Post a picture of how you imagine other forum members to be

wfuckinga

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Immediately, and without knowing any details, I would go for the "other side of the coin" job - just because it allows you to broaden out and get more varied experience, it might also be the stepping stone to dream jobs that were previously unavailable to you. Sounds more adventurous, and I am sucker for adventure.

Huh, I would have thought it would be a purely music-oriented podcast, but that personal angle, if done correctly, can make for a much more powerful podcast. It's a good idea to start up something like this, keeps you sharp while in-between jobs. Just the production of it and the talking bit which I assume you are really good at already considering your long experience from radio. 

Oh well, it seems like you haven't been knocked out and are bewildered, you think clearly and have a plan to get back up again. That's a compliment to your mentality - well done and the best of luck!

If the other side of the coin presents itself, I think that’s the one that’s going to win out. There’s still a lot that I want to accomplish on the radio side of things, though. It’s really a toss-up. I wouldn’t say no to either. Neither would really be terrible options.

I feel like doing a music oriented podcast would just make it get lost in the shuffle. I see it as being more of an audio journal than a podcast, really. At least that’s the form that I see it taking in my mind.

Don’t get me wrong - there’s good and bad days while dealing with all of this, and I’ve certainly been manic with some of my mood swings lately - the stress and sheer unknown of it all right now is a lot to handle at times. 

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're guilty of placing Bob Marley's Legend and Long Walk to Freedom around your house so they're strategically conspicuous to visitors, aren't you? 

Usually try to chuck in some Bertrand Russell and a copy of the Bell Jar in case I ever have some lesbians over. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Usually try to chuck in some Bertrand Russell and a copy of the Bell Jar in case I ever have some lesbians over. :lol: 

You also replaced the covers of your DVD collection, copious amounts of '80s actioners with black people gunned-down into smithereens by muscle bound aryans, with the covers from slavery films and the entire filmography of Denzel Washington, haven't you? That 12 Years A Slave on your shelf actually contains a DVD of Commando, doesn't it?

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You also replaced the covers of your DVD collection, copious amounts of '80s actioners with black people gunned-down into smithereens by muscle bound aryans, with the covers from slavery films and the entire filmography of Denzel Washington, haven't you? That 12 Years A Slave on your shelf actually contains a DVD of Commando, doesn't it?

I actually have multiple different sleeves depending on the occasion. Could be 12 Years a Slave, could be Beaches, could be Sophie’s Choice.

I’ve got a whole shelf of Spike Lee labels just in case. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

21 hours ago, Dazey said:

When I look at my book collection its actually disgracefully naff.  I think I've got a Bertrand Russell in there somewhere but most of it is like biographies of rock stars and boxers.  Bit of Burroughs, bit of Dickens, bit of Hunter S Thompson.  But then you've got stuff like Nigel Benns autobiography, which is unintentionally quite hilairious.  There's some cracking lines in it.  When talking about ex manager Peter Defraitas:

'If he thinks he's fuckin' hard he knows where to find me'

On the story of when he found out his ex was pregnant:

' ''whoose is it?' I blurted out.  She threw a cake at me '

:lol:

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Cuz they don't tend to have the ones you want.

I've never had that problem and I've been a member since I must have been 8 years old. Libraries here work together, if my local library doesn't have the book I want, they will order it at another library.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I've never had that problem and I've been a member since I must have been 8 years old. Libraries here work together, if my local library doesn't have the book I want, they will order it at another library.

You might want em to hand for academic purposes.  Or you might be lazy and can't be fucked to go to the library to get it or have to be bothered about returning it in 3 weeks.  Or you might read weird shit like The Satanic Bible or The Gates of Janus by Ian Brady :lol:

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

You might want em to hand for academic purposes.  Or you might be lazy and can't be fucked to go to the library to get it or have to be bothered about returning it in 3 weeks.  Or you might read weird shit like The Satanic Bible or The Gates of Janus by Ian Brady :lol:

That's the only ''problem'', I suppose, but nowadays you can look up almost everything online, so you don't need the book to find what you're looking for. Plus you can borrow the same book as often as you want, or borrow it for as long as you want.

The price of a book is what.... 15 euros on average? (it very much depends, though) I try to read at least one book a week, so that's about 15 euro x 52 weeks = 780 euro per year give or take, for something I can get for free.

That's nuts. Or maybe not if I were rich, but sadly I am not.

26 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why buy books when you can get them for free at your local library? I have probably saved thousands of euros (and trees?) in my life this way.

Firstly I persistently require them (non-fiction/history) for research - I'd be back and forth to the library every day! Secondly, I re-read a lot of books for enjoyment so it makes sense owning them. Thirdly, I take great pleasure in the aesthetics of books, the binding and smell you get from vintage tomes. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Firstly I persistently require them (non-fiction/history) for research - I'd be back and forth to the library every day! Secondly, I re-read a lot of books for enjoyment so it makes sense owning them. Thirdly, I take great pleasure in the aesthetics of books, the binding and smell you get from vintage tomes. 

All of that is possible with a borrowed book from the library, plus you know you're helping the environment.

Just now, EvanG said:

All of that is possible with a borrowed book from the library, plus you know you're helping the environment.

No it isn't haha.

My library has a three week limit before renewal. I'd have to keep about twenty-thirty gigantic books in a state of constant renewal, books that I would have had to order anyhow (my medium sized library can order from other libraries in the county) because they are somewhat esoteric. I literally couldn't function! 

No it isn't haha.

My library has a three week limit before renewal. I'd have to keep about twenty-thirty gigantic books in a state of constant renewal, books that I would have had to order anyhow (my medium sized library can order from other libraries in the county) because they are somewhat esoteric. I literally couldn't function! 

It might take some adjustments, sure, but you're bright enough, I'm sure you can handle. And while doing so you're saving tons of money and, not totally unimportant, trees!

Just now, EvanG said:

It might take some adjustments, sure, but you're bright enough, I'm sure you can handle. And while doing so you're saving tons of money and, not totally unimportant, trees!

I couldn't give a monkeys about environmentalism, and books are one of my great pleasures that I don't begrudge spending money on.

I couldn't give a monkeys about environmentalism, and books are one of my great pleasures that I don't begrudge spending money on.

Mine too, but if I have the choice between reading the same book for free or spending a lot of money on it and having it collect dust on my shelf the majority of the time when I am not using it (no matter how comforting it is to have a room filled with books) I would still choose the first option, also because of financial reasons, I try to read a lot and books aren't cheap. And I do care about the environment.

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Mine too, but if I have the choice between reading the same book for free or spending a lot of money on it and having it collect dust on my shelf the majority of the time when I am not using it (no matter how comforting it is to have a room filled with books) I would still choose the first option, also because of financial reasons, I try to read a lot and books aren't cheap. And I do care about the environment.

I don't find books too bad price wise. A bog-standard standard paperback can be picked up on Amazon marketplace or ebay for £3 postage included, however even for vintage/hardback stuff, I have found some excellent deals around the £15 mark. It is certainly a much cheaper past time than computer gaming and live concert attending - both of which I ditched.

But as I said, I actually collect vintage books for the aesthetic appeal of them, i.e., I collect them in the same way one would collect vinyl or old American comics. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1