April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

so how was y'all's day after staying up late for the broadcast? (@magisme @Black Sabbath @DJAshba)

i got about three hours sleep and had to work an eight hour shift. for whatever miraculous reason i never crashed. i'm about to hit the gym before the inevitable crash consumes me and i pass out.

all in all, not as bad as when i stayed up all night for the Hammerstein shows or Rio 4!

Rock n' Roll! :wow:

• Like 1

Having TIL follow Better without a breather and including YCBM and KOHD were incredibly poor setlist choices for Axl's current voice. I can see why they'd want YCBM and KOHD to pick things up and not be ballad-centric but they're just too taxing for Axl these days. A few little things here and there like DJ being handed a correctly-tuned guitar could have elevated this from disaster level, but not past mediocrity.

I envy your positivity and diplomacy.

On a positive note, it was visible that Axl was acknowledging that he was not managing to pull it out. We also have the videos being blocked. Maybe - just maybe, a big maybe - that makes him reflect about getting in shape and training his voice a bit more.

It's a slim hope, but you never know. Though I think the only thing that would make him give a shit ever again is either a new album and the label 100% on board or an apology from Slash. Not trolling with that comment.

I did watch it all live....except I muted it at some points and was browsing the forum more than watching as it was so cringeworthy. Can you tell me specifically where you can see Axl acknowledging that he can't sing?

I can't be precise, I'd have to rewatch it. I remember seeing that yesterday - his insistence in going for rasp and stopping, and his body language while doing so. The pat on the back from BBF. You could feel he was struggling and not happy about it.

On a positive note, it was visible that Axl was acknowledging that he was not managing to pull it out. We also have the videos being blocked. Maybe - just maybe, a big maybe - that makes him reflect about getting in shape and training his voice a bit more.

What are you talking about ? There are still lots of videos on YT. I think BS said that the videos by Revolver were made private, that's all. You can still watch the whole show on YT.

What are you talking about ? There are still lots of videos on YT. I think BS said that the videos by Revolver were made private, that's all. You can still watch the whole show on YT.

Someone posted saying they contacted Revolver and were told that the videos were made private as per GNR's management request.

i think axl looked happier here than he has in a long time and seemed to be thoroughly trying.

that's why this performance particularly stings, imo. in the past, a lot of people have written off bad nights as flukes, or as him being unmotivated. tonight, you could tell he was really honored by the whole thing, and i think being forced onto a very small stage in an intimate venue with an original bandmember may have even brought back some nostalgia and memories (who knows?). all i know is, i could see it in his face, he was totally into it. and he still couldn't really deliver.

props to the guy for trying, but something needs to change. maybe he's just too old and done too much damage to his voice, and if so, fair enough. but certainly i'd imagine not wearing a million layers of clothing and doing a bit of cardio to get in better shape would work wonders for stage presence and vocals.

not hating, not being an internet whiner or the people axl doesn't perform for, just saying this as a fan making observations.

• Like 4

Jesus I read some of the comments from tha last pages and I was scared as fuck.I expected a disaster. I have watched the performance in youtube and all I can say is that you exaggerate it all. Sure Axl was out of breath in some parts and that the vocals weren´t perfect but the show wasn´t as bad as you guys say.

I totally agree.

It was basically Axl Rose in 2014. It wasn't great by any stretch, but nor was it cringe inducing like that horrendous Bridge School thing. Or for that matter, the 2002 MTV VMAs.

I dont have any low standards. Just because a performance isn´t perfect is not a reason to act as if it was the end of the world. If you want perfect vocals you should listen to a cd instead.

It's not about perfection, it's about sounding moderately decent, which he didn't do. The irony is that he got an award named after one of the most formidable voices in rock history. Sometimes i wonder if GNR fans have ever heard or gone to other concerts that are not GNR. Being a live show should never be an excuse for a true musician.

The overall performnace was ok and it's sad to say that the worst part was Axl, especially because Ashba was there trying to figure out his guitar too.

Axl deserves that award because even though his voice is not at its best right now his is one of the best voices of rock history too. And yes, I have attended many shows that are not GNR and some were good and some weren´t. I tend to value a show as a whole not just the lead singer´s performance.

Edited by November_rain

Jesus I read some of the comments from tha last pages and I was scared as fuck.I expected a disaster. I have watched the performance in youtube and all I can say is that you exaggerate it all. Sure Axl was out of breath in some parts and that the vocals weren´t perfect but the show wasn´t as bad as you guys say.

I totally agree.

It was basically Axl Rose in 2014. It wasn't great by any stretch, but nor was it cringe inducing like that horrendous Bridge School thing. Or for that matter, the 2002 MTV VMAs.

VMAs were much better than last night. Axl was running around, Madagascar was awesome, and Buckethead was there and DJ wasn't.

i think axl looked happier here than he has in a long time and seemed to be thoroughly trying.

that's why this performance particularly stings, imo. in the past, a lot of people have written off bad nights as flukes, or as him being unmotivated. tonight, you could tell he was really honored by the whole thing, and i think being forced onto a very small stage in an intimate venue with an original bandmember may have even brought back some nostalgia and memories (who knows?). all i know is, i could see it in his face, he was totally into it. and he still couldn't really deliver.

props to the guy for trying, but something needs to change. maybe he's just too old and done too much damage to his voice, and if so, fair enough. but certainly i'd imagine not wearing a million layers of clothing and doing a bit of cardio to get in better shape would work wonders for stage presence and vocals.

not hating, not being an internet whiner or the people axl doesn't perform for, just saying this as a fan making observations.

I feel that.

That is probably very accurate.

It's a mix of both, I think. He is getting old, and I think there is more about damage to his voice, possible surgeries than we know about.

At the same time, that could be balanced out if Axl placed himself in the optimal condition to get the best of the tools he still has. He doesn't do that.

if he were truly honored and wanted to make that night special he should have rehearsed, taken care of the details and make this an unforgettable night for the right reasons. i'm sorry to be so negative but axl does EVERYTHING wrong, imo. it's all his fault. who else is there to blame? the weak link is clearly axl... and imo he's not even trying at all, he didn't care to practice one night before, knowing the set and stage would be totally different.

why dave grohl doesn't fuck up on tv? trent reznor? bruce springsteen? bono?

I totally agree.

I said this early, but it got buried.

I think the reason people are bagging on it so much was because of the missed opportunity.

Concerts/songs on youtube are followed by the die-hard fans of the band.

But an event like an awards show is watched/followed by millions of rock fans who aren't necessarily die-hard GnR fans.

This was an opportunity for GnR to build up a MOUNTAIN of positive press and momentum. An A-plus performance last night literally could have boosted sales of their next round of concert dates by 10-20% (I'm guessing on that number). This was a chance for rock fans to go "Wow, Axl still has it. That band is tight. We might just have to go check them out live and I'll definitely give their next album a chance"..........but instead, all people are talking about is him being out of breath, forgetting lyrics and DJ's general cringeworthyness (is that an actual word?).

This could have been a HUGE event for the current band. A chance to add positivity to their legacy as a band. Instead......more people are making fun of it than anything. Rio, Bridgeport, Revolver - high profile, high watched events. Those are the ones you really have to knock out the of park.

who can be so harsh & rude towards a man who has worked his ass for his fans most of his life & being awarded for his acheivement.

23 years. 1 album.

Again, lifetime achievement is for people like Prince, Dylan and Springsteen who have put out tens of records over decades.

Am I the only one who actually chuckled out loud and said "There it is! Part 3!" during This I Love? I can't be the only one.

yeah haha, i think it was nosaj or bacardi, what a night

Nosaj Thing was hysterical, posting in caps and laughing maniacally. Probably petting a black cat simultaneously.

The funny thing is that these Axl worshippers get really offended like "angelsecrets" who can't stand the idea that someone criticizes their favourite singer..I myself like Axl and his voice/lyrics/stage presence etc. but I'm not completely blind what is happening here like what happened yesterday..I think it's a good thing to say when Axl has had bad performances and point out how to improve cause we all love him and wish him the best..