March 20th, 2014 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Black Sabbath

Fans are walking away, though, not just in Toronto.

Let's look at Rio and Buenos Aires, possibly the 2 biggest markets.

2010:

Rio: 20,609 / 35,000

Buenos Aires: 35,814 / 43,249

A hell of a lot more tickets than they could sell anywhere else, not bad.

Come 2011, though, they're playing a venue for around 20,000 in Buenos Aires.

2014, they can't sell out 13,500 tickets for Rio, and they're just doing one show in Argentina, in an EVEN SMALLER venue than 2011, which still hasn't sold out.

What were ticket prices for each year? I seem to recall a recent thread stating that they were exceedingly high this year. Can you confirm or deny?

Dunno about 2010/11 prices, you'll have to ask Cosmo and Manets. I paid £60 for my Buenos Aires ticket this year for front of stage, though the equivalent ticket at Rio was upwards of £130 (according to estebanf, Buenos Aires was the cheapest South American show this year). Things are getting expensive in Rio in general, though, and it's not like people's wages are going up with inflation. Still, I'm pretty sure a lot of fans would give an arm and a leg for a decent show with new music.

• Like 1

Say all the guys walk away... Do you honestly think Axl will just go over to the old band and ask them to join him and everything will be peachy?

Pipe dreams mate. :tongue2:

Not exactly holding out for a miracle.

If it did happen though, it would be huge and you know it..

I can never deny that, ever, no one can, fuck anyone anywhere would see that show, it would sell out in seconds across every market.

I hold out hope because I know that will never happen. The band has been my fav for as long as I can remember, the very fact that any of these guys still play and I can go and enjoy them makes me happy. When they split back then I thought it was over, it's not thank god.

I did have the opportunity to see them back in the day, I am grateful for that and also that they are all still alive and playing.

Creating new music? Some are, I hope we hear something new from Axl though. In that regard it does suck being a fan these days, I love the old music no shit but I wanna hear more ya know?

Say all the guys walk away... Do you honestly think Axl will just go over to the old band and ask them to join him and everything will be peachy?

I can never deny that, ever, no one can, fuck anyone anywhere would see that show, it would sell out in seconds across every market.

I hold out hope because I know that will never happen. The band has been my fav for as long as I can remember, the very fact that any of these guys still play and I can go and enjoy them makes me happy. When they split back then I thought it was over, it's not thank god.

I did have the opportunity to see them back in the day, I am grateful for that and also that they are all still alive and playing.

Creating new music? Some are, I hope we hear something new from Axl though. In that regard it does suck being a fan these days, I love the old music no shit but I wanna hear more ya know?

Yeah but, see, I don't know that it will never happen.

I've seen this exact same rift in KISS. Old school fans thought they would never NEVER see the original line up together again. The animosity was massive.

The crap they flung back and forth at each other for years pretty much nailed the reunion coffin shut.

I thought it would never happen, until the day I found myself driving to Tiger Stadium in Detroit back in '96.

If it doesn't happen with Guns, well, it would be interesting for Axl to give people a reason to believe in this line up going forward.

I've seen this exact same rift in KISS. Old school fans thought they would never NEVER see the original line up together again. The animosity was massive.

The crap they flung back and forth at each other for years pretty much nailed the reunion coffin shut.

I thought it would never happen, until the day I found myself driving to Tiger Stadium in Detroit back in '96.

If it doesn't happen with Guns, well, it would be interesting for Axl to give people a reason to believe in this line up going forward.

I cannot disagree with that man... Give us a reason.

I never saw my frustration being about wanting a reunion it's always been the lack of new music

I have noticed on HTGTH when someone complains the reply always goes back to the fan wanting a reunion which is a pretty big assumption to make in some cases.

Zint Is on a roll. Lots of spot on comments imo and also reflect my own feelings to a degree although I'm still holding out a fraction of hope for... Something.

Oh me too!

I'd love to see some good new tunes surface, a tour with minimal classic tunes...this line up standing on its own merits, a reason to go see this band again.

I'm not exactly screaming reunion, but if the load's blown and they need classic Guns tunes to lubricate, well... :shrugs:

I think Axl is an artist who deeply believes in the music he creates. He doesn't churn out generic sex n drugs rock for the hell of it, everything he's released is ta musical road map of his life and emotions (it's just sheer coincidence that AFD was about those things due to his age at the time). For whatever reason there is a current block in creativity, whether that's him, external forces or both.

In my opinion he knows he's phoning it in at this point, hence the lack of enthusiasm at times, the shades, hats and jackets. It's the equivalent of a dirty protest. I'm not saying he's not having fun sometimes, I'm sure Vegas is a blast but something has forced him down this nostalgia route and it seems like he is making the best of it but at the same time not giving anything of himself away. Maybe it's a self preservation method?

I think if he ever has something else to say we will know about it and it will probably knock us sideways. It's entirely possible though he may never feel the need to do that again.

You give him too much credit.

Did you pick up a hitchhiker? And was your mom there protesting the concert?

So what's the point of Axl continuing with a new version of GnR then?

Axl has a large appetite and Brazilian family he needs to feed.

If he's going to waste his time going through the motions of playing a show, he might as well do it under the GNR banner where he can put more butts in the seats.

That has been his plan all along. He is just far more transparent about it now.

Dude, Axl of 2014 may be a joke, but give pre-2011 Axl his due.

This is a man who wants to play new music and give it his fucking all why doing so:

That's actually quite tough to watch... Such an amazing performance. Seems like an absolute lifetime ago and a completely different person :cry:

Wow. That was lights out.

If GnR played a couple new songs and Axl sang like this............I think the rock world would LOVE it.

That's like starting Round Two off with a one-punch knock out.

That's what is so frustrating to me, as a fan.

Axl still has the fire in him. He still has the talent to write amazing songs.

IF Axl wanted to, this band could be huge again. Why is he content to go the easy nostalgic route?

His die-hard fans seem to have more confidence in his ability than he and Beta do.

If they've got two new songs in the vault that sound like Better and Twat and they bust them out live this tour, the positive press and momentum would be off the charts.

If he's going to waste his time going through the motions of playing a show, he might as well do it under the GNR banner where he can put more butts in the seats.

This is a man who wants to play new music and give it his fucking all why doing so:

That's actually quite tough to watch... Such an amazing performance. Seems like an absolute lifetime ago and a completely different person :cry:

If GnR played a couple new songs and Axl sang like this............I think the rock world would LOVE it.

IF Axl wanted to, this band could be huge again. Why is he content to go the easy nostalgic route?

His die-hard fans seem to have more confidence in his ability than he and Beta do.

If they've got two new songs in the vault that sound like Better and Twat and they bust them out live this tour, the positive press and momentum would be off the charts.

Very much agree with this.. Two solid new rock songs/get in decent shape (doesn't have to be great but if you want to be in the spotlight do it)/actually promote and push said music lk a mutherfuker (utilize DJ's only skills) and they could definitely make a little spark in today's music world especially with the music having the gnr name on it.. I mean your not gona take over the world but no one does anymore.

Very much agree with this.. Two solid new rock songs/get in decent shape (doesn't have to be great but if you want to be in the spotlight do it)/actually promote and push said music lk a mutherfuker (utilize DJ's only skills) and they could definitely make a little spark in today's music world especially with the music having the gnr name on it.. I mean your not gona take over the world but no one does anymore.

is there a vid of stinson's new cover up yet

It's not a new cover for Tommy...but the GnR version last night I haven't come across as of yet.

lol I found that one last night, was hopping the gnr one would be better and that one would just slip by unnoticed. :lol:

No such luck! :tongue2:

The decline of a voice is hardly trivial when it's your main asset. And he seems to have no energy at all in performances of songs like YCBM and Nightrain. If this is gonna be it from here on out, why bother, other than to rake money in from fans who would be happy just to see you stand there while a backing band plays their favourite songs? I once saw the 2001 line-up described as Las Vegas Guns N' Roses, and I think that was unfair and just incorrect to describe that line-up, but it's very much the case these days.

Why bother? Because he enjoys it? Because thousands of concert-goers enjoy it? Because it is a way to make a living? What reasons do he really need to continue as an entertainer? That he must fullfil some hardcore fans unrealistic expectations of what GN'R anno 2014 would be? Nah ;).

You are certainly entitled to not enjoy the performance, just as you are entitled to not spend money on the shows. But to extrapolate from your own disappointment and conclude that he should just give it up the day after what appears to have been a good show (based on reviews), is a bit bizarre.

You're right it is unrealistic to ask a professional singer to sing at professional standards, you are also right that a professional touring band should not have to release music that's just greed and self entitlement from an already spoiled fan base.

Buddy, who cares about reviews... we're watching it, may be a poor quality video but we can still hear him struggling with little to no power, if you think that's acceptable good for you, you've managed to turn yourself into another yes man... exactly what Axl needs. Being honest is everyone right, and my honest opinion is I haven't watched a great performance from axl since 2010, and 2010 was not the be all and end all either, he was still really out of breath. We love Gnr music but we can say when something is not good and still be fans. These past few years of performances are not on the level you expect from Axl or any other pro musician, sorry!

• Like 1

I'm no big fan of the Boss, but damn ... that is one impressive performance that puts many younger singers to shame ...

the boss likely takes HGH but yes, he puts on a killer show, especially given his age.

He's also in the gym every other day. Morning after the Rio show in September, he was seen jogging on the beach. His next gig wasn't until February.