Interstellar

Georgy Zhukov

Speaking of Aliens I think Cameron has made a few great films, putting Avatar/Titanic aside. Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies and the first two Terminator films are classics to me in different ways. Fantastic imaginative blockbusters.

I like a lot of his films, but I've always thought True Lies was way over the top....almost seems like a spoof at times..... :lol:

Speaking of Aliens I think Cameron has made a few great films, putting Avatar/Titanic aside. Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies and the first two Terminator films are classics to me in different ways. Fantastic imaginative blockbusters.

I like a lot of his films, but I've always thought True Lies was way over the top....almost seems like a spoof at times..... :lol:

Bill Paxton is absolutely brilliant in that film... and every other Cameron film he's in. Shame he wasn't in Avatar.

All I've got is a 15" laptop

What?

Yeah, just a Macbook Pro. Oh, and a 17" 4:3 LCD screen to play Dreamcast on :P

Can't afford a TV right now with all the money I spend on Axl and Slash :lol:

With all the money you have spent in concerts you could have a top-notch home cinema by now.

:lol:

Well at least I had some top-notch GNR shows the past couple of years!

Waitaminute...

Ive_Made_a_Huge_Mistake.jpg

Amir, do yourself a favor and please, save money for a home cinema. You won't regret it. You're missing out a fucking lot, man.

I borrowed a projector off my dad about 7 years ago when I was at uni since he got an HDTV, then I lent it to my aunt, who's had it in her attic for years and never touched it! It'd be great for my flat as it wouldn't take up as much room as a TV.

I still can't see myself buying a Blu-Ray player, though, I'd probably just download HD films off iTunes since it's more convenient (easier to redownload, etc.). I know you don't get as many special features with digital downloads, but I don't have the time to go through things like the LOTR appendices like I did in my misspent youth.

The one thing that really bugged me was that Cooper was supposed to be the best pilot NASA ever had, so it would be assumed that he had a good amount of knowledge about space. However before visiting the first planet, he had to have black holes explained to him like he was five. I know he wasn't an astrophysicist or anything, and I know the sole purpose of that scene was to explain to viewers who know nothing about black holes what they are, but I just didn't find it believable that he wouldn't know a single thing about black holes - the the point of having to be told "that's why they're called black holes".

YES. Thank you, I totally agree. It felt really awkward, and I felt like it was kind of patronizing to the audience. While I do have a degree in physics, I don't know of anyone (especially not sci-fi fans) that couldn't tell you the basics of black holes like they did in the movie. I felt like much of the rest of the movie was speaking to the audience's intelligence, which I greatly appreciate. But being talked down to like a child? That I didn't appreciate.

On another note, I've never seen a regular movie in IMAX before, only educational documentary films. But a year or two ago, my small city's theater upgraded one of their auditoriums to an IMAX auditorium. I finally decided that maybe this movie merited my seeing it in IMAX. I don't know if it was just this particular theater, or if most IMAX theaters are about the same, but I really couldn't tell a difference. If I didn't know I had an IMAX ticket and that I was walking into the IMAX auditorium, I wouldn't have known in was in IMAX. It just felt like a cash grab on the part of the theater without adding any additional value to the product. I'm glad I saw it in the theater, but if I had known, I would have just seen it in the standard theater.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

While I do have a degree in physics, I don't know of anyone (especially not sci-fi fans) that couldn't tell you the basics of black holes like they did in the movie

You'd be surprised. I was surprised when some people were still confused even after that scene. Sigh.

On another note, I've never seen a regular movie in IMAX before, only educational documentary films. But a year or two ago, my small city's theater upgraded one of their auditoriums to an IMAX auditorium. I finally decided that maybe this movie merited my seeing it in IMAX. I don't know if it was just this particular theater, or if most IMAX theaters are about the same, but I really couldn't tell a difference. If I didn't know I had an IMAX ticket and that I was walking into the IMAX auditorium, I wouldn't have known in was in IMAX. It just felt like a cash grab on the part of the theater without adding any additional value to the product. I'm glad I saw it in the theater, but if I had known, I would have just seen it in the standard theater.

It was probably an "IMAX Digital" (most likely if it was an AMC). They're nowhere near as big as "true" 70mm IMAX and are about a quarter of the resolution:

IMAXdigitalScope.gif

4uy7TtT.jpg

The one thing that really bugged me was that Cooper was supposed to be the best pilot NASA ever had, so it would be assumed that he had a good amount of knowledge about space. However before visiting the first planet, he had to have black holes explained to him like he was five. I know he wasn't an astrophysicist or anything, and I know the sole purpose of that scene was to explain to viewers who know nothing about black holes what they are, but I just didn't find it believable that he wouldn't know a single thing about black holes - the the point of having to be told "that's why they're called black holes".

YES. Thank you, I totally agree. It felt really awkward, and I felt like it was kind of patronizing to the audience. While I do have a degree in physics, I don't know of anyone (especially not sci-fi fans) that couldn't tell you the basics of black holes like they did in the movie. I felt like much of the rest of the movie was speaking to the audience's intelligence, which I greatly appreciate. But being talked down to like a child? That I didn't appreciate.

Right on. My friend I saw it with said "Well yeah, but he's a pilot - not an astrophysicist". That's a bullshit excuse. If they want to explain a black hole to the audience like they're five, but they should've found a better way to do it than make Cooper look as if he was five. It's just not possible that someone could be involved in NASA and not know a single thing about black holes.

What an incredible movie. It was hard to come back to reality after that. Everything seemed so insignificant.

The biggest complain I had was Matt Damon. My friends and I literally laughed when it turned out to be Matt Damon in the cryosleep tank. Then, we were confused regarding the mechanics of why Matt Damon had to betray the main character and what exactly he was doing. Just the weaker part of the movie, but it's ok, it was such a big movie. There's a lot going on and many themes being touched on.

Also, the love bit was cheesy and just didn't belong in the movie. Not to mention how they stereotypically gave the "makes dumb decisions on feelings/love instead of logic" role to a woman. For such a good movie I'd think they'd be better than that.

What an incredible movie. It was hard to come back to reality after that. Everything seemed so insignificant.

The biggest complain I had was Matt Damon. My friends and I literally laughed when it turned out to be Matt Damon in the cryosleep tank. Then, we were confused regarding the mechanics of why Matt Damon had to betray the main character and what exactly he was doing. Just the weaker part of the movie, but it's ok, it was such a big movie. There's a lot going on and many themes being touched on.

Also, the love bit was cheesy and just didn't belong in the movie. Not to mention how they stereotypically gave the "makes dumb decisions on feelings/love instead of logic" role to a woman. For such a good movie I'd think they'd be better than that.

I really liked what they did with Damon. It was heartbreaking and showed that even the strongest human being would be pushed to the edge with isolation and despair

I just thought of something. As was discussed a few posts back, they have a few lines in there where they explain to the audience what a black hole is, as if they are a child. But they don't ever really explain what a tesseract is. Maybe this is just my experience, but when I was a kid, I could have told you the basic idea of a black hole. But I had never heard of a tesseract until I was probably 19 or 20 and started studying math and physics, and even then it doesn't come up much. I figure most people out there don't know what a tesseract is. I would not have felt insulted if they had explained that, but the black hole, at least in the way they did it? I felt like it was condescending.

Also the tidal forces on that water planet being manifested in a couple giant waves bothered me, but I overlooked that for the sake of the movie.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

I just thought of something. As was discussed a few posts back, they have a few lines in there where they explain to the audience what a black hole is, as if they are a child. But they don't ever really explain what a tesseract is. Maybe this is just my experience, but when I was a kid, I could have told you the basic idea of a black hole. But I had never heard of a tesseract until I was probably 19 or 20 and started studying math and physics, and even then it doesn't come up much. I figure most people out there don't know what a tesseract is. I would not have felt insulted if they had explained that, but the black hole, at least in the way they did it? I felt like it was condescending.

Also the tidal forces on that water planet being manifested in a couple giant waves bothered me, but I overlooked that for the sake of the movie.

Didn't really think about the tesseract in relation to the black hole. I agree it could've used an explanation now that I'm consciously thinking about it. Maybe this was just me, but since people keep (Not on here per se) bringing up Interstellar in comparison to 2001, I saw the third act of Interstellar as mirroring the third act of 2001, which fundamentally is (More so than at any other point in either film at least) going into the unknown. Maybe that's just me though :shrugs:

I wouldn't recommend seeing it in Imax - you're paying extra for the ticket but there aren't any particularly striking visuals to make it worth it.

I wouldn't recommend seeing it at all cuz it's a crap movie, but that's a different story.

I thought the scenes involving Matt Damon were some of the few redeeming qualities of the film. He and Matthew McConaughughheyheyyhy gave alright performances (nothing truly spectacular but solid nonetheless); the bits about loneliness and despair and giving up by going to sleep and that line about Matt Damon hopes you never feel, well I don't quite remember the line, but it was good; the fight on the ice wasteland was good; some people were saying it looked ridiculous but I thought the inelegance of it made sense - fighting desperately to stay alive when everything around you is hostile, there was a feeling of lifelessness, of fighting not against anyone or anything in particular but against death itself. Nolan still excels at capturing particular moments, at dragging you straight into the moment, where you forget about everything else, except it seems with every film he's worse and worse at it and they just get less and less interesting. Or maybe I'm becoming more cynical , who knows... The docking scene should have been interesting and captivating and it makes sense that it would be but I just remember being bored and wanting to leave. Maybe if it had been earlier in the movie I would've cared but by that time I was so over this shit I just hoped the cringe would be kept at a minimum.

Finally got around to seeing it over the weekend. Was a bit disappointed. Too many plot holes. The score was awesome tho! Zimmer has really made up for his shitty Man of Steel score.

List some of the plotholes?

The bookshelf scene at the end ruined it for me. Still good atmosphere and effects. But wouldn't rewatch it. Great blockbuster though.

It didn't blow your mind when it was revealed that the STAY message was actually initiated by the main character all along? How about how at one point in the beginning he says something about how being a parent is basically being your kids' ghost in that your job is to just make memories for them; and then in the end, he was in fact the "ghost" that his little girl talked about all along?

------------

Also, I think what is more condescending is some of yous assuming everyone knows the workings of a black hole.

Edited by Jakey Styley

Finally got around to seeing it over the weekend. Was a bit disappointed. Too many plot holes. The score was awesome tho! Zimmer has really made up for his shitty Man of Steel score.

-If the 5th dimensional beings were people all along, why not put the wormhole entrance right beside Earth as apposed to Saturn? Furthermore, why not have the other side of it lead directly to the final planet, since they should know by that point that it is the only one of the 3 which can potentially sustain life.

-When Cooper leaves the 5th dimensional bookshelf abstract thing, we see that many more decades have passed and that Murph is now an old lady. Since Amelia Brand never entered the black hole herself, one would assume that she has also aged significantly. But at the end of the film, elder Murph tells Cooper that Brand is still "setting up shop." Furthermore, if I remember correctly, in the very last shot of the film we see Amelia (again, still young) walking towards Cooper (my memory is a bit hazy on this and that last shot happened so quick so I don't really remember if Cooper was there but I think he was).

There were a few other things that made me scratch my head upon first viewing the film but in the days since then I've been able to think about it a bit more and have realized it's not quite as bad of a film as I had initially thought. I wouldn't pay to see it again in theaters but if it's ever on cable and I feel like relaxing while watching a decent film, I'd give it another spin.

The bookshelf scene at the end ruined it for me. Still good atmosphere and effects. But wouldn't rewatch it. Great blockbuster though.

It didn't blow your mind when it was revealed that the STAY message was actually initiated by the main character all along? How about how at one point in the beginning he says something about how being a parent is basically being your kids' ghost in that your job is to just make memories for them; and then in the end, he was in fact the "ghost" that his little girl talked about all along?

------------

Also, I think what is more condescending is some of yous assuming everyone knows the workings of a black hole.

It was more visually McC bouncing around that 3D maze and knocking on the bookshelf. High school play shit. It was like a bad Omega watch commercial or something, visually it just jarred me after so much minimalist space beauty. I prefer elegance. The detective is the killer didn't really blow my mind, it was more like oh that old chestnut. No problem with it, you've got to use some device. I still don't know how a black hole works, I'm not even sure they really exist. So I would prefer when he disappears into the singularity it just cut to his daughter spelling it out. Finesse that shit. Then I'd go back watching the shit out of it over and over. But that scene is one of the most heavy handed scenes I've seen. It just stands out to me. Maybe it's iconic. Casio are going to steal that for sure.

• 5 weeks later...