March 20th, 2014 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Black Sabbath

"All cautions raised, every chance was given, no efforts made, to play the new songs"

i know i should probably tell everyone to ease up on the 'fat axl' type comments/jokes but golly, this made me laugh quite a lot.

seriously though, i know everyone's a little miffed but just try to keep the criticisms somewhat constructive, yeah? thanks.

Seriously - this. We don't have a problem with people being upset about the setlist, Axl's voice, etc. But we've been down the road about his weight so many times, do we really need to rehash it here?

Really? You make it sound like it's the 10th show in on the tour and we're still having the same discussion. It's show #1, and we haven't seen him since.....when? There's an 18 page thread on how he was spotted, allegedly, looking like he was in great shape - "a totally different person" - I think was the quote. And people are surprised that his appearance would be a topic up for debate? That's funny.

History has proven that what kind of shape Axl is in has a direct correlation to what type of performance he gives. As this performance wasn't his best, to put it nicely, I think it's only normal to bring up some possibilities as to why. Weight being the most obvious as it's something you can see immediately. Over the course of 10 years I've read thousands of posts I didn't like, big deal. Not once have I ever whined to a mod " Someone said Slash has man-boobs. There are children in Uruguay who will be deeply affected by this for their entire lives because their own fathers have man-boobs. Come on, wtf. I have nothing against Rita, I've defended her more times than I can count. (And I'm only singling her out because both your responses seem to have been influenced by her posts). But since when does one poster dictate what an entire forum can discuss? Or is there a bigger picture here that we are all missing?

Great post.

I remember in Madrid 2006, so much energy, indeed looking (without sunglasses) at us in front-row, I felt an incredible charisma from the guy (btw during Twat, you could read in his eyes "downloadin motherfuckers" while looking at us singing the yet-unreleased song).

In 2012, I did not feel it again.

Same. In 2002 at London Docklands I remember during Madagascar Axl looked down at me singing for what seemed like ten seconds. In 2006 I was front centre at all four Hammerstein shows and he gave me so much attention. In 2002 it was definitely more of a nervous energy than 2006-2010: he wasn't sure of himself and was quite deer-in-the-headlights at times. But he was still engaging the best way he could. No fucking sunglasses and hats so we can forgive the jerseys and white sneakers.

Yeah, we go the downloading-mutherfuckers bit in NYC but he meant it in a good natured way. I remember at many 2006 shows I went to all the band seemed constantly amazed by and pointed out people singing the new songs to oneanother.

I can only guess that in his head Axl has come to equate all those people, and all the 'hard-core' fans with the fans on the board who have been against him from the start. I remember after playing one of the private parties to a bunch of rich fuckers who barely knew the hits he said something like 'what gives you the right to say who is hard-core? what does hard-core even mean anyway?'

This band is so over I feel bad for anyone expecting anything new.

I've read people say Axl is lazy. Ya, he may be lazy, but worse than that he's uninspired and seemingly has been since at least 2007.

It is sort of tragic to see someone who used to care so much about their art to just give up and go through the motions to make money. Axl Rose may be the biggest fall from grace in music history.

This one show some promise for future shows I think:

That's... actually pretty decent. Much better than the other videos posted here. There's at least some passion and energy in that performance compared to YCBM and Nightrain.

This one show some promise for future shows I think:

That's... actually pretty decent. Much better than the other videos posted here. There's at least some passion and energy in that performance compared to YCBM and Nightrain.

This song probably still means something to him.

South Americans are a lot more into Chinese stuff than europe fans by far. No one seems to know the words past the first few rows.

Yup. Which is why I don't buy the "South Americans just go for nostalgia" excuse. These guys obviously want new music, too. A new song could leak now and probably half the crowd would be singing along in Belo Horizonte if it was performed.

Wow, 114 pages! I guess you are all as exited as I am about a good start to the tour with the band firing on all cylinders and Axl in good shape. From the reviews I have read this was a great concert. A really promising start to 2014.

715d1348219178-2012-what-my-chances-inte

Good to see you back, btw :)

Wow, 114 pages! I guess you are all as exited as I am about a good start to the tour with the band firing on all cylinders and Axl in good shape. From the reviews I have read this was a great concert. A really promising start to 2014.

715d1348219178-2012-what-my-chances-inte

Good to see you back, btw :)

Thanks!

Wasn't it a good start to the tour? What was wrong?

Just a few things, since it took forever to get through a few pages of this thread. I can't hear much over the crowd. Certainly not well enough to applaud or condemn his performance. Also, I agree with P5. Axl's weight has be rehashed hundreds of times on here. Who the fuck cares? First, he IS NOT fat. Is he a svelte 130 lbs that he probably was when he was cramming himself into his leather pants? No. But to be honest, I would much rather he dress the way he does and keep his performance/dancing a bit more age appropriate. Even if he was still the weight he was 25 years ago, I would be a bit put off by a man in his 50's wearing little white spandex pants and gyrating his "serpentine" on the mic stand. I realize that some people are under the impression that because he's Axl, he must always look like he did 15, 20, 30 years ago, with his long, flowing locks and his whipcord lean body but this isn't the case. He's fucking human. There is so much bitching on here about his weight, his clothes, his hats, his hair, his mustache....WHO CARES?! I want some new music. I don't give a shit if he looks like Meatloaf. I can guarantee that he presently looks far more attractive than 90% of the cupcakes on this site who feel the need to continually bash his appearance. I am here because I like this band. I love the music. I don't give a rats ass about what shirt/ pant/boot/jacket combo Axl has pulled out of his wardrobe.

I hope this tour only gets better and better. I hope we hear more rasp. I hope he wears whatever the fuck he wants.

POSITIVE MEDIA NEWS

Google translated: http://www.rockemgeral.com.br/2014/03/21/em-dia/

At the opening of the tour yesterday in Rio, Guns N 'Roses is the best show in Brazil since the band became the private property of Axl Rose.Photo: Luciano Oliveira.

Posted on March 21, 2014
guns14-3.jpg

"God helps those early hours, but sleeping is not a sin" should be the mantra of the Latin American, according Ze Rodrix, but the saying wears well for Axl Rose. Even with all the care in production so there would be delays, as always happens in a show of Guns N 'Roses , the band took the stage yesterday at HSBC Arena in Rio, about 1:45 a.m. after the scheduled time for the start. Interestingly, many of the fans also arrived on the loop, as a tacit agreement with the singer, who rose early and fell to loosen boos during intervals between songs that were mechanically repeated. Jeers that surely turned into applause and much - much the same - excitement, paying off the debt of the band that almost succumbed to the downpour that fell on the show Rock In Rio 2011 ( see as it was ). According to the producers, about 13,000 people attended the show.

At 2:20 a.m. with lots of explosions, generous lighting, pyrotechnics and finish with shredded paper lacy air, Guns touched everything that the audience wanted to hear. Are hits from the golden age of the band before the megalomaniac Axl freak out and take the group to another, and the songs of the album "Chinese Democracy", that even if it took a thousand years to be released and even today, six years after the delivery, it is still considered "new" for many good people out there. In the case of Guns N'Roses, time follows another logic. The repertoire is based on residency the band played in Las Vegas in 2012, commemorating the 25th anniversary of the album "Appetite For Destruction", the classic Realm First, and four years of "Chinese Democracy," which resulted in the DVD "Appetite For Democracy ", to be released in April (details here ).

guns14-4.jpg

The novelty is the inclusion of two songs sung by other members: "Teenage Kicks", bassist Tommy Stinson, and "Abnormal", guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. Not that it was the first time that this has happened, but points to a new ruse group.Together for about eight years, with the exception of guitarist DJ Ashba, who joined in 2009, this training is now very well knit, which can directly influence the composition and recording a new album, it is that one day it will actually happen .But it promises, promises. Paradoxically, only what can ruin a show of Guns N'Roses today is the performance of the single member of the classic lineup of the group, grimy Axl Rose.

Yesterday, he was fine with the voice on the day, although it has gone through ups and downs during the show. And look at that presentation is planned with various instrumental interventions so that Axl has mini breaks - reportedly - go here behind the stage to receive a little extra oxygen and, to boot, swap jacket and hat. But the back and forth, this time, did not seem as frequent as in concerts 2011, Rock in Rio and in 2010 ( recall ). In the inflections of "Better" early evening; variations in the beautiful "Sweet Child O'Mine" and at the end of "November Rain", Axl tells very well and passes receipt gogó another. Have the wildest part of "You Could Be Mine", even in the difficult time of the original recording in the studio, he suffers a bit. Over time, Axl, 52, will have to find a different way of interpreting certain songs, as with other more mature vocalists mode. But it is not on the tax position of vocalist who harnesses a rock concert. The public knows this and esbalda each hit, especially the older and ingrown relentlessly in the memory of every mortal.

guns14-5.jpg

The so-called land of the guitarists are actually moments of instrumental music that sound like luxury ranges. Although they have fled the obvious quotations from the past (no one else can handle the theme of "The Godfather" consecrated by Slash), you can notice in which source each drink. The discrete Richard Fortus begins as funk rock Jeff Beck and ends in blues remember Jimmy Page , no less than two of the successors of Jimi Hendrix . DJ Ashba, clone pluperfect Slash, top hat and all, goes on more contemporary line identified with Steve Vai and contributes a lot in filling the songs. Bumblefoot, after passing through a heavy regime abuses the double neck guitars, and - then, yes, solo - carries one of the most exciting moments of the night to play the National Anthem. What seemed to be an appealing patacoada becomes a beautiful demonstration of pride when the audience sings the lyrics in unison. And bassist Tommy Stinson, who has been the Replacements, fitted cover for the great punk rock "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones.

The highlights are obvious to show a band with both blockbuster and little new repertoire, but as not to be moved to "Sweet Child O 'Mine" (a song that fattening your bank account Slash), coladinha in "November Rain" even if Axl and piano are not raised like in the past? And the chills with guitar solo that introduces the beautiful "Estranged", who returned to the repertoire after the show at Rock In Rio 2011? In extended versions, "Do not Cry" and "Knockin 'On Heaven's Door", this an interesting vocal duet unexpected Axl fine people with pubic grow a bit later in the show. And by "This I Love", one of the "new" with dramatic tones, and "You Could Be Mine", scraping the pan with Axl's voice cause commotion in public. Luck who took the whistle and microphone Wireless launched the populace in "Paradise City", which, of course, was reserved for the closure. Can note here: it was the best show of Guns N'Roses in Brazil since the band became private property of the coup Axl Rose.

guns14-6.jpg

What's that GN'R shirt Frank is wearing in that first picture? Never seen it, but I like it.

I don´t know where the fuck you´ve been and it´s not important right now. Welcome back!!! :headbang: