the standard IMAX and the 70mm IMAX? i.e. will my theater only be showing it in 70mm?

I'd rank it as:

Didn't realize there were multiple formats for IMAX. That theater you linked to is the only theater in the area that does IMAX, so I'm glad they've got the 70mm. Stupid question though - that theater is also listed in the theaters for regular IMAX. Does that list encompass both the standard IMAX and the 70mm IMAX? i.e. will my theater only be showing it in 70mm?

I'm guessing it will, since I can't imagine a cinema having both kinds of projectors, simply because the 70mm projectors/film reels are HUGE.

Here's a photo from reddit:

0tPbysl.jpg

I just saw it tonight and it was ok. I don't really like Anne Hathaway and I didn't like her character. There is a "twist" or whatever you wanna call it but I figured it out barely half way through so the pay off wasn't as good as I hoped it would be especially given how long the movie was. It was interesting enough to keep me into it but it's no classic by any means. To be honest Contact which stared Mathew McCoughney as well was much better than this. I Also I know a lot of people are raving about how visually stunning it was.... meh. It wasn't anything special as far as Im concerened and to be honest if a movie needs to be seen in IMAX for it to be good, it's not that great to begin with. Fancy effects can't make up for lack of story or decent characters. It was an ok movie and a good night out but not anything I care to see again.

6/10

Contact is most definitely of a higher quality.

Chris Nolan needs to stop swinging for the fences. Make a smaller, more personal movie. His last two have been too ambitious.

Their scope amplifies the flaws of the films. The third acts of TDKR and Interstellar hinder the rest of the movies and it takes its toil on the audience when you ask them to sit there for three hours.

I have yet to see the film, people I know who have seen it have said it is boring, ok at best. None of them would watch it again.

Yet it is 9/10 on IMDB.

Is this case of people wanting to like the movie rather than naturally liking the movie?

I love the movie but a 9/10 on IMDB to me seems like Nolan fans just giving it 10/10 because it's Nolan. On first viewing I would have given it a 7, on 2nd viewing an 8. There's only 2 films I'd give a 10/10, and a small handful that I'd give a 9.

Can't wait to get the score by Hans Zimmer. It's released on the 17th.

It's fucking killing me, man. Even resorted to listening to rips on YouTube from boots of the film (the docking scene in particular).

There's a super-duper limited edition that's only being released in US :/

http://www.myplaydirect.com/interstellar-soundtrack/interstellar-soundtrack-illuminated-star-projection-edition/details/33155828

I have yet to see the film, people I know who have seen it have said it is boring, ok at best. None of them would watch it again.

Yet it is 9/10 on IMDB.

Is this case of people wanting to like the movie rather than naturally liking the movie?

It's people having pre-conceived notions about what it's about, other's short attention spans.

It isn't perfect, but it's still a very good film especially if you're not expecting "inception" in space.

It's the most cringeworthy writing I've seen in ages, especially for a big budget movie. I actually felt like leaving the theatre a few times. Honestly, it's like REALLY bad. I was hoping the visuals would save it at least but they're not particularly impressive in any way, like Avatar's were (where incredible visuals totally overshadowed bad writing). MMC's performance is pretty much the only good thing about it.