The T.V. Show Thread

Georgy Zhukov

I just watched the first four episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.

Although I still completely disagree with the decision to change the Klingons and do not like their lumpy new design (why mess with perfection?), I was pleasantly surprised. It adopts the modern television (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc) serialised format, but this is not alien (no pun intended) to Star Trek as DS9 with the Dominion War and Voyager had already used serialised arcs - whether we get more episodic sections in the future is a good question. It reminds me mostly of DS9, DS9 ''on ships''. Like that series it is not exactly Roddenberry-esque: Starfleet are very flawed and militaristic (remember USS Defiant?). The action is also very Star Warys ''JJ Abrams''. I suspect however as a prequel to TOS the idea is that it will become the utopia Gene created - in other words this is all about, how we got there?.

It does possess flaws besides these annoying Klingons, who speak by the way like they have a sock in their mouth. A bit disjointed structurally perhaps. I liked Michael Burham and even more so Saru, who is a very Trekkian alien (a bit like an Odo character), and like the casting of those characters however the rest of the crew/cast are yet to grow on me I'm afraid. Overall though it is a fairly good beginning.

If this had proper Klingons in it I could really be enthusiastic about it. What a stupid decision!

• Like 1

I watched Valor. It has the actress who was in Blood Drive. It's on the CW channel on Monday nights.

Also watched:

The Mick

Brooklyn 99

The middle

Chrisley knows best.

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just watched the first four episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.

Although I still completely disagree with the decision to change the Klingons and do not like their lumpy new design (why mess with perfection?), I was pleasantly surprised. It adopts the modern television (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc) serialised format, but this is not alien (no pun intended) to Star Trek as DS9 with the Dominion War and Voyager had already used serialised arcs - whether we get more episodic sections in the future is a good question. It reminds me mostly of DS9, DS9 ''on ships''. Like that series it is not exactly Roddenberry-esque: Starfleet are very flawed and militaristic (remember USS Defiant?). The action is also very Star Warys ''JJ Abrams''. I suspect however as a prequel to TOS the idea is that it will become the utopia Gene created - in other words this is all about, how we got there?.

It does possess flaws besides these annoying Klingons, who speak by the way like they have a sock in their mouth. A bit disjointed structurally perhaps. I liked Michael Burham and even more so Saru, who is a very Trekkian alien (a bit like an Odo character), and like the casting of those characters however the rest of the crew/cast are yet to grow on me I'm afraid. Overall though it is a fairly good beginning.

If this had proper Klingons in it I could really be enthusiastic about it. What a stupid decision!

Does this show take place before the original Star Trek or after it?

Maybe the Kingons evolved or looked like this before? I keep forgetting this show is on because of the Sunday football games and how they sometimes interrupt the tv shows.

2 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I watched Valor. It has the actress who was in Blood Drive. It's on the CW channel on Monday nights.

Also watched:

The Mick

Brooklyn 99

The middle

Chrisley knows best.

Does this show take place before the original Star Trek or after it?

Maybe the Kingons evolved or looked like this before? I keep forgetting this show is on because of the Sunday football games and how they sometimes interrupt the tv shows.

It is set between ST: Enterprise and ST:TOS. Apparently it is a direct prequel to the TOS and will evolve into the aesthetics and ethics of the Kirk era, but I cannot see how they're going to do it personally.

• Like 1

I recently re-watched Enterprise as it happens. Missed opportunity in my opinion as they do get a lot of things right but the scripts were simply not there. The first two seasons are remarkably pedestrian considering this is a prequel show: your standard humanoid colony harbouring secret or menaced by some entity guff. They then brought in the Xindi to improve ratings for season three, basically an attempt to repeat the success of DS9's Dominion, and that didn't really work either. It is only in season four that it began to function as a proper 'prequel show' - and indeed, that is their best season so it is a shame it was cancelled soon after. I thought they shot themselves in the foot by introducing time travel at the very beginning - in the pilot; I was never that keen on time travel in Trek except for that TOS episode, ''All Our Yesterdays' I think it is called. If I want time travel I would watch Doctor Who. You consequentially get all these confusing time paradoxes which do my head in.

PS

In the Mirror Darkly is one of the wildest most fun episodes of Trek ever. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Star trek Discovery. The first 2 episodes were boring. Then it got better. I like it. Although the woman playing Burnham is a poor choice. Why have a woman with a mans' name? I know they're trying to be all LGBTQ supportive, but at least they aren't shoving it down out throats. The Klingons look terrible, but once you get past that it's a good show. It has plus and minuses, but I guess It's better than no Trek at all.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:00 AM, Black Sabbath said:

Man friend talked up American Horror Story: Roanoke to me for a couple weeks. I watched it and thought it was terrible.

4/10

Avoid.

Yeah, didn't like last season. This season is better, but now it's getting too crazy. Only two more episodes to go. Hope they kill the cult guy because he's so damn annoying now. It's like he's Hitler with all his little Nazi's running around.

I watched:

Supernatural

Ghost Wars

Will and Grace

Superstore

The Good place

Great News

Arrow

Gotham

Swat

Blilndspot

The Exorcist

Z Nation

Superstition

Just happened upon this show. It's really great thus far.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:49 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I'm struggling with the feel of the show. It doesn't feel like Star Trek; it is difficult to explain but it is too fast-paced and action orientated and a bit all over the place. It needs to settle down a bit. 

Did you enjoy the last episode with the time loop plot? I thought that was the most "Star Trek" that this has been thus far.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Just happened upon this show. It's really great thus far.

Did you enjoy the last episode with the time loop plot? I thought that was the most "Star Trek" that this has been thus far.

It was but that is because it basically ripped-off TNG classic 'Cause and Effect'. It was the first 'stand alone' episode thus far.

• Like 1

The final episode of Discovery isn't until January 7th which is stupid. The penultimate episode was good with lots of twists and turns. Here are my predictions - only read if you've seen the most recent episode,

Spoiler

Tyler is that Klingon Voq. He has been surgically altered and had some weird mind thingy to make him human. 

They might now be in the 'mirror' universe, of original series (Mirror Mirror) fame, and recurring in DS9 and Enterprise. There again, they might not.

Still think there is something shifty about the captain

• Like 1

Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David.

The Talking Dead

Ghosted

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:45 AM, mishan said:

Riverdale is lots of fun.

Love this show! It's very good. I've watched it from season 1 and have loved it. Love the characters and the mysteries are so cool.

Everyone is not who they seem to be either. The show keeps you guessing and so many secrets revealed.