Axl's reason not to attend Hall of Fame was...

Axl's "reasons"  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Axl has issues with Slash that haven't been resolved in private, or mended fences in any way. GNR as a body of work isn't being acknowledged, and that includes the Chinese Democracy era. The whole thing of which band member from which era making it in went out the window when Trujillo and Klinghoffer got their trophies, and it was the moment where the Rock Hall lost credibility as a prestigious award .

The money goes to keep the museum open because it's in fucking Cleveland. Some money gets filtered out to local kids who show interest in music.

For him to sit at a banquet table around people who can't stand him, to pay out of his own pocket to attend an award show that's supposedly in the band's honor? That's why I think Izzy didn't bother going. He wasn't going to waste his time going there, sitting around bored off his ass for the 15-20 minutes of patting themselves on the back. Basically - no money in it, not really a prestigious award, fuck it, didn't go, but thanks all the same.

Axl gave a shit, he wrote a letter, used that time in between tour legs to debate whether or not to go, and looked into it. He thanked the Rock Hall and the voters, so he was gracious about it. Maybe GNR could have been touring, but with Ron's situation, it was for the best they had that time off.

I am a big Axl fan and have supported many of his decisions thru the years. However, I find it absolutely rediculous that he did not show up for this. I think it was a huge PR mistake as it makes Axl look like an even bigger ass than most people already think he is. It's also a slap in the face to fans who want to see their favorite band given one if the most prestigious awards in the industry. I have no misconceptions about a reunion. It is never going to happen and people are foolish to keep thinking it may. It just would of been nice to see Axl accept this award on behalf of the fans, act like an adult and acknowledge that the old band collectively earned this.

I vote other reason.For me its obvius that apart of the hate to Slash,he is really afraid to face him,i bet when slash went to Axl house he was ear on the wall with his pant shitted while beta was speaking with him.

Btw where do Slash live? does he live in the same town as Axl? I would love a encounter in the street for surprise like round the corner.I bet Slash would be like "hello,Axl....." and Axl would be like " Why does this happen to me,Oh shit"

It's 100% Slash, he'd be (even more) insane if he thought he could take the 'NuGNR' and if he thought this would dimish his work with NuGNR then he really needs to take a look in the mirror because he's doing a mighty fight job of that by not releasing music.

People still crying about the R&RHOF, too funny. It's over. Nothing you say or do can change anything.

Lot of people put all their eggs in that basket.

That's where the fairytale reunion was going to happen, right out of the Hollywood script.

Pretty foolish.

Bullseye.

"Accomodated" to Axl means Slash is banned from the building.

And at least 3 mentions by whoever inducts him that the guy is a liar and general bad egg.

It probably wasn't worth the trouble. But what happened was a disgrace.

I would say all of the above with the "Axl's current band was not included" option being the most lunatic one.

I just had to put that option too cause we know how crazy Axl is :lol:

And there are people that think that.

I just had a dust up at HTGTH about it. People making the argument (with a straight face, mind you) that there is no criteria as to who goes in, so its all just very confusing, you see.

Give me a god damn break. In no rational universe was the band Guns N' Roses inducted for one single thing that happened after 1993.

I would say all of the above with the "Axl's current band was not included" option being the most lunatic one.

I just had to put that option too cause we know how crazy Axl is :lol:

I just had a dust up at HTGTH about it. People making the argument (with a straight face, mind you) that there is no criteria as to who goes in, so its all just very confusing, you see.

Give me a god damn break. In no rational universe was the band Guns N' Roses inducted for one single thing that happened after 1993.

The only criteria is that everyone inducted had to have been in after the first recording over 25 years ago. There was no mention of record sales being a factor until later. It's fine if they want to acknowledge classic albums, but if they're acknowledging the band, should be covering the spectrum of the band's career and not cherry picking.

It was discussed that Axl wanted his band to be labeled as "Guns N' Roses" at one table and the former members responsible for AFD, Lies and UYIs sitting at another table labeled as "former members". He also wanted his band to perform and he wanted them inducted. Of course, as it had to happen in a normal world, he was told lol no then he got butthurt and cried about it in his letter "not knowing what the Hall of Fame is really about".:lol:

Of course, that's all speculation and most information came from a former D-class wrestler so you should always take it with a grain of salt.

Either way, he didn't want to attend and I'm happy he didn't. The rest of the guys gave a great performance. :)

It was discussed that Axl wanted his band to be labeled as "Guns N' Roses" at one table and the former members responsible for AFD, Lies and UYIs sitting at another table labeled as "former members". He also wanted his band to perform and he wanted them inducted. Of course, as it had to happen in a normal world, he was told lol no then he got butthurt and cried about it in his letter "not knowing what the Hall of Fame is really about". :lol:

Of course, that's all speculation and most information came from a former D-class wrestler so you should always take it with a grain of salt.

Either way, he didn't want to attend and I'm happy he didn't. The rest of the guys gave a great performance. :)

I can imagine some scenario occured like that - certainly a demand that nugnr play live. Unfortunately, for Axl, Slash, Duff et al. are annoying because they destroy the myth Axl has created for himself, that he somehow is GN'R. Those pesky album credits just do not go away!

I think it's more then just one reason: It's a combination of not wanting anything to do with Slash, not really recognizing the validity of the rock n' roll HOF, and also protecting the current line up and what he's trying to do with Guns. If he went and performed a few songs with Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven, I think fans would have turned against the current line up (even more) and cried reunion.

what exactly is he protecting with the current lineup and what they're trying to do? it sure is hell isn't making music -- I guess protecting the gravy train that the HOF lineup enabled him to collect on?

• Like 2

All of the above should have been an option, I think had they (rock hall) been a little more persuasive to Axl he would have come and took to the podium with the rest of the guys. I don't think a performance was ever going to be part of the deal. Axl obviously entered into a discussion with the hall, so he was willing to attend.

I'm of two minds regarding whether the new guys should have been included or not, I mean Josh from RHCP got in (one album, less than 5 years in the band) Rob from Metallica got in (one album, 10 years with the band). I don't see why some of the new guys weren't given the nod too. Rob and josh didn't do anything to propel Metallica or RHCP in the early days, why are they the exception. Tommy stinson, pitman and richard fortus toured with the band since the early 2000's and they recorded on CD, Ron has been in the band since 06' and recorded on CD. I realise there's issues with line-ups and that Guns has had a lot of in between members like tobias, bucket, finck, brain etc. but I think there's valid questions.

I know a lot of people will say the original band only, I mostly agree, GNR is the classic line-up and the use your illusion line-up... that's what people know and love, but I just don't understand the system 100% - bands treated with one set of rules to another of seemingly equal status.

The RHCP and Metallica examples are bizarre. This is what pissed off Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons the most, that Josh and Rob got inducted, but in the case of KISS, Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr won't be inducted. The most stable lineup KISS ever had was Paul, Gene, Bruce & Eric. Mark St. John shouldn't be inducted, nor should Eric Singer nor Tommy Thayer. But good cases could be made for Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick, and even Vinnie Vincent.

But those bands are all different. To say that ANY member of nuGN'R should be inducted is hogwash. The RRHOF got it right with the original lineup plus Matt. (And I don't remember if they inducted Dizzy, although I don't remember him being there at the ceremony. If they didn't induct Dizzy, then there is another instance where the RRHOF fucked up).

Slash only cares about Axl when Axl can help him musically. I think that's how Axl feels anyways. Axl seems to legitimately care about the people he works with. Slash seems very self centered. I'm sorry if that offends anyone but it's just my opinion. I'm probably dead wrong, but to me I think that's what upsets Axl the most, is that Slash didn't care about Axl's life, he only cared about the singer.

Axl is a very caring person for the people he likes. I think Duff or Steven once said that when they passed out and went to the hospital the only person there when they woke up was Axl. He always cared about everyone in the band. I don't think they showed Axl the same and that is part of what upset him with the former band.

This is why the reunion isn't happening. Axl never felt like Slash cared about him, and he isn't going to be used for Slash to make millions off him. Slash would do the reunion because he would sell albums. He has no intention of fixing his relationship with Axl.

This is very interesting and I've never heard of this before. (The Axl showing up at the hospital thing).

I've never thought of it in terms of Axl really caring about his bandmates' personal lives, whereas the others might not have.

I think it's more then just one reason: It's a combination of not wanting anything to do with Slash, not really recognizing the validity of the rock n' roll HOF, and also protecting the current line up and what he's trying to do with Guns. If he went and performed a few songs with Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven, I think fans would have turned against the current line up (even more) and cried reunion.

what exactly is he protecting with the current lineup and what they're trying to do? it sure is hell isn't making music -- I guess protecting the gravy train that the HOF lineup enabled him to collect on?

Protecting the current line up and the demand for live shows with anyone that isn't Slash, Duff, and Izzy, which seems to be his touring band currently and it's potential to maybe record a new album with them in the future (as unlikely as it is) and the demand for that as well. (as small as some may think it is)

Slash only cares about Axl when Axl can help him musically. I think that's how Axl feels anyways. Axl seems to legitimately care about the people he works with. Slash seems very self centered. I'm sorry if that offends anyone but it's just my opinion. I'm probably dead wrong, but to me I think that's what upsets Axl the most, is that Slash didn't care about Axl's life, he only cared about the singer.

Axl is a very caring person for the people he likes. I think Duff or Steven once said that when they passed out and went to the hospital the only person there when they woke up was Axl. He always cared about everyone in the band. I don't think they showed Axl the same and that is part of what upset him with the former band.

This is why the reunion isn't happening. Axl never felt like Slash cared about him, and he isn't going to be used for Slash to make millions off him. Slash would do the reunion because he would sell albums. He has no intention of fixing his relationship with Axl.

Yes, you did caveat it that it is your opinion.

But how did you come to that conclusion? Have you personally talked with Axl and Slash? Or worked with people who are close with Slash? I only ask as you paint Axl in a heavenly position and Slash like an evil person. Common sense would probably say you are exaggerating on both sides.

Yes, you did caveat it that it is your opinion.

But how did you come to that conclusion? Have you personally talked with Axl and Slash? Or worked with people who are close with Slash? I only ask as you paint Axl in a heavenly position and Slash like an evil person. Common sense would probably say you are exaggerating on both sides.

Let me clarify for you. Since this discussion is over why AXL decided not to attend I decided to write a post that would be in line with Axl's point of view. Axl's point of view will tend to paint Slash in a negative light. I processed my opinion by statements Axl and Slash have made in the past regarding their relationship. Axl has always known what Slash is up to and is concerned with who Slash associates with. This indicates that Axl cares about Slash. Slash interviews are brief and he says he doesn't care what Axl is up to. Possibly indicating that he doesn't care about Axl. Now my opinions are equally as valid and invalid as everyone else's here, I just simply wanted to bring to light a discussion that is often not discussed. And that's how much Axl actually cares about people around him. And possibly why he has been so upset with Slash.

Now common sense would tell you that since this is about why Axl did not attend the Rock and roll hall of fame, that Slash might be painted in a negative light. I'm sorry if you were offended by my opinions and the discussion I brought up regarding how Axl MIGHT feel, and why he was hurt by Slash.

• Like 3

Dizzy was inducted yes, and if he was, Gilby should have been too. It was awesome seeing him play the songs with the band again.

Dizzy played on UYI though. Gilby was just a touring member that replaced Izzy's guitar track on TSI.

Dizzy was inducted yes, and if he was, Gilby should have been too. It was awesome seeing him play the songs with the band again.

GIlby should have been too? What the fuck! No. No way.

Let me see if I understand this... you want Gilby- one of the original replacements- to get inducted? For what, the Spaghetti incident? Cut me a break. As some people are fond of pointing out around here, current Guns is up there playing songs other people wrote. Well, how is that different from Gilby?

GIlby essentially was one of the first nu-Gunners. Yep that's right! He doesn't deserve to get into the R&RHOF with GnR. Romanticizing his involvement with Guns is quite baffling and somewhat unintentionally humorous actually. He was a stand-in. Nothing more.

GIlby should have been too? What the fuck! No. No way.

Let me see if I understand this... you want Gilby- one of the original replacements- to get inducted? For what, the Spaghetti incident? Cut me a break. As some people are fond of pointing out around here, current Guns is up there playing songs other people wrote. Well, how is that different from Gilby?

GIlby essentially was one of the first nu-Gunners. Yep that's right! He doesn't deserve to get into the R&RHOF with GnR. Romanticizing his involvement with Guns is quite baffling and somewhat unintentionally humorous actually. He was a stand-in. Nothing more.

I never considered Gilby to be a true Gunner. He replaced Izzy, which was known as a great songwriter. It was the quality that defined him to many Guns fans. Gilby was never a great songwriter imo.